Just Looking for Support

Options
I've just started using this program after a couple of my co-workers had me get on it. My goal is to lose about 20 pounds and to keep my sodium levels down due to family history of thyroid issues. I'm just looking for a little support to keep me going even when I'm tired or want to snack on everything in sight. I'm a teacher and sometimes after a long day, I lose the motivation to do anything to stay healthy. I also want to be a better role model for my students.

If you'd like to join with me, I'd love to have someone to talk to and help keep our motivation up together!

Current Weight: 145
Goal Weight: 125

Replies

• Redbird99ky
    Redbird99ky Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I'd be good for you as a support, but I do have one piece of advice: While it is admirable to want to lower your sodium intake, you mentioned your family history of thyroid issues, you DON'T want to cut out table salt (the idoized variety), unless your diet is high in fish.
    Companies started iodizing table salt when it was discovered that it's an easy way to include iodine into the human diet. Iodine is NECESSARY for normal thyroid function.
    So, cut the sodium from processed foods, but feel free to add iodized salt to your cooking. For the record, Morton's kosher salt has about 490 mg of sodium per 1/4 teaspoon (about a pinch), which is enough to season a good sized steak. I don't even pretend to know what the iodine level is.
    I am sure that there are also some dietary supplements or multivitamins which contain iodine, so that's another alternative. Good luck on your journey.
    I know about the teacher part, also, as I taught electronics and computers for a local technical institute a few years back. Long hours, low pay, very stressful, but highly rewarding. Prior to that, I taught Algebra for the Navy.

Staying up long hours grading homework/quizzes/tests and preparing lesson plans is highly conducive to late night munch attacks. What you MIGHT want to do is allow for that in your meal plans.
  • katiemack86
    katiemack86 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for your reply. My dad never filled me in on not cutting iodized salt from my diet. That's good to know - I'm hoping my goal will help him cut down on his sodium (which is much worse than mine). I was shocked when I put in my information on the first day as was over on Sodium by 2000 mg.

By the way, thank you for your service to the country. :)
  • gregavila
    gregavila Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me to your friends list. I am happy to help!
  • MommaBug11
    Options
    Hi Katie, I will support you in your new journey of weight loss. I am a busy person such as yourself. I am trying to loose 25 pounds right now but over all I need to loose just over a 100 pounds total... I struggle because I work late into the night after my kids go to bed. I am a photographer and try to spend the day with my kids and my nights working on the photographs I take. I am here for chatting and bouncing thoughts off. I once thought about being a teacher. I never could figure out what I would be good at teaching.

Any ways feel free to add me to your support chain.

~Shauna
  • runnergirl117
    Options
    I'm a teacher also. Kindergarten! They keep active, but I need the extra push to stay on track also.
  • melonruby
    melonruby Posts: 11
    Options
    I'd love to give you some support, only to get some back of course! I'm trying to loose about 30 kg (about 66 lbs) and I have just started my journey again as I have been ill and wasn't able to stick to the plan.
    So support you I can!
  • katiemack86
    Options
    Thank you for all the replies! I'm really looking forward to not only getting support from all of you, but supporting all you as well. :)
  • jrnygirl
    jrnygirl Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP. Feel free to friend me. Our goals are similar. My starting weight is 151 and I'm hoping to get down to about 125. How tall are you? I'm 5'4", so I think that 125 would be good for my height.
  • katiemack86
    Options
    Thanks for the warm welcome. :) Our goals are pretty similar. I'm 5'4 as well. I was told that between 120-130 is the ideal weight for our height :)