how many days do you workout?

Options
i started out working out 2 to 3 days a week and looking at my journal this morning ive been to the gym for the last 6 days. i know your supposed to have a rest day but i hate how my calorie intake looks on my off days . i think im getting a little obsessed with the gym. i want this weight off of me and i know its not gonna come off if im on the couch, but is working out everyday doing more harm than good?

Replies

• TKHappy
    TKHappy Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    6... for me, but to each their own. :) Sundays are my rest days!
  • kpittman0612
    Options
    I work out for 6 days a week and rest on Saturdays. On my rest days I do something very light such as take a walk just to burn a few calories.
  • kateroot
    kateroot Posts: 435
    Options
    6 days a week. 5 days strength training, 4 days cardio.
  • Abrowe313
    Abrowe313 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    also... when i really push myself in the gym and burn alot of cals why do people say you should eat those calories back? isnt that defeating the purpose?
  • JodieElijah
    JodieElijah Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I aim for 6 days a week... but generally i do work out every day. Depends how my body feels as to whether i take a day off or not.
  • nmlt13
    nmlt13 Posts: 9
    Options
    6-7, but my 7th day is usually less intense than the other six days of cardio/strength training.
  • jsenecal12
    Options
    When I started in January, I kept it to 3-4 days a week. Now that I'm more in shape, though, I go for about an hour of activity every single day, just because I've begun to really enjoy it and look forward to it. If you're not tired or too sore, you're eating enough of the right foods, and if you feel like your body is up to it, I say more power to you! If your body is telling you you need a rest day then take it easy! Just listen to your body.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I try to workout everyday, even if it's just a short workout. Our bodies are designed to move everyday. While you might need to rest specific muscles if you overwork them, our bodies don't really need a day of doing nothing at all.
  • GoldspursX3
    GoldspursX3 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I do cardio Monday-Saturday. I lift weight Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. Works for me.
  • iam_thatdude
    iam_thatdude Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    6 days a week. 3 days hard cardio and 3 days weights/lighter cardio.

WHen I am feeling stuck I will knock out either a two a day workout or hit the gym on Sundays.
  • IcassI
    IcassI Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Six days a week due to this program I am doing. I will probably continue with six days a week in maintenance as well.
  • pullipgirl
    pullipgirl Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    3-6 days a week depends on how much I am eating for the week
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    I try to aim for at least 30mins per day, minimum. I sometimes give myself one rest day - usually on a Tuesday because the beginning of the week I am exhausted! That being said, I am still always walking on my 'off' days.
  • aj_31
    aj_31 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    6 days a week.

I usually do cardio 4x a week for about 45 min and then I do weights for 60 min M-Sat.
  • StartingAnewDay
    StartingAnewDay Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I strive for 4 days a week of structured, in the gym type workouts. I need something realistic that can carry me forever. The other 2 days, sometimes I do structured exercise, sometimes I try and do things that aren't structured but are at least a little active.

This allows me to keep a flexible state of mind and not be obsessive or disappear into a pit of dispair if something happens in my life where I can't exercise everyday. Bieng obsessive led to injuries, stalled weight, weight gain and confusion in me. Ultimately do what works for you.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    becoming obsessed doesn't help. Overtraining will NOT make you lose weight any faster. take a rest day -- may be on your rest day go for a nice walk or something. your body needs the recovery time and in fact that helps with losing weight more than overtraining does.
  • hokirayo
    hokirayo Posts: 36
    Options
    if you're feeling less than productive on your off days, maybe try alternating the activity, the intensity and the time spent working out every other day. for instance:
    day 1 cardio/30-45 min
    day 2 strength
    day 3 cardio/30-45 min

...and so on...
  • tracyface399
    tracyface399 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    When I first started I did every other day. Now I do 5 days a week taking off Monday and Thursday. It's working so far and I don't feel worn out. I think that when I get in better shape I'll want to only have 1 day off a week.
  • sevencallmemom
    sevencallmemom Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    5-6...sometimes more, but then I start seeing a decline in how well I do them.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I was doing 5 days/week with the weekend being true rest days but now I've incorporated walks on the weekend. Mostly because we've been adopted by a dog. It works out well though because he's helping us with our goals.