8 Months, 62 lbs., and counting...

Options
rfarinha
rfarinha Posts: 388 Member
I am definitely not at goal yet, and my weight loss has started to slow down, but still moving in a downward direction. :smile:

I am 46 yrs. old, and have been married for almost 23 years (anniversary is in 2 1/2 weeks). I have raised 2 young men (they will be 18 and 20 this year), work full-time, and am a PartyLite consultant. I have not been fat my whole life, but was always bigger than all my friends, so therefore, I was fat. I get sad thinking of all those years I wasted feeling fat, when I really wasn't... like in high school when my cheer skirt was a size 9, and everyone else wore a 5 or 7. But I digress... :ohwell:

I met my husband in 1982... I was a child, I know, but we didn't start dating until I went away to college. Over the last 25-30 years, my weight has yo yo'd like crazy, with a low of 133lbs. and a high of 239 (although my Dr. said that she has me at 242, but that is with clothes on, so I am sticking with 239). :laugh: Also... my BP was 143/95 :noway: and I was Pre-Hypertensive. Never have I ever had an issue with my blood pressure, so my Dr. didn't immediately put me on medication, but instead, told me that I needed to make some changes, or medication is where I was headed.

Last July I went to a conference, and that picture (see below), is what prompted me to do "something... ANYTHING"! That and the fact that a couple of co-workers had started WW earlier in the year, and they had made amazing progress. I told myself that I couldn't think of how much weight I had to lose, or how long it would take, because that would discourage me before I even got started. Instead I thought back to where I was a year ago, and how quickly that year had passed, and how if I had started a year ago, how much better off I could have been. Side note observation - Isn't it funny how the future seems so far away, and the past seems like it was just yesterday?

So... to get started it couldn't be a "diet". It had to be something that I could sustain, a lifestyle change. Learning to eat in moderation, and make better choices. I found MFP, and began my logging everything I ate... The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. And for the record... I am not on a DIET. I eat everything. But I have found that Knowledge really is POWER. Being aware of what is going in really does help you make better choices, and if I choose to eat the french fries, or Sprinkles Cupcake, it is a decision that I make with full awareness of what the consequences are, and what I need to do to as a result.

I started going to the little fitness center in my office complex... 2x a week at first, and for 20 mins. on the elliptical/treadmill. Then 3x a week for 30 mins., and 4x for 45min. By October, I had lost 20 lbs., and decided that I wanted to try something new, so I went to my first Zumba class. After Zumba, being on the elliptical/treadmill was like torture - watching the minutes click off, and thinking the whole time, "when is this going to be over!". I also noticed that when I was in Zumba, that the hour would just fly by, and it was so much more fun, so I started looking for more classes, and by December/January was going to Zumba 5-7 days a week. For the first time ever, I have incorporated "exercise" in to my life, and am loving it - although I need to start strength training. As one of my Zumba instructors told me, "Train like a Guy, look like a Goddess!"

I also got a BodyMedia Fit armband, which I absolutely LOVE! It helps me pin down my daily calorie expenditure, which in turn helps me adjust my calories intake on a daily basis. It is also amazing to see how sedentary my life is when I can't make a class, or work-out. On a normal day that I exercise, I spend between 2500 and 2800 calories, which means I will consume between 1500-1800 and still maintain a deficit of 1000 calories per day. However, on a day that I do not exercise, I may only expend 2100-2200 calories, which means I am keeping my intake down to 1200 for the day. Plus I am able to record my workouts, and have noticed that some Instructors/Classes are more intense than others... which is clearly captured using my Armband.

Sorry for the long drawn out story, but here is my progress pic so far. First pic was taken at the conference mentioned above (pants are a 22), second pic I am wearing a size 16W, third I am in a size 14, and the last I am wearing a size 12!!! BTW - BP is down to 127/82!
2012-03-29_14-21-25_752-1-1-1-1.jpg
2012-03-29_14-21-25_752-1-1-1-2.jpg

Replies

• LucyvdPelt
    LucyvdPelt Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    you did an amzing job & look so great!
  • babywing
    babywing Posts: 13
    Options
    you look great! Congrats!
  • ck1416
    ck1416 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! You look mahvelous. I can't wait to be where you are today. I started at your starting weight, so you are really inspiring me!!!
  • iamfranniefierce
    iamfranniefierce Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    U go, Girl...looking FAB! By the way, what's your height?
  • RunChristyRun
    RunChristyRun Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your story - so encouraging! You look great! :)
  • 4my2jays
    4my2jays Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    You look so freaking awesome. I atm proud of you. I also need to add more classes and strength training to my workouts. Thanks for the encouragement.
  • imblackwater
    Options
    you are encouraging...how do I change/drop my calories intake?
  • Claire594
    Claire594 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    You are so inspiring. What an amazing story. I was close to ur starting weight and I can't wait until I reach your point. Congratulations.
  • moepwr
    moepwr Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    You look fantastic!! Keep up the good work. You are an inspiration to working moms.
  • rfarinha
    rfarinha Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the positive feedback everyone! I have been so motivated by others that have posted, and feel honored and humbled to be told that I am providing motivation/inspiration. :blushing:

Here are some answers to questions:
    U go, Girl...looking FAB! By the way, what's your height?

Thank you! I am 5'3"
    you are encouraging...how do I change/drop my calories intake?

Basically I start with the 1200 calories that MFP outlined - which is really the least anyone should be eating in a day. By using my BodyMedia Armband, I can see how many calories my body uses/burns in a 24 hour period, and adjust my meals accordingly. My goal is to maintain a calorie deficit of 1000 calories, so to give you an example:

Wednesday, April 4th
    Calories Burned = 2681
    (Included in those calories burned were 42 minutes of Moderate activity, 53 minutes of Vigorous Activity, 10750 steps, and 6:16 hours of Sleep.) This information is all from my BodyMedia Armband - so given that, I am able to increase my calories that I can eat from 1200 to 1680 and still meet my daily goal.

On a day that I can't exercise, like 2 weeks ago we had to drive to SoCal for a memorial, I only burned 2281, so I needed to keep my calories that I ate down to 1280... I actually ate 1265 that day. Hope this helps.
  • briyowes
    briyowes Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Great job! You look fantastic.
  • Gerald_King
    Gerald_King Posts: 2,031 Member
    Options
    Awesome way to go
  • DominiqueSmall
    DominiqueSmall Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Nicely done! You look FABULOUS!
  • kitkatwag
    kitkatwag Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Great job! I can't wait to hit ONEdeland
  • LeslieMDoyle
    LeslieMDoyle Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    GREAT pix! Way to go!
  • dms1974
    dms1974 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    You look great!. Thanks for the motivation, I need to be more consistent with my workouts.
  • AimeeLynn90
    Options
    You look amazing, great job!
  • rpantusa
    rpantusa Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    such an awesome job! you are truly an inspiration! Thanks for sharing! :flowerforyou:
  • Misty_Cathey
    Misty_Cathey Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You look fantastic..congratulations on your weight loss !!
  • teresacc26
    teresacc26 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Great Job ! very Inspiring
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!