Critical Family + eggs!

Options
It doesn't matter what I do, my family just don't support me. I can kinda handle that part, its the criticizing that I can't. This morning after my run I made scrambled eggs (1 egg, 1 white) on a slice of wholemeal bread. My brother goes "Eggs make you put on weight, not lose it". Grrrrrrrrrrrr!

Replies

• jeskate
    jeskate Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    It's never a good thing when the people surrounding you don't offer the support you need! Keep doing what you're doing - if it gets bad perhaps you can tell them you're not feeling supported and that you're on a journey to better health? Think about how great you're going to look very soon and the looks on their faces when they realise you've done it!
  • lsapphire
    lsapphire Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Ignore people who are confused or ignorant about proper nutrition if you can't open their eyes. Go with what you know to be correct and listen to your own body.
  • zoeluiisa
    zoeluiisa Posts: 392
    Options
    Eggs are AWESOME.
  • walkner88
    walkner88 Posts: 165
    Options
    Unfortunately in most western countries our news jump on any hot issue. One of those being eggs. So it isn't really their fault. The best thing to do with most of these people is to just keep working hard and educating yourself on this, and let your progress do the speaking. Don't acknowledge the question and when they see that you've lost a good deal of weight and are getting healthier tell them you did it through proper research diet and hard work.
  • Lyra89
    Lyra89 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Easter eggs maybe...but eggs? The're fantastic! :) Eat em up!
  • skinEme1018
    Options
    It doesn't matter what I do, my family just don't support me. I can kinda handle that part, its the criticizing that I can't. This morning after my run I made scrambled eggs (1 egg, 1 white) on a slice of wholemeal bread. My brother goes "Eggs make you put on weight, not lose it". Grrrrrrrrrrrr!
    This is quit typical of people who are feeling uncomfortable about your choice to live healthy. I have found that most people that have a negative attitude truly just wish they had the will power to do what we are doing. Helathy living is more of an attitude adjustment than anything else. There are numerous people on here that have the same family situation....including me. I just hope you decide to be the example and lead your family by eating healthy with or without their support. They will catch on.
    And btw....eggs are very good and good for you. :)
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    my mum does the same thing.
    she tells me that eggs are bad for you, that cheese is bad for you? c'mon it's called protein!

i have lost 15kg this way and she is jellie cos she has tried to lose weight so many times through the wrong procedures (eg cutting out carbs, hcg) and this is the first time i ever tried to lose weight as well.
  • Newf77
    Newf77 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I usually turn to the person and say "that is interesting, please go collect your data and present it to me in a five minute presentation."
  • droberts3311
    Options
    Just smile and say, who says I am trying to lose weight? I am just eating heatlhy! Same thing when you have comments about exercise. Just doing it because IT FEELS GOOD!!
    That will make them step back a little!
  • whenstars
    whenstars Posts: 27
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice guys! Feel better already :D
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Consider yourself lucky, you are not going to be the one to marry his sorry *kitten*.
  • lijparsons
    lijparsons Posts: 258
    Options
    Don't listen to him. Eggs are great for after a run. My go-to is a nice omelette (1 or maybe 2 whole eggs, PLUS 2 egg whites), with some veggies and cheese in it. Mmmm-mm. Great for protein, which is what you want after a workout. Well done!
  • carriem73
    carriem73 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I have a co-worker who is the same way. He lost about 50 lbs on Medifast last year (no bread, eat their expensive prepackaged food diet) and has since gained a bunch back since he began eating real food again. Everytime he sees me eat, he makes some snarky comment-"oh, a chicken sandwhich on a bun can't be good for your diet"... I always snap back at him that I can do what I want as long as I stay under my calorie goal, but he always has a nasty comeback. I've managed to lose 22.5 lbs, I think I'm doing pretty darn good- I don't eat unhealthy often, but every time I do, he has something nasty to say!

I've decided it is just jealousy- my weight loss is a result of diet and exercise- healthy lifestyle changes, not some pre-packaged cardboard food and a bunch of pills!

I'll sure your family is just jealous, or maybe they are so used to you filling the roll of "fat person" in the family and are afraid of how your healthier living will affect them-

In either case- you stick to your guns- you are doing a great thing, keep it up!!!! :bigsmile:
  • Sabresgal63
    Sabresgal63 Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    The best way to get back at people that are intolerable is to agree with everything they say........lol! It will p*ss them off and you will get the satisfaction of knowing that you are right:bigsmile:
  • chunkiedunker
    chunkiedunker Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    i know many people that are like this. when i mention oh i had this amazing this or this was what i had for supper or my breakfast shake is made from this.

I get responses like you eat peanut butter every day. oh thats not healthy. or eggs are bad, or you shouldn't eat this or that cause it doesn't help you lose weight. A guy i work with is the biggest know it all ive ever met. So changing my life was tough because he was going to one up me and tell me all he knows. im down 40 lbs now and have done it my way. when i hear him tell me something about health i just smile half assed because as ive lost 40 lbs recently hes been gaining weight and alot of it.

you know what your doing. you haven't gone into this blindly. you have done your research. you are learning what you can and cant eat, what you should and shouldn't eat. most people who spout off like your brother have nothing to back up what they say other then they heard that eggs are bad for you. you now know way more then he does about food and your eating habits because you have been doing this for a while. you have learned how to lose weight and eat healthy. just dismiss what your brother says because your doing it right and doing a good job at that. no need to make smart jabs or digs at him, let him be ignorant if he wants to be ignorant. you could offer to teach him why eggs aren't as bad as what he believes and show him what you know, but i doubt he really cares that much.
  • aprilgicker
    aprilgicker Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    just hit him with the spatula and call him a "stupid, stupid head." Works for my Daughter.

Seriously, you will have to continue to listen to the rant until someone from the outside says something to him about how nice you look. just bide your time, the change will hit them eventually.