Did I get the right HRM?

Options
zyxst
zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
I went shopping for a new digital scale and an HRM. I found one at Wal-mart that measured heart rate and calories, an S7 iirc, not sure if it had a chest strap, but hubby wanted to look at SportChek in case we found something better. Well, we bought a Timex Easy Trainer HRM, which only measures heart rate. We went with Timex because we trust the brand. I came here and searched for HRM and found a thread talking about how crap Timex ones were (not accurate).

Did I get screwed buying this? I can return it within 60 days. If I keep this one, should I start working out with it or wear it while resting to get a baseline heart rate?

Is the S7 reliable?

Replies

• jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Polars are the best from what I have heart. I ADORE my Polar FT4, and it gives me calories burned. I reccomend you spend the money and get a good one.
  • zyxst
    Options
    Looks like the Polar ones have metal on the wrist band and I haven't been able to find one at a store in my area. I guess I'll wait until Monday/Tuesday and take this one back. Back to guessing calories for me.
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Looks like the Polar ones have metal on the wrist band and I haven't been able to find one at a store in my area. I guess I'll wait until Monday/Tuesday and take this one back. Back to guessing calories for me.

The latch is metal but it doesn't touch your skin. Everything else is plastic.

Don't buy specialized things in stores silly goose: http://www.bodytronics.com/p/polar_heart_rate_monitors/POFT4

Shipped to your door, $62. BOOM.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    I've had timex for over a year and i like it. it's always been very accurate. i have the fitness hrm though, not the one you bought. it is a chest one that calculates your max beats per minute and calories burned based on weight and your heart rate. mine was under $50 on ebay.

the good things about timex is that you can replace the battery yourself for cheap. other brands you have to send out which costs nearly the same as the watch.
  • zyxst
    Options

The latch is metal but it doesn't touch your skin. Everything else is plastic.

Don't buy specialized things in stores silly goose: http://www.bodytronics.com/p/polar_heart_rate_monitors/POFT4

Shipped to your door, $62. BOOM.
    I apologize for wanting to read the label and hold it in my hands before buying. Also, no credit card.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    the good things about timex is that you can replace the battery yourself for cheap. other brands you have to send out which costs nearly the same as the watch.

This is not true.. All HRM's for the most part allow you to change the battery yourself. It's the older Polars(F Series) that require you to send the unit back to have the battery changed.

To OP:
    The thread you read is right.. Timex is awful at estimating calories burned.. esp for women.

If you want a Polar and you need to buy it in store, look at Target or a sporting goods store.. they generally have them. All though they will be a lot more expensive then if you were to buy online.
  • Campbell4Top
    Campbell4Top Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Return it. Polar really is the best in my opinion. I have trained with the older version with the chest strap and it was wonderful for many years. I recently upgraded to the higher priced, but totally worth it, Polar sd (chest strap plus a foot pod measures speed and distance) I can't praise the Polar brand enough. I used my old one at least 4 times a week for 3 or 4 years, it NEVER had a problem. I even abused it a bit and didn't wash the conductor as often as I should've. Also, I wanted to note that someone mentioned they cost more in the store... not always true. While the advertised price was $229.99 I got mine for $179.99 by looking around at competitors and stores that have online shopping usually also have lower prices and you can get a price match (or beat!)
  • NWdreaming
    NWdreaming Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I recently got a Polar FT4 at Big 5 Sporting Goods on sale for $70. I really like it!
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I've had timex for over a year and i like it. it's always been very accurate. i have the fitness hrm though, not the one you bought. it is a chest one that calculates your max beats per minute and calories burned based on weight and your heart rate. mine was under $50 on ebay.

I've owned Timex, Sportsline, Garmin and Polar. All of them you can change the battery yourself. The older Polar (like mine) say it should be sent in because there's a gasket inside but, really you it's the easiest. Take out 4 screws, change battery, make sure gasket hasn't moved, and put the screws back in.

The Timex and Sportsline I had were both great but only lasted a year(ish). I've heard other people have had them forever.. The Garmin and Polar have both stood the test of time and a ton of use.

Definitely return the one you got and try again.

If you can't find Polar around you just look for a different version of the Timex. A couple things to look for - 1. personalized settings (age, gender, weight), 2. chest strap (adds accuracy), 3. Calorie Counter built in, 4. Heart Rate alerts (if your concerned about being in too high of a range for too long), and 5. VO2 max (this is just a bonus but, if it has this setting it is even more accurate).
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I have a New Balance N4 & I'm very happy with it. Can change the battery myself, it's easy to use & has a chest strap. They run about $70 at Target, less online, but of course you would need to find a site that takes PayPal if you don't have a credit card. But they are easily found in stores. Just another option. :smile:
  • JodieElijah
    JodieElijah Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Another vote for polar here. You can buy them on ebay also.
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    I was recently looking also, and Target has the Polar FT7 i think, but it's 110~ dollars.
    They also have some really cheap looking off brands, but it's not near those =)