Weight Loss Tips

Options
If you had to pick one fitness or eating tip that has helped you the most during weight loss, what would it be?

Here's mine: If I eat one brownie or cookie (or other type of junk food), I can't just give up on my healthy eating and start eating more of them. One brownie won't show up later, but 10 of them will.

Replies

• Wecandothis
    Wecandothis Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Eat at least half the food you eat in a day raw.

I don't always meet this 'rule' but some days I exceed it!!
  • smb0701
    smb0701 Posts: 234
    Options
    If you had to pick one fitness or eating tip that has helped you the most during weight loss, what would it be?

Here's mine: If I eat one brownie or cookie (or other type of junk food), I can't just give up on my healthy eating and start eating more of them. One brownie won't show up later, but 10 of them will.

i also still eat my cakes and brownies but i use the lowfat recipes
  • jfilon
    jfilon Posts: 80
    Options
    Drink water. I have at least one glass ten minutes before I eat anything. Not only does it fill me up quicker and prevent me from reaching for (another) piece of pie, I realize a lot of times I was only dehydrated - not hungry.
  • TCASMEY
    TCASMEY Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    If I am craving a snack I first have a glass of water and then wait at least 15 minutes to see if the water curbs the craving.

Also brushing with a minty toothpaste can get rid of a craving.
  • tayner
    tayner Posts: 372
    Options
    do not let excuses get in the way of exercise... put it first, and keep it there...

moderation for anything i eat
  • acrylicrocks
    Options
    For portion control I use measuring cups on the go and sometimes at home I just eat my foods right out of the measuring cup so I am fully aware of how much I am consuming.

On a party night I carry the beer bottle tops so I know exactly how many I've had, and can calculate accordingly.
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    Best advice/rule I have is to not over-think. Sometimes we get so consumed with "oh my gosh I cannot believe I ate that ice cream- now I have to cut back on my dinner, and what if I'm hungry later in the day..." etc. Or the same type of worrying/thinking about exercise.

I've learned, don't think- DO
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    Learning that it doesn't have to be ALL or NOTHING. Take the stress out of it. Depriving yourself only leads to failure. Learning that a healthy lifestyle CAN include "Fun" foods too and getting back on track the next day (or meal) is KEY to success. And each success will lead to your confidence in yourself growing. :wink:
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Don't quit just because you slipped up- no matter how big the slip up was.
  • fitgal411
    fitgal411 Posts: 668
    Options

Are you talking about vegetables? I always heard cooking vegetables is better for you than eating them raw . . . Is that wrong?
  • m2kjenn
    m2kjenn Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    I try to plan for treats. That way I have something to look forward to, I can calculate them in my daily goals and I can limit my amount by thinking ahead.
  • bg1070
    bg1070 Posts: 2
    Options
    When I go out to eat i imeediately put half of the food in a to go container for another meal
  • Wecandothis
    Wecandothis Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options

Are you talking about vegetables? I always heard cooking vegetables is better for you than eating them raw . . . Is that wrong?

Yes, fruit and Veggies - particularly veggies. I've never heard that cooking is better than raw. Some I cook, some I eat raw. :) About half raw, that's my goal.
  • fitgal411
    Options

Yes, fruit and Veggies - particularly veggies. I've never heard that cooking is better than raw.

Cooking vegetables is supposed to help your digestive system and adds more flavor. I guess both are important to for a healthy diet.
  • shalinik78
    Options
    I keep the half for later - for example - if I have to drink a glass of juice then I would drink half now and rest later in the day :)
  • fitgal411
    Options
    For portion control I use measuring cups on the go and sometimes at home I just eat my foods right out of the measuring cup so I am fully aware of how much I am consuming.

I do that too! I can't believe some of the serving sizes, though!:noway:
  • JDHINAZ
    JDHINAZ Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Drink a lot of water
    Try to eat produce at every meal
    Try to eat foods on the lower end of the glycemic index (it helps keep my blood sugar level - even though I'm not diabetic, and makes me feel full longer)
  • fitgal411
    Options
    Put the fork or sandwich down after every bite and pause to take sips of water.