Women doing Strong Lifts 5 X 5

Options
This is my first week of starting SL 5x5 and I'm looking for other women that are doing it to see their progress and get support/find friends that are doing similar workouts. Thx!

Replies

• samthomason
    samthomason Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    No women doing this?
  • SammyKatt
    SammyKatt Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I would like to be doing this! But I don't have a gym membership so I'm not sure how/what I could do.
  • kir911
    kir911 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I have been doing it...I love it! I found alot of women to be intimidated with lifting, but I get good results. I have lost of ton of inches. I vary between heavy lifting and Metcons...or metabolic conditioning, where you don't rest in between exercises, not heavy weight. I actually prefer this kind of workout over cardio stuff anyday!
  • robinrainville
    robinrainville Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    What is it?
  • samthomason
    samthomason Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    @Cathy Thanks! I didn't know there was a group! Awesome
    @Robin Its a weight lifting program consisting of squats, bench press, overhead press, barbell rows, and deadlifts. Trying to gain strength and I heard compound weights really help.
  • kir911
    Options
    actually sam a 5x5 can be any 5 compound movements, you can totally mix it up to keep it interesting
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    we have a group - search for it.

And Kir, Stronglifts 5x5 is SPECIFICALLY those 5 motions. Not any 5 motions.
  • kir911
    Options
    we have a group - search for it.

And Kir, Stronglifts 5x5 is SPECIFICALLY those 5 motions. Not any 5 motions.

Tameko, I am familiar with the program, my husband is a personal trainer and he adds other compound movements or has me vary it at times. I.e. front squats or a instead of an overhead press and Clean and Press.
  • CiCi_Cloutier
    Options
    I'm on week 7... loving it, mostly. In the middle of my first plateau and it's really pissing me off...

LADIES: LIFT WEIGHTS. Cardio isn't going to get you what you want. Weight training is the most effective and satisfying way to both get stronger and keep your weight in check. A good, consistent weight-training program will reduce your body fat and increase your RMR... meaning you can do less cardio and still lose/maintain your weight. And it's awesome.

Now then: StrongLifts is a specific 5x5 program with specific goals... you absolutely *cannot* vary the program and still expect the results advertised. You can vary the program and still get results.... just not the ones that the program was created to give.

The thing about varying the exercises is you won't progress as quickly as you should/would if you just stick to the actual program... Which is bad for the guy who created it, because people who don't do the exercises as prescribed either A: don't get the results he promises or B: don't get the results he promises as quickly as he promises.

In my opinion, having done a few different programs: StrongLifts is just fine as is and there is no reason to vary it... at least not in the initial phase (the first 12 weeks). After the first 12 weeks, you can add extras (such as cardio) or vary the movements but there's really no need in the first phase.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i do a hybrid of strong lifts, starting strength and olympic lifts so i'm only ever doing 5 (or 6 on a rare day) lifting moves.

one of the good things about strong lifts is that you will really increase your strength. good luck and have fun!
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    I started Strong Lifts 5x5 in June, now I kinda do it, but modify to fit how I feel...
  • rompers16
    rompers16 Posts: 5,404 Member
    Options
    bump so I can look at the link later
  • geugca
    geugca Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi! I was doing stronglifts for one month saw great results. Had to take a break for personal reasons and I am back one week two. I love it! The fact that you add weight each time is kind of motivational and it keeps you going. I hope it works out for you. Let me know how it goes.