Plateau's?

Options
I'm stuck at 158 to 159 pounds and cant seem to get below it. I go to the YMCA 3 Days a week and walk for the rest of the time. Help Me!!

Replies

• Aprill42
    Aprill42 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Maybe you need to up everything a notch. I was already told, once I hit my plateau I'm going to have to hit everything EXTRA hard.
  • JodieElijah
    JodieElijah Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Mix up what you're doing! Your body gets used to the same exercises, and works more efficiently at doing it. Mix it up a bit. Go swimming, take up tennis!

Just be aware that it can take several weeks to work through a plateau, so don't give up!!
  • juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    From my perspective: You don't eat nearly enough calories to sustain going to the gym. Your protein levels are set way too low. Fewer calories and more workouts will never break a plateau.
  • cherigurl
    cherigurl Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat. I lost 10 lbs fast, but now I am stuck where I am I do run everyday at least 20 min a day, I have upped my calories from 1200 to 1300 plus I eat most of my calories back from exercise ( sorry I am a true fat girl and love food) but now i run 30 mins a day and i am hoping to see the scale move it has been two weeks at 1300 and just this week started at 30 min a day for exercise so I am really hoing to lose more but we will see
  • stormyous
    stormyous Posts: 157
    Options
    Do you guys have your goal set to recommed or not?
  • Hoakiebs
    Hoakiebs Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Go to www.fat2fitradio.com and listen to audio clip 2 or scroll down to read if you don't have speakers
  • Hoakiebs
    Hoakiebs Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat. I lost 10 lbs fast, but now I am stuck where I am I do run everyday at least 20 min a day, I have upped my calories from 1200 to 1300 plus I eat most of my calories back from exercise ( sorry I am a true fat girl and love food) but now i run 30 mins a day and i am hoping to see the scale move it has been two weeks at 1300 and just this week started at 30 min a day for exercise so I am really hoing to lose more but we will see

Go to www.fat2fitradio.com and listen to audio clip 2 or scroll down to read if you don't have speakers
  • juliekaiser1988
    Options

^^^ This. Why do folks think coming onto MFP and just taking off with whatever is plugged in is the right answer? You've got to do some research and learn facts before going crazy at the gym and eating too few calories then wondering why you don't lose weight.

Also, the search link at the top is a wonderful tool here. Lots of information on what you're looking for.
  • juliekaiser1988
    Options
    I've lost a lot of weight, and continue to lose each week (I'm down to 135.5 lbs). I have my settings at 1500 calories AND I eat my exercise calories back.
  • stormyous
    Options
    OK I just upped my calories.
  • kagero1976
    kagero1976 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Assuming your diary is accurate and up to date, it looks to me like you need to eat more calories. I don't know what your stats(height, weight, etc) are to figure it out exactly but you really shouldn't eat below your BMR. MFP can be sort of confusing because it sets your goal based on how much you want to lose a week. Think of it more as your goal to be changing your body composition(more muscle, less fat) rather than losing weight. Losing weight will happen in that process if you are significantly unfit but it isn't really the goal, per say. It took me a long time to realize that. Also, sometimes it is just a matter of time. You think nothing is changing because that is what the scale says but there are a lot of internal changes taking place.
  • stormyous
    Options
    5ft 1' and 159.2 llbs.
  • kagero1976
    kagero1976 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I don't know what your age is so I am sort of guessing but your BMR is probably around 1370-1450. I wouldn't eat below that. You probably want around 1450 on exercise days and 1370 on non exercise days to lose a pound a week. You might even want to up it a little more and aim for more like a half a pound weight loss a week. If you build up some muscle over time, you can eat even more and still lose weight or maintain. Also, like another poster said, try to change up your exercise routine from time to time. The body gets really efficient at doing the same things over and over.
  • acresfield
    acresfield Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I just broke through my plateau by upping my calories and eating back all of my exercise ones also. Now practically eating double what I was and am losing weight. Crazy stuff but it does work.

I'm no expert, just saying what worked for me!