I've fallen off the wagon... I can't do this on my own

Options
Although I joined MFP last March, I was one of those people who was dedicated for two weeks every now and then. On February 20th I decided enough was enough, knuckled down and have lost 11lbs so far. I've manage to stay disciplined despite living on my own and not really having the support of my friends and family, who say things like "You're not fat" "Don't get too skinny" and get offended when I try ad steer clear of social gatherings that involve copious amounts of food or alcohol. I've even been labelled a 'diet bore' and 'gym bore' at work for avoiding booze filled after work drinks.

Until last night.... The night eater I used to be reared it's ugly head! Although my fridge is full of fruit and veg I found a 600g bar (slab) of Cadburys Dairy Milk Chocolate in the cupboard and ate it all in one sitting. An hour into the new day and 1200 calories later I felt so disappointed in myself. I never realised what a lonely road this new lifestyle choice (it's not a diet) would be!

I've decided to do at least 500 cal of cardio today so I can actually eat something that has nutrients without going too far over my daily calorie goal. All I know is with another 20lbs to lose I don't want to do this on my own any more and having support here on MFP would make a difference. I need some friends! LOL!

Replies

• missjojo31
    missjojo31 Posts: 150
    Options
    Hi you can add me if you like, desperately trying not to eat the 3 easter eggs i got. lol
  • Nengi1980
    Nengi1980 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thanks x
  • schpanks
    schpanks Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I've been on and off for quite some time. I had lost 30 pounds but quit last spring and gained it all back. Now I'm starting over and feeling good about it, but sometimes it's a minute by minute struggle. :laugh:
  • gmc198024
    Options
    Although I joined MFP last March, I was one of those people who was dedicated for two weeks every now and then. On February 20th I decided enough was enough, knuckled down and have lost 11lbs so far. I've manage to stay disciplined despite living on my own and not really having the support of my friends and family, who say things like "You're not fat" "Don't get too skinny" and get offended when I try ad steer clear of social gatherings that involve copious amounts of food or alcohol. I've even been labelled a 'diet bore' and 'gym bore' at work for avoiding booze filled after work drinks.

Until last night.... The night eater I used to be reared it's ugly head! Although my fridge is full of fruit and veg I found a 600g bar (slab) of Cadburys Dairy Milk Chocolate in the cupboard and ate it all in one sitting. An hour into the new day and 1200 calories later I felt so disappointed in myself. I never realised what a lonely road this new lifestyle choice (it's not a diet) would be!

I've decided to do at least 500 cal of cardio today so I can actually eat something that has nutrients without going too far over my daily calorie goal. All I know is with another 20lbs to lose I don't want to do this on my own any more and having support here on MFP would make a difference. I need some friends! LOL!

Don't be disheartened, everyone will have an occasional blip. A few weeks ago, I met up with a few mates and ended up drinking 10 beers then had fish and chips on the way home. Felt awful the following day but made it to the gym and was back on track the day after.

It's how you respond to the setbacks that'll determine your journey. Pick yourself up, put it behind you and look upon tomorrow with a fresh outlook otherwise a few backward steps may become a downward spiral, one is recoverable.
  • xjulesjx
    xjulesjx Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    add me too xx
  • ashtonalayna
    Options
    Hi welcome to Mfp. I too have a habit of 'falling' off the wagon everynow and than but the important thing is we need to always get up and try again. One thing that has helped me a lot is having friends and seeing their weight loss. Always inspires me to do better so that I'm not the only one not losing any! Good for you for wanting to try again and for trying to work off your chocolate bar! Well done so far and NEVER give up :) You can add me if you'd like.
  • margeauxhunt
    Options
    Hi there, if you still need some friends you can add me. :)
  • AmerTunsi
    AmerTunsi Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Support is key! Feel free to add me!
  • mccarol1956
    mccarol1956 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    One bad night of eating does not mean you have fallen off the wagon. It is just an error. Log it and forget it, tomorrow is another day! Try not to dwell on it.

I would be happy to be your friend, just know that I do not eat perfect all the time, I, like you am not perfect. Tonight I ate over my calories by probably about 1000 calories. It is no biggie. I will work harder tomorrow, and I will be sure to chart what I did tonight. No shame here!

Carol
  • vandapow
    vandapow Posts: 2
    Options
    Happy to help, I have days when I know that I am not going to be good and I just dont bother but make sure that you start again the very next day... dont let it run into 2 days, then 3...... a slippery road!!! Nothing motivates me more than seeing the scales tell me I have lost another pound! Good luck! Remember, we are allowed to be naughty sometimes.
  • mathsgirl
    mathsgirl Posts: 13
    Options
    I've been slipping off the wagon for many years...from my point of view it's about putting it behind you and starting a new day. We all make impulsive choices that feel right at the time, no point in letting them affect the whole plan. I used to feel so guilty about the slips that I would give up and would make more slips. Since Christmas this year my attitude has been "Oh well, back to it from now on" So far I have lost 21lbs, seems to be working for me. I also don't have much support at home, but that's a long story. Support from my mfp friends is the best.
    Feel free to add me if you want to. All the best...back to it :)
  • ToEKnee213
    ToEKnee213 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    Support is key! Feel free to add me!

You're a poet!!!

Add me as well if you would like :bigsmile:
  • MrsM1ggins
    MrsM1ggins Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    When I started in Jan 2011 I had to be really strict with myself. No alcohol, no junk food etc I also got the "you're no fun any more" type of comments from people and it did at times make it really tough.

Eventually I developed a standard response when someone tried to encourage me to eat or drink something that didn't fit in with my daily calorie goals - I'd just give a big smile and say "Hey, my body's a temple". It usually got a smile in response and that was the end of the 'drama'.

As I lost the weight I've been able to allow myself more leeway. Like you say, it's a lifestyle, not a diet, and I can't go the rest of my life without eating and drinking with family and friends. Sometimes that means I go over for the day. That's ok. My life is the sum of my days, not each individual day looked at in isolation. As long as I'm on target most of the time it's ok to splurge every now and then.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is you're doing ok. Just keep doing it. Don't feel that you have to punish yourself for that Dairy Milk, but you might want to think about exactly why you ate it. Knowing yourself is a key part of maintaining a healthy lifestyle.
  • coxy46
    coxy46 Posts: 23
    Options
    Hi,
    You dont need to do this on your own, you had a bad day, it was only one day but the fact it bothered you means that you are dedicated to this change - keep it up - add me if you like x x
  • Emmabulliemum
    Emmabulliemum Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me I met the chocolate demon last saturday but I was detewrmined It was NOT going to win and you know every once in a blue moon it will NOT hurt your over all loss. Retrain the brain and the body will follow. No longer will we eat cr*p night after night but we will always need a release.

That was yours remember this is a life chnage not a diet. x
  • Nengi1980
    Nengi1980 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I feel better already x
  • tema47
    tema47 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I'll send you a friend request and you can add me if you like. I know the feeling of people giving you hard time over what you eat at social gatherings, or more so what you don't eat. Lol...
  • kathybro75
    kathybro75 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    You don't have to do this on your own. I like you have very little support on my journey and before I found this website I too had fallen off the wagon many many times. You can add me if you like for motivation and support.:flowerforyou:
  • ruthmowery
    Options
    Hi, I'm Ruth. I can understand where your coming from exactly. I too have kinda fallen off of the wagon. My computer broke and while it was getting fixed I tried to track the food on my own but that didn't work out so good. So it has been a struggle trying to get back on it. I also am losing my job, I am a temp at Kelly. I knew the job wasn't permanent but still a lot of stress tends to make you want to eat to feel better. But like you said it doesn't make you feel better it makes you feel terrible and like you have no willpower which is not true. Since I have gotten older I have learned that anyone who truely cares about you will help you with your goals. Do not give in to those people at work, you are a strong woman and you can do this. Anytime someone treats me like that I say to myself they are just jealous because they don't have the willpower to do what I am doing. I just ignore them, say a prayer and keep true to yourself. I only have a few friends but they are the best people in the world and they are always there for me and that is what a true friend is so I just ignore those other people. At the end of the day you have to be happy with yourself and that is what I try to do and if I mess up oh well tomorrow is another day. No one is perfect. I also have 20 pounds left so lets do this together. Summer is coming and I want to look nice in a bathing suit (our apartment has a pool) and buy some sundresses. That is my goal. I commend you for doing this on your own it is very hard, but your not on your own you have us to help you. I am going to take a few minutes and plan my food for the day now otherwise I will eat way too much just like yesterday. Planning is a big part of it. Lets go!!!
  • Gettingbettereveryday
    Options
    Basically - what everyone else has said! Remember that this is a lifestyle choice, and that means you can allow yourself a bit of flexibility; too many restrictions on what you allow yourself to eat and drink could lead to the occasional spot of rebellion - as one of the other posters here said, ask yourself why you had that bar of chocolate... No need to beat yourself up though.