upped my cals but stuck again

Options
After a nearly 3 month Plateau I was reading the boards and they talked about upping your calories. I did that and it did break my Plateau. (I lost 3 pounds finally getting over 50) Now it's been about 3 weeks and I haven't lost Anything. Matter of fact the scale seems like it's gone back up. Should I reduce my calories back down or something? Please help I don't want to go back into another hellish 3 month plateau :sad:

Replies

• Tigermad
    Tigermad Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    After a nearly 3 month Plateau I was reading the boards and they talked about upping your calories. I did that and it did break my Plateau. (I lost 3 pounds finally getting over 50) Now it's been about 3 weeks and I haven't lost Anything. Matter of fact the scale seems like it's gone back up. Should I reduce my calories back down or something? Please help I don't want to go back into another hellish 3 month plateau :sad:

Hello

What are your stats and how many calories are you eating now?
  • MissHellsing
    MissHellsing Posts: 133 Member
    Options

Hello

Hi there.
    Stats:
    Height: 5'6
    Starting Weight: 270
    Current Weight: 218-220

intake: I'm on the one pound a week so MFP set me at 1720 cals per day.
    Workout: I work out atleast 4 times a week
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Stats:

So with a potential BMR of 1771, you are not that far off. Slightly over is better than slightly under. What if you have more muscle than avg gal and BMR could be even higher! Very possible.

If you set activity level to Lightly Active.
    Kept the 1lb week goal.
    MFP should set a goal to 1890, which may be only 100 more, but you have decent workout routine.

And you should of course eat back that exercise. Because if your exercise is using up say 500 of that 1890 first, your body is left with 1390, when it really wanted 1771 or more to do it's work.
  • Tigermad
    Options

Hello

Hi there.
    Stats:

Thanks. Would you mind me asking your body fat percentage?
  • Paolinat
    Paolinat Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    exercise 4 times per week... doing what? For how long? Lower calories or increase your workouts. What do you during the day? Moving or desk job? Why lose only 1 pound per week?
  • MissHellsing
    Options
    exercise 4 times per week... doing what? For how long? Lower calories or increase your workouts. What do you during the day? Moving or desk job? Why lose only 1 pound per week?

I workout about an hour. Half Strength training and then Half Cardio which can be elliptical, Bike, stairmasters etc .
    I've increased my workouts as well.

I was on the 1 pound because I had been on the 2 pounds for a while and I had plateau. Went up to 1 and a half still not much different. Then when I went to 1 pound I started losing again finally

Edit: I'm also a Grad Student so desk job
  • Tigermad
    Options

They don't need to lower their calories. You should eat at least your bmr unless you want to be skinny fat.
  • MissHellsing
    Options

Hello

Hi there.
    Stats:

Sure it's. 35.9% now
  • Tigermad
    Options

Hello

Hi there.
    Stats:

Sure it's. 35.9% now

Your bmr is 1745. If you are exercising at least 4 times a week you should be eating 2288 cals per day. What I am doing now is eating just over my bmr and eating back all exercise calories. I was on a strict 1200 cals day diet for 7 months and still have lots of fat. Then thanks to people on here I can actually eat more and lose fat!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Sure it's. 35.9% now

So potential BMR is indeed still in 1700, 1739.

Great workout routine. So you upped calories, and worked out more.

I haven't seen one comment whether you eat those back.

Because if you have a 500 cal workout taking out of that 1720, you only have 1220 left for your BMR.

So you increased calories, but now robbed them away.

You are still eating at a maintenance level because your metabolism is still too slow. It increased a bit, but then you exercised more.

If you do feed the workouts, great, still increase cal's or give it more time. Probably having body changes because of all the workouts, but inches probably going down.
  • MissHellsing
    Options
    Sure it's. 35.9% now

So potential BMR is indeed still in 1700, 1739.

Great workout routine. So you upped calories, and worked out more.

I haven't seen one comment whether you eat those back.

Because if you have a 500 cal workout taking out of that 1720, you only have 1220 left for your BMR.

So you increased calories, but now robbed them away.

You are still eating at a maintenance level because your metabolism is still too slow. It increased a bit, but then you exercised more.

If you do feed the workouts, great, still increase cal's or give it more time. Probably having body changes because of all the workouts, but inches probably going down.

I try to eat like half of them back at least. Hmm...I didn't know I wasn't eating enough. Thanks =]
  • cocolo89
    cocolo89 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I upped my cals recently cause I was on a 6month streak on no weight loss with 1300-1400 cals a day. I am currently 1700-2000cals a day and the scale is moving! I have only 3lbs left til I hit goal and I LOVE MY EXTRA CALORIES. I will soon increase them some more when Im done losing these final lbs. My stats are :
    5'5
    SW: 166
    CW: 123