I'm new...need motivating friends to do this with

Options
Hi, I'm 35 years old and I'm sick of being overweight. I LOVE FOOD AND LOTS OF IT. I actually never was overweight and looked great all through highschool and was even on the dance team. I didn't listen to my mom when she told me I would need to watch what I eat eventually!!! :(:( Anyway, I went to college and gained 40lbs in 1 semester. Pretty bad huh?!! 120 to 160. Then I had my first child, gained 50, lost 30 after, then 2nd child, gained 50. So I was pretty much at 230 at that time and i took a diet drug and got all the way down to 145! I was ecstatic and even though my dr said ok you have to keep exercising and watching calories after you get off this drug, of course, I felt confident and didn't do that and i gained it all back (along with having another baby and quitting smoking)....its been an uphill battle since highschool and as confident and fit as i was back then, I CANNOT get used to being fat. I'm depressed, I hate looking in the mirror, trying on clothes in a dressing room is frickin scary....I have got to do something! I just found this site today and my elliptical comes in tomorrow. FINALLY. A little present to myself with my bonus from work. Now, I just need friends that are struggling with this food addiction like me and want to take this journey with me so I dont feel so alone! If you need a buddy who can relate to what im going through...please send me a message!!!
thanks
amy

Replies

• MARANDA606
    Options
    I too amtired of being overwieght. I started this looking for people to help me along the way to loose weight.
  • Bubbles99207
    Bubbles99207 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    You can do it!!! We are all in the same boat and trying to do the bet thing for us! The hardest part for me is after I get out of work and the weekends - were I get the munchies! I am trying to get on my treadmill every time before I raid my house! Also having good stuff vs bad stuff in the house helps me a lot. I only do my treadmill in the mornings and most of the times at night. I have lost weight, the most crucial thing you can do is log the food before you eat and see if its worth it :-)
  • lesbusch
    lesbusch Posts: 1
    Options
    I've been up and down over the last 2 years. I'm 54 and need to lose 20 lbs. It gets harder as you get older and I'm not big on excersize. My girlfriend turned me on too this site she has lost 15lbs. in 2 months, and she works out 3 days a week. It really makes you aware of how many calories we eat in a day. I'm going to stick with this and look forward to hearing anyone's progress. Good Luck
  • danahake
    danahake Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Love this site. Most people are supportive. The calculators are great. I also wanna drop another 30 lbs. I go to gym 3 -5 days a week, stay under 1000 cals, take appetite suppressants, and b12 / lipo shots.. The combo seems to be working great. The best decision i made was going to a diet clinic and being under a dr's care. :) good luck to everyone..
  • kitkatwag
    kitkatwag Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    feel free to add me...I have lost 24# since finding mfp, the other was lost about 3 years ago.
  • fittertanme
    fittertanme Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    welcome to a site were you will lose the weight and on the way join a great group of friends who like me will give support and all the help you could want and a whole lot more so dont be a fraid to ask as we dont bite please feel free to add me if you want to seehow I did it
    steve
  • RHeishman
    RHeishman Posts: 32
    Options
    We are in this together. I too, love to have encouragement. I watch motivation videos sometimes. For example, I love to watch the Ray Lewis videos on youtube. He is a HUGE inspiration to the players on the Baltimore Ravens. He does not quit.
    You can do this, we all can. You have to want it!!!
    I am like you, cutting out the foods I love to eat. Remember something, food addiction is just like a drug addiction. We have to go through the withdraw period.
    I will do everything I can possibly do to help motivate you!!!
  • cindylocks
    cindylocks Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hey there!
    Your story sounds a lot like mine!! I was 230 in high school, lost a bunch of weight on weight watchers and got down to like 145. then college and life happened and then i was back up to like 245! I am ready to loose it all and keep it off. I am definitely a foodie also. I LOVE FOOD!!! so I know your struggles first hand and how hard it all is.
    My tips:
    -You just have to take it one day at a time!
    -Start each day new. Don't dwell on what you could of, should of, didn't or were supposed to do yesterday!
    - start small! and don't over work yourself (or over exercise yourself) if you do that you will do more damage than good and burn out quickly not wanting to exercise at all!
    -The weight will shed eventually,. we didn't get this way overnight!
    - drink plenty of water
    - spread meals throughout the day to avoid feeling that raging hunger pain or that feeling of wanting to shove your face full of anything in sight! (especially sweets and carbs! lol)
    - Pre-plan meals so you don't find yourself itching for something else. make a plan and stick to it so that you don't add that extra portion or extra something to feel so over the edge full.
    - keep water handy. the more you drink the easier it will be to keep your calorie intake low.
    - post motivating thoughts and phrases around the house such as on the fridge or food cabinet on a sticky note reminding you why you're not eating an extra cookie!
    - keep healthy things at eye level in the fridge or cabinet so when you do have a craving you have to search in a high cabinet or in the back of the cabinet/fridge for the unhealthy things.
    - if you are visual like me, you can download a thermometer picture you can fill in as you get that smoken hot body from all this exercise and calorie counting. you can get it from http://www.dwlz.com/thermometer2.html which is another good place for inspiration and feel good messages. It also shows restaurant food items and their calorie contents as well as alcoholic beverages.
    -remember to hang in there!
    Cindylocks