Constant plateaus

Options
I'm always hitting plateaus. I have 8 more pounds to lose and it's getting pretty frustrating. I lose a pound and then for the next few weeks, my weight stays the same. I'm not really sure what to do anymore. I usually have tennis practice and burn about 500-700 calories a day from that. Then I do ripped in 30 and burn 200 something calories. Now that I'm exercising more, I eat 100-200 calories back. I've been zig-zagging my calorie intake. 1200 one day, 1300 the next, yesterday 1500... No real pattern, just eat more when I burn more. I feel like I've been doing everything right in regards to avoiding plateaus. Apparently not? Any advice?

Replies

• m0nster2
    m0nster2 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Sorry to say - I think it's common when you're really close to your goal weight. I started with about 13 pounds to lose. The first two came off in the first two weeks. Since then, I lose about a pound in one week and stay the same for the next 3-4 weeks. Then lose 1 pound and follow the same cycle. It's a little frustrating - but the bottom line is now I'm down to about 6 pounds left and I started on January 1. So, I'm losing slowly --- but I'm losing. Just keep that in mind the weeks when you don't lose - and keep doing what you're doing because it is working. Keep in mind, too, that it's probably better in the long term to have those periods when you're not losing because you're adjusting to your new weight. Hopefully, you'll have an easier time maintaining.
  • Hoakiebs
    Hoakiebs Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Not sure if I'm reading you right, but you say you are burning 700-900 cals. of exercise, but only eating back 1-200 of those. Listen to audio clip 2 @ www.fat2fitradio.com
  • foxydell
    foxydell Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It's very typical to plateau, especially as you get close to your goal weight. I might suggest rather than doing the same exercises on a regular basis, change it up. It sounds like tennis is something you have to do, but rather than do your tyical workout video, go online and find a great workout from YouTube that mixes things up a bit. My favorite is Zuzka Light. Short and intense. You have to change up the routine to break the plateau, though. Good luck!
  • ritayashaev
    Options
    I would suggest not to elevate the calorie intake when you exercise. Just eat 1200 calories a day despite of the calories that you burn. You will see that the weight starts to drop.
    Rita
  • uwdawg07
    uwdawg07 Posts: 372
    Options
    I'm at the same place as you. I have 6 pounds to go, but once I hit around 15 left to go I got into constant plateaus. Lose one pound one week, then nothing more for a month, etc.

It's so frustrating! But just keep at it and the weight will come off. It's because you're at a healthy weight so your body doesn't feel the need to let go of so much fat.

Keep up the good work!