Looking for new recipes/snacks!

Options
Alright, so I'm relatively new to MFP (and love it so far!), and I've been doing well with eating better- but my problem is, I eat a lot of the SAME foods. So what are some of your favorite snacks? And recipes for a hearty, healthy dinner? I don't have much restriction except staying away from sweets. Everything in moderation :)

Replies

• doubglass
    doubglass Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    snacks: fruit, especially oranges and apples, dates, popcorn, hummus, microwaved sweet potatoes with cinnamon
  • MostlyHealthyMomma
    MostlyHealthyMomma Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I've never tried sweet potatoes with cinnamon- sounds great, thank you!
  • k0nfyo0zed
    k0nfyo0zed Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    if you like chicken, this is one of my favorite ways to dress up a boneless skinless chicken breast

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/Honey-Pecan-Chicken-Breasts

i usually add a little cinnamon to the mix (because i love the cinnamon pecans) then make a big salad to go with it, and it is a very filling dinner.
  • skywa
    skywa Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    cucumber salad :D

1 cucumber (sliced)
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp sugar
    2 tsp vinegar

add salt to cucumber first. let sit for 5 mins. then add sugar and vinegar and let sit in the fridge for 10 mins. then eat and enjoy :D its crunchy, fresh n delicious.
  • blondiej43
    Options
    I cook boneless , skinless chicken breast in the crock pot . Just throw some salsa on it and leave it for the day. Then when done put a little low fat shredded cheese on it............Mexican chicken. You can also put on flat bread or tortilla shell.
  • knowwhentoshutup
    knowwhentoshutup Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Look at the website: www.skinnytaste.com

So many great ideas!

My go to snacks are:

Yogurt (1/4 cup fage greek, 1/4 cup vanilla dannon light and fit) mixed with fruit.
    Cottage cheese as a dip with any veggies (i like mixing in seasonings to spice it up)
    Pretzels with salsa
    Pita chips
    100 calorie whole wheat sandwich thin, with peanut butter and banana, or nutella
    Total cereal mixed with a little bit of melted chocolate (these are great as healthier snacks if you make ahead in a big batch and let cool on wax paper - just like a kit kat)
    Dried fruit (banana chips are my fave)
    Nuts, like almonds
  • Munjoyhillgal
    Munjoyhillgal Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Some just posted a receipe for black bean soup - which I made more like a chili bean soup. It is so good and filling.
  • rachwhitt
    rachwhitt Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    hey! how long in the microwave on those sweet potatos? that sounds delicious!
  • Johnni0923
    Johnni0923 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I like JAMICA with lime juice.

I cut up a whole one, trim the brown off, slice into french fry pieces.

Enjoy!
  • mbts08
    mbts08 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I've never tried sweet potatoes with cinnamon- sounds great, thank you!

I always eat my sweet potato with cinnamon and a little salt.
  • mg413
    mg413 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I've been making these no bake energy bites for a while from a blog that I read.
    It literally takes about 3 minutes to throw together- let chill in fridge- roll into balls- snack away :o)
    They are DELICIOUS & nutritious!
    http://smashedpeasandcarrots.blogspot.com/2011/08/no-bake-energy-bites-recipe.html

*I made them for a few friends that just had babies & are nursing and they are really a great snack to grab & go
  • Dwamma
    Dwamma Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Oh yummy!! I need to make me some of these! Thank you!
  • crazydv
    crazydv Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I've saved a lot of healthy recipes on Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/issypal/
  • tatd_820
    tatd_820 Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    My favorite go to lunch/snack is a baked sweet potato. I bake 4 at a time for the week. Wash potatos and wrao with foil that is sprayed with no calorie cooking spray. Bake in oven at 350 for 2 hours. Then I put into fridge and when I want to eat one I gt out and microwave for 2-3 mins depending on how big it is. I usually will add a tbsp of butter and some salt. It's a meal in itself so I do not feel bad for the butter and salt. Low caorie and filling!
  • MostlyHealthyMomma
    MostlyHealthyMomma Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Wow, thank you everyone, these are all great ideas and sound yummy. And I'm trying those energy bites this weekend- I'm so pumped!
  • mom_2_4_boys
    Options
    I try to avoid carba and sugars. I hate veggies first, then fruits, dairy and protein last. Makes it easy to shake things up. Buy a new veggie and fruit each week at the store.
  • fitsporazzi
    Options
    Vitamuffins (100 cals), vitacakes (50 cals) and vita sandwhiches (150 cals) are AMAZING! you feel like you cheated when you really didnt. so yummy.