Anyone losing weight to try to conceive?

Options
Hi All
Since 2009 I have lost around 2 stone and managed to keep the weight off until now. I have gained around 1 stone so really want to get this back off. Since starting a new job back in August 2011 I have not been able to resist a lot of the treats that get passed around the office but now my Husband and I want to try for a baby.

I am already at a healthy BMI and weight but Id still like to get my weight down to what i used to be, i felt a lot fitter and better in myself when i was lower.

I just wondered if there any other ladies out there who are trying to lose weight to conceive and be fit and healthy ready for pregnancy?
Also any tips on the best things to eat to help us :)
Feel free to add me as a friend too, its nice to have like minded people losing weight for the same reasons and extra support to each other.

Thanks,

Stacey xxx

Replies

• jagar07
    jagar07 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I am! lol My hubby and I have been ttc for a few months now, it's not an easy road, but I am trying to put my focus on the weight loss, since Ihave a LOT of weight to lose to be healthy for my baby anyway. Feel free to add me!
  • carriem73
    carriem73 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I've been TTC for over a year now, with at least 8 miscarriages... in lovely fertility treatments, including shots!

I put off losing weight for over a ear thinking that I didn't want to starve myself while TTC, but this site and all the wonderful posters have helped me realize there is a healthy way to drop pounds!

If you are looking for friends, feel free to add me!
  • MrsWilsoncroft
    MrsWilsoncroft Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    I have added you both :)

Carrie I am so sorry to hear you have had an hard time with miscarriages. That cant be nice for you.

Well for me, I only came off the pill on 29th March, had my first bleed and now I am ready to roll lol xxx
  • iamkateiam
    iamkateiam Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    My hubby and I are also starting to think about babies. We haven't officially started "trying" yet, but we aren't not trying either. We should start a group!
  • heatherduck13
    heatherduck13 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi Stacey!

I am not TTC yet, but our idea is to start trying within the next year or two, and like you I am already a healthy BMI and easily within my proper weight bracket, but I have also gained some weight over the last 9 months that I'd like to get rid of by the time we begin trying for many reasons... I want to be healthy; I want a better chance of "bouncing back" after pregnancy; and I want to instill good eating and exercise habits now so that I have a better chance of maintaining those good habits when baby does come along.

My mom is a neonatal intensive care nurse (she takes care of the babies that are born prematurely), and she's having me get in the habit of taking Folic Acid daily, eating plenty of fresh, raw veggies and fruit (especially fresh spinach and blueberries), and working towards cutting out preservative-laden and heavily-processed foods--basically getting back to the basics. She also suggests once we do start trying that I completely eliminate alcohol (not that I drink on a daily basis, but I do love to have the occasional glass of wine with a weekend meal) because studies show alcohol seems to do the most damage to a fetus before you even know you're pregnant (within the first 5 weeks of conception).

Good luck to everyone TTC. I'll be there soon enough, but it's never too early to get a plan in place! :smile:
  • MrsWilsoncroft
    Options
    Thank you for the fantastic replies :)
    You have all been great. And yes we should make a group. xxx
  • steadk
    steadk Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    My DH and I are TTC #2. After #1, I never lost the weight and I am currently only 10 pounds lighter than the day I had her. :( it is depressing to me, but I'm doing my best to watch what I eat, portions and regularly move. GL in your quest!
  • tbhoover
    tbhoover Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    We r planning to start TTC our 3rd this summer. I have been over 200lbs with my last 2 and I would really like to not be obese and pregnant. I've been pretty slow at losing weight but hope to have 20lbs off by June to start trying
  • MrsWilsoncroft
    Options
    My hubby and I are also starting to think about babies. We haven't officially started "trying" yet, but we aren't not trying either. We should start a group!

Let's do it :)
    We need a really funky name lol xxx
  • shannon121278
    Options
    I agree on making a group, I think that would be awesome!

But hello! I'm Shannon, 23, been off my birth control for a year and 4 days to be exact, been TTC since middle of June last year, with no luck yet, but I'm crossing my fingers that since I've passed the year mark of being off my pills that it's almost time! Since September of last year I've lost 46 pounds, and still have about 30-40 to lose still. So I'm right here with you trying to lose weight and conceive at the same time!

If you're in a similar situation and want to add me, please do! I love finding people who are trying to lose weight to carry a baby, but also trying to conceive WHILE losing weight!!!
  • HopeBay
    HopeBay Posts: 32
    Options
    I've been ttc for over 3 years now. Lots of IUI and one round of IVF so far. I'm trying to loose some weight before our next IVF try. Yes, folic acid is a must. I would also suggest Q10 vitamin. I'm also doing acupuncture. Always looking for more friends in the boat.
  • PatasDeGallina
    PatasDeGallina Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Hi, everyone!

I am mainly losing weight to have another child. I am also just wanting to keep up with the one I have. :smile:

My son is 7 and we'd like to try and have another in about 2 years. Getting pregnant with my first was very lucky as I was 60 lbs overweight and I have PCOS.

My chances for successful conception would increase if I was in the normal BMI range, which I am finally BARELY on the edge of. :happy:

I've been taking prenatal vitamins for a few years now and I'm vegan. I'm not sure how either would effect pregnancy negatively at this point. I will shift my concern to that when the time comes.

I don't know if we'll be able to have more children, but I'm doing my part to make it as easy as possible. My sister is my OB/GYN and weightloss was her primary suggestion for dealing with that condition.

I hope everyone is having a Good Friday! :wink:
  • Blesssed
    Blesssed Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello All!!

My Husband and I are also taking about babies and I recently stopped my pill so that i can have a healthier body when we start TTC. I am currently trying to eat clean and excercise daily. I also implemented a daily vitamin into my diet to increase mt folic acid intake. Good Luck and lots of baby dust to all of you!!
  • iamkateiam
    iamkateiam Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'll make a group- but I need helps with names! Post some suggestions and we'll make this group a reality (c:
  • mightyafrodyte
    mightyafrodyte Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Kim! 33 y/o, no children yet. This is awesome. I am a newlywed and we want to start TTC on our first anniversary.

I will be adding EVERYONE on this post because I never even thought about finding/reaching out to those who are in the same situation.

I totally second the motion of starting a group.
  • FaugHorn
    FaugHorn Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    You should definitely either be losing weight OR trying to conceive, not both at the same time. There's a good group on here called "Fit for Future Pregnancy" that you should check out :) I started taking prenatals and lost about ten pounds eating right and exercising an hour a day. Then I switched to maintenance mode and started eating the same things that you should eat when pregnant. A lot of fish, lean meat, leafy greens, etc. Good luck!
  • livinginwoods
    livinginwoods Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Hi. I am Carrie, 32, and no kids yet. The reason I am losing is to have a baby one day, and of course to be healthy.
  • FaugHorn
    FaugHorn Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    I'll make a group- but I need helps with names! Post some suggestions and we'll make this group a reality (c:

Check out the existing group "Fit for Future Pregnancy" they have a lot of great resources there already.
  • Bunn11
    Bunn11 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hi

I'm trying to loose (a lot) because we want to start trying in the next year . I want to be as healthy as I can be for the pregnancy &as a new mum. Feel like my weight has stalled us in starting a family :0(
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Courtney and I have been TTCing for 4 years. we cannot afford expensive treatments and hav eundiagnosed infertility. Hubby and I are both trying to get healthier in hope ti will help.

I have two teenage step sons and thought they are a challegne hubby is still willing to start over with me so dispite the difuculties I feel blessed. I am happy for any ovf you lovley ladies to add me,