Help

Options
I need help. I have not lost ANYTHING for over a month now. I am 23, 5'2 and weigh 174. My calories are currently set at 1200, but to be honest most days I end up going over by 100-200 because I'm so hungry! I am sedentary for the most part but work out 5-6 days a week at 45-70 minutes each session. I do eat my exercise calories and even bought a heart rate monitor so I now EXACTLY how many calories I burn. At this point I really don't know what to do. Even if I am going over by 100-200 on 5 of the 7 days of the week, I should still be losing something right? I'm so frustrated. Do I need to just be starving all the time and strictly stay at 1200? Any advise?

Replies

• jcummings69
    jcummings69 Posts: 183
    Options
    I need help. I have not lost ANYTHING for over a month now. I am 23, 5'2 and weigh 174. My calories are currently set at 1200, but to be honest most days I end up going over by 100-200 because I'm so hungry! I am sedentary for the most part but work out 5-6 days a week at 45-70 minutes each session. I do eat my exercise calories and even bought a heart rate monitor so I now EXACTLY how many calories I burn. At this point I really don't know what to do. Even if I am going over by 100-200 on 5 of the 7 days of the week, I should still be losing something right? I'm so frustrated. Do I need to just be starving all the time and strictly stay at 1200? Any advise?
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I am sorry you are having a hard time. But if you are burning so much when you workout you should be eating your exercise calories. You might not be eating enough or you might want to vary your workouts. I hope this helps or at least by replying I am moving your topic up. Maybe someone else can help. Dont give up!! Take care!! :flowerforyou:
  • jcummings69
    Options
    I actually am eating my exercise calories. I also feel that my work outs are varied quite a bit as I never do the same work out more than twice a week. I do Tae Bo (3 different work outs), Cardio Sculpt, walking, Cardio Jam, and Biggest Loser. I just don't get it! I am so frustrated.
  • Bert
    Bert Posts: 27
    Options
    If you haven't gained any weight, I would INCREASE calories by 100 per day. Do that for a week and keep the rest of the routine the same. Keep adding 100 calories each week to that amount as long as you don't gain any weight. Maybe you are just too low.
  • mickie
    mickie Posts: 183
    Options
    HAVE YOU MEASURED YOURSELF? I TEND TO PUT ON MUSCLE (WHICH WEIGHS MORE THAN FAT). ALTHOUGH I'VE ONLY LOST 4 1/2 POUNDS SINCE MARCH 21 MY CLOTHES ARE MUCH MORE LOSE!! MAKE SURE YOU ARE DRINKING PLENTY OF WATER AND GETTING ENOUGH PROTEIN. I ACTUALLY GAINED 1/1/2 POUNDS THE FIRST TWO WEEKS. NOW IT IS SLOWLY COMING OFF. LIKE I SAID, I GAIN MUSCLE FAIRLY EASILY. MEASURE YOURSELF, I BET YOU'VE LOST INCHES.:ohwell:
  • auntkaren
    auntkaren Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I may be all wet but if you are eating 100to200 calories five days a week that's at least 1,000 calories over. Stick to your eating 1200 calories A:ND what you burn and don't go over for a week and see if it makes a difference. And if you are hungry rethink your diet. For one thing break your meals into five mini meals and two snacks usually fruit. Get more protein with each of your meals, I use a lot of baked skinless chicken breast and turkey breast. Eat more lower calorie foods so you can have more to eat. Eat the calories you burn up. If you burn up 500 calories that day then that gives you 1700 calories you can eat. I hope you stick with it you have been working very hard.:flowerforyou:
  • jcummings69
    Options
    It usually averages about 700 over a week. I currently am set to have a 700 calorie deficient /day for a loss of 1.3 lbs/week which puts me at a 4900 deficient a week. So according to everything I read I should still be losing at least a lb a week since even if I go over 700 calories because I'll still have a 4200 calorie deficient for the week right? Something is wrong here and I don't know what. I usually go over my protein and a little under in fat. I eat breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, snack.
    I know quite a few people might say to raise my calories, which I don't mind trying, but if I were truly in starvation wouldn't I have still lost something in 4 weeks??
  • greekgyrl02
    greekgyrl02 Posts: 123
    Options
    What kind of workouts are you doing. Try eating foods that keep you fuller longer.
  • greekgyrl02
    greekgyrl02 Posts: 123
    Options
    Also, if your going over your protein that could be doing it...if your body doesnt need to repair or build the muscle or use the extra protein, its going to be stored as fat
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    I know that people aren't going to agree with this and that it's not how this is supposed to work, but I actually stopped eating my excercise calories because I wasn't losing anything and as soon as I did I dropped 2 pounds... Now my workouts dont seem as intense as yours are.... I burn 200-500 6 days a week... and I eat my 1200 everyday. Like I said, I know this isn't how its supposed to be done, and I have read Alllllllll the posts about it........ but thats what worked for me.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    It usually averages about 700 over a week. I currently am set to have a 700 calorie deficient /day for a loss of 1.3 lbs/week which puts me at a 4900 deficient a week. So according to everything I read I should still be losing at least a lb a week since even if I go over 700 calories because I'll still have a 4200 calorie deficient for the week right? Something is wrong here and I don't know what. I usually go over my protein and a little under in fat. I eat breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, snack.
    I know quite a few people might say to raise my calories, which I don't mind trying, but if I were truly in starvation wouldn't I have still lost something in 4 weeks??

Nobody should be so rigid as to not be able to tweak the numbers a bit. If you've been doing it for a while with no results (either weight or measurements), then by all means, tweak your calories a little, maybe shave 100 a day off your exercise days. Remember, every body is different (pun intended), you may have a slightly slower metabolism, or maybe you are slightly over estimating the calories you get from working out...etc. 100 calories a day would be a good start, do this for 2 or 3 weeks and see where it gets you. Don't be afraid to make small changes, sometimes that's all it takes. :happy: