Body Fat Cutting Basics?

Options
Smaller more frequent meals and cardio. Got it. Anything else? I've got 3 weeks to blast a bit of fat (I'm not expecting miracles, of course) so I want to know how to make the most of that time. I'm on Level 1 Day 5 of the 30DS, I go to the gym two or three times a week for cardio and to TRY and lift as heavy as I can (not easy with no muscle!) and starting today I'm making my meals smaller and more frequent.

Fat2fit Military body calc says my body fat % is 15.1. It isn't, but it's too stubborn to admit it's wrong. What's an idea % to lose in 3 weeks without crucifying myself?

Any other tips?

Replies

• Numptcakes
    Numptcakes Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Bump? Only going to do this once - desperation does not look cool on anyone. Even me.
  • delmc1
    delmc1 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    in your diet increase your protein ,get your carbs from veg not fruit and green veg is better ,
    the little changes make the difference
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit. Lift heavy. But, you only need the deficit.
  • kayteanne
    kayteanne Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi,

No expert here but have been reading and listening A LOT to various sources. One of the most interesting podcasts I have been listening to is 'Cut the Fat' podcast on itunes ( I listen to it while doing my resistance training). It discusses various theories and encourages people to try them out for themselves and see what works for them.

Certainly reducing my Carbs and not starving myself seems to be working well for me plus concentrating on resistance as the main part of my exercise plus some cardio (not the other way around)

A PT told me 2% Body Fat loss in a month is a reasonable target. I've recently dropped 5% over 12 weeks.

The Fat2fit Military body calc is within 2% of what my Tanita body fat scale tells me, but you don't say why you think it's off for you. If it is around 15% it would appear below healthy average (according to Fat2fit between 21% & 33% 20-40 yrs is the healthy range)

Hope this helps
    x
  • Numptcakes
    Numptcakes Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, guys and girls! I'm already eating at a slight deficit - good start! Have also reduced my carbs (which I'm getting more from veg than fruit) and upped my protein over the last week or so, so it's awesome to know I'm going the right way food-wise. Except from pizza night tomorrow night, which I'm not giving up for anyone! haha!

I just can't see my Fat2Fit Military body calc as anywhere near right. 15.1% IS low but I'm bottom heavy so my upper body measurements count for nothing!

I'm TRYING to lift heavy but it's just not going well. Instead I'm focusing on the Shred and doing more leg resistance exercises (squats, lunges, deadlifts). I'm not overly worried about looking 'defined', I just don't want a chunky *kitten* and legs. Couple % body fat reduction without lifting weights - possible?
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can lower your body fat % without lifting, and without doing any exercise at all. It's all about keeping in the deficit. I lift around my TDEE and eat around 15-20% deficit on non-lifting days... on lifting days it's best to eat at TDEE.
  • salxtai
    salxtai Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    on lifting days it's best to eat at TDEE.

Really? Haven't been doing that. Maybe I should start.

Apart from that, I have nothing to add that wouldn't be rehashing what others have said :smile: