Losing Motivation!

Options
I need help! I havent seen anyresults for two weeks and have boosted my exercise, i just need encouragement! please help!

Replies

• va_va_voom
    va_va_voom Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Hang in there! Plateaus are normal, although very frustrating. Maybe change up your eating a bit, too? We tend to plateau when our body gets too used to whatever it is we're doing to it.

You've got this - try not to get discouraged. :)
  • CanDoKatie
    Options
    don't stop keep going you can do it
  • KimberlyAllison36
    Options
    I completely understand - it is very frustrating but remember when you start a new diet or starting eating less and exercising more - you WILL lose weight. Sometimes it takes a few weeks for your body to adjust. I always tell myself that anything I am doing now is better then what I was doing before! Keeping this mindset and taking it day by day (and eating and drinking like a pig on the weekends) still allowed me to lose 33 lbs in 6 months!
    It is not a diet - it is a lifestyle change. You can not diet for the rest of your life! Just get into better habits to lose the weight and keep it off!
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    You boosted your exercise! Did you boost your calories too? How about water drinking? Are you drinking more during your workouts? When you change your routine, as in adding exercise or more exercise, it can take a couple of weeks for your body to adjust. Be patient! The loses will come!
  • tinana_RN
    tinana_RN Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    You say that you boosted your exercise-- are you eating enough now?
  • Angie_Fritts
    Angie_Fritts Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    You can do this. Remember why you started it in the first place. For a better healthier you right? You are worth the effort.

You might try a cheat day. When I wasn't seeing results for a couple of weeks, I gave myself a cheat day(just one) and it got me over the hump.
  • kapspecial
    kapspecial Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    You're dairy isn't viewable. What results are you focused on scale only? What are you eating? When you boosted your exercise did you boost your calories? Are you under-logging calories in or overstating your workouts? How are your bowel movements? Are you stressed? It's two weeks take a look at what's going on and make some adjustments.

Motivation wanes. You have to value the benefit of living a healthier lifestyle and understand that it's not automatic and it can be frustrating at times, but it's worth it. You're worth it. What's the alternative?
  • jonesdav254
    jonesdav254 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Plateaus come...and fortunately...they go. The sad part is that too many people nearing the end of a plateau will give up...reverse course and have success snatched from their grasp just before the breakthrough.

As others here have suggested, find a way to modify your workout and nutrition. Your body is adapting to the changes you made with exercise and nutrition (notice I don't say diet). Now that your body has adapted, switch it up. Modify the schedule of your workouts, move your workouts earlier/later in the day.....push yourself in showing improvement with each workout. Also, remember, it's NOT always scale victories you want.

Non-Scale Victories (known on MFP message boards as NSVs) are huge motivators. I recently wore a dress suit I had purchased 16 years ago, but had not worn in 6-7 years. There was no loss of weight from 3-4 weeks ago when I tried it on, but the NSV appeared in inches lost when JUST last week I put on the suit and it fit marvelously.

What are your NSVs? Has anyone noticed your changes? If so, post about it. Allow your MFP friends to share in your joy.

Have you attended an event (wedding, reunion, etc.) recently where you displayed the ability to enjoy your time without sacrificing the weeks of nutrition and exercise efforts? That is a HUGE NSV and your MFP friends and message boards will love to hear about this success.

While it is not fun to admit, changes in our body take time...sometimes days...sometimes longer. I didn't put on the weight to get to where I was last Dec in a few weeks. I carefully ate my way to 40+ lbs heavier than I am now over a period of 2-3 years. Fortunately, with good nutrition and exercise, I've been able to rid myself of almost 3 bowling balls (15 lbs each). How is that for a mental image. BTW, I did NOT loose this weight in a few days...it has been a long, but rewarding challenge. I still have 2 more bowling balls to go. What's the goal you have achieved so far? What's your next goal?

Lastly, continue the good practice of seeking support through your family, friends and message boards on MFP or other social media sites (i.e. Facebook, twitter, etc.). Research shows that seeking support during times of plateaus and challenges in our exercise and nutrition will yield superior results if we PUSH through.

If you need an additional MFP friend to help you stay motivated....just ask.

Best regards,

Dave
  • JudySanders40
    Options
    Thanks, i am trying, i guess i am watching the scale to much...i wanted to lose 20 pounds and have only lost 4 so far and it seems i have been doing this forever...which i like the healthier foods i am eating and I am not as hungry anymore, just wish i could lose more...I am walking 4 miles per week but otherwise i am at work..I work two jobs so it may be stress
  • Hoakiebs
    Hoakiebs Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    You just started last month and are 25% towards your goal? Why would you be discouraged? You need to do more than 4 miles per week, that's 1 hour of exercise a week, you should be doing at least 3.5 hrs. Per week. You could also benefit from getting some friends for advice and motivation.
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    I need help! I havent seen anyresults for two weeks and have boosted my exercise, i just need encouragement! please help!

It's during times like this I fast forward to the future. What's it going to be like once you're at your goal (whatever that may be)? What will you be working toward then? Once your "fight" or "journey" is over? What's left to work for then? What will sustain your motivation when everything's great & perfect, you know?

What drives you? Define that, hold onto that...
  • LoriPayne
    LoriPayne Posts: 17
    Options
    You can do this. Remember why you started it in the first place. For a better healthier you right? You are worth the effort.

You might try a cheat day. When I wasn't seeing results for a couple of weeks, I gave myself a cheat day(just one) and it got me over the hump.

I so agree, i had the same thing happening, I actually gained weight after increasing my exercise! I had a big night out, doubled my calories, got back on track the next day and two days later, back to my original loss and down one more!
    Hang in there, even if we don't see the change on the outside, the changes are happening inside and they are sooo good for us!
  • amymrls
    amymrls Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Usually takes 3 weeks to start dropping weight when you increase your exercise because your body goes in shock. It will happen give your body a chance to catch up.
  • kacbldmm07
    Options
    4-4-2012-1-2.jpg

I just posted this in success stories but I want to show you something.... it took me almost two years to get here. To lose weight there is no quick fix. Its a lifestyle change. You have to change the way you think about eating. That does not mean that you cant enjoy it! Message me if you want to know more! Keep going.. Trust me, its gets better!
  • wender125
    wender125 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    You sure came to the right place!!!

Take a few minutes to think about what your inspirations are, and write them in on your profile page! And definitely add friends! MFP's ROCK!!! My friends inspire and motivate me, when I read their food diaries, and see their day-to-day exercise! We cheer each other on!

I'm a SAHM (stay-at-home mom) to two darling kidlets - feel free to add me to your friends list!!!

Cheers!

~w ;)
  • jenniejengin
    jenniejengin Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    Plateaus come...and fortunately...they go. The sad part is that too many people nearing the end of a plateau will give up...reverse course and have success snatched from their grasp just before the breakthrough.

As others here have suggested, find a way to modify your workout and nutrition. Your body is adapting to the changes you made with exercise and nutrition (notice I don't say diet). Now that your body has adapted, switch it up. Modify the schedule of your workouts, move your workouts earlier/later in the day.....push yourself in showing improvement with each workout. Also, remember, it's NOT always scale victories you want.

Non-Scale Victories (known on MFP message boards as NSVs) are huge motivators. I recently wore a dress suit I had purchased 16 years ago, but had not worn in 6-7 years. There was no loss of weight from 3-4 weeks ago when I tried it on, but the NSV appeared in inches lost when JUST last week I put on the suit and it fit marvelously.

What are your NSVs? Has anyone noticed your changes? If so, post about it. Allow your MFP friends to share in your joy.

Have you attended an event (wedding, reunion, etc.) recently where you displayed the ability to enjoy your time without sacrificing the weeks of nutrition and exercise efforts? That is a HUGE NSV and your MFP friends and message boards will love to hear about this success.

While it is not fun to admit, changes in our body take time...sometimes days...sometimes longer. I didn't put on the weight to get to where I was last Dec in a few weeks. I carefully ate my way to 40+ lbs heavier than I am now over a period of 2-3 years. Fortunately, with good nutrition and exercise, I've been able to rid myself of almost 3 bowling balls (15 lbs each). How is that for a mental image. BTW, I did NOT loose this weight in a few days...it has been a long, but rewarding challenge. I still have 2 more bowling balls to go. What's the goal you have achieved so far? What's your next goal?

Lastly, continue the good practice of seeking support through your family, friends and message boards on MFP or other social media sites (i.e. Facebook, twitter, etc.). Research shows that seeking support during times of plateaus and challenges in our exercise and nutrition will yield superior results if we PUSH through.

If you need an additional MFP friend to help you stay motivated....just ask.

Best regards,

Dave

:drinker:
  • jenniejengin
    jenniejengin Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    4-4-2012-1-2.jpg

I just posted this in success stories but I want to show you something.... it took me almost two years to get here. To lose weight there is no quick fix. Its a lifestyle change. You have to change the way you think about eating. That does not mean that you cant enjoy it! Message me if you want to know more! Keep going.. Trust me, its gets better!

wow. impressive.
  • 43freckles
    43freckles Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hi, i'm feeling the same at the moment. But we need to focus on way we are here and keep at it, our MFP friend's will help to motivate us so we don't give up. I also have what I call target outfits got the idea from the show ' The Last Ten Pounds' with gorgeous Tommy Europe :heart: that is another motivation for me you could try it. Good Luck DON'T give up.:smile:
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    You say that you boosted your exercise-- are you eating enough now?

This!

check my profile for a useful link!