Anyone else have a Box of Shame?

Options
tldust
tldust Posts: 103 Member
I've had this ”Box of Shame” for several years. It’s a plastic tote labeled with a sharpie. It contains all those cute clothes that I once loved, but got too fat to wear. I kept them with intentions of returning to that size---someday. Until recently, I had given up. I'm happy to report that I was able to reclaim a few items. And I donated some of the clothes I had been wearing to the Goodwill box, because they’re too big. You’re probably wondering, why I’m not celebrating and buying new clothes. Well, I’m a work in progress. Just passing through the 180’s and onto the 170’s and down to a more appropriate weight for my height. So I don’t expect to remain here for very long. I will, however, be buying myself a few new pairs of scrubs for work. I’m worried I might lose my pants once of these days. How would I explain that to my patient?

The Box of Shame had to wait so long for me to get it into gear that a number of things had to be donated, because they were no longer in style. I’m so glad low-rise is over. But it’s crazy that I ever allowed myself to get this far. Saving clothes that I no longer could wear and just buying bigger clothes. Seriously, what was I thinking? No bright flashing lights? Caution! Screaming sirens? Warning! Danger! Maybe it was denial.

Or just plain ignorance. I had never counted calories before January of this year. I had a huge misconception about portion sizes and the amount of calories in food. What I thought I was eating and what I was actually eating—huge difference.

Let the Box of Shame be a reminder to us all. If you’re pants start getting tight, you’re not doing something right.

Replies

• psiren28
    psiren28 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I used to have one, I think the oldest thing in it was a sparkly top I bought about 20 years ago from a flea market. It was too small then, I didn't try it on, but I loved it so I kept it. It's been sitting in a box of 'too small' clothes for years as I got bigger and bigger, and now it fits!! Luckily I'm not a fashion person, I likes what I likes so if I liked it 20 years ago, I still like it now.

There is only 1 item of clothing that is to small for me now and it's a top I bought recently. It's not a box of shame, it's a box of motivation. I WILL get in that top without looking like it's sprayed on :)

My box of shame is now all the clothes that are way too big that I'm going to sort through and either sell or give away.

Well done on your success so far, may it continue till your box of shame is empty :drinker:
  • meechster20001
    meechster20001 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I've cleared out loads of stuff moving house too many times but I do have an expensive pair of White linen trousers that I don't think even fitted properly 10 years ago. They're my goal for this summer if I can find which box they're in!
  • kindra3434
    kindra3434 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    My favorite jeans of all time...Levis, real Levi 501. Not those jeans made with stretchy material. Real 100% denim, I wore them in highschool when I weighed 115 pounds. I love those jeans...I have them hanging on my treadmill as inspiration, I may never get back into them but I know I will get close.
  • zoeluiisa
    zoeluiisa Posts: 392
    Options
    YES! A big suitcase under the bed. I'd been meaning to take it all to the charity shop but couldn't bring myself to do it because that would be like accepting that I wasn't ever going to fit into it again.

So it stayed there, until two weeks ago when I got it out and tried everything on. Half of it now fits and I've got a whole new wardrobe! And the other half is now DEFINITELY not going to the charity shop because I'm confident I'll be wearing it in a few months.

It is BRILLIANT :)
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Yes, except mine is in a garbage bag. A lot of stuff I grew out of I have given to charity shops over the years. I decided to put away all the recently too-small clothes until I lost weight, and some of them have started coming back out! I have started giving away my big clothes; I am NEVER going back there. I have learnt a lot. I thought I wasn't doing too bad, but being on MFP has taught me heaps about calories portion size etc and now I can see where I was going wrong.

About the only thing I have from way back is a beautiful Levi leather belt, brown, with flowers tooled on it. I wore it in the 70s - I just loved it and couldn't bear to give it away - I wonder if I will ever get to fit it again?? Probably not but I will just check when I am a lot further down the weight loss path.

Congratulations to everyone who is fitting into their old clothes :-)
  • tsherrill
    tsherrill Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Mine is a whole rack of clothes in the back of my closet. I've never thought of it as a rack of shame though, I've always called it my goal clothes, even when I wasn't trying to lose weight. I've haven't bothered to try anything on from it yet. I'm gonna wait until I hit my goal.
  • d0gma
    d0gma Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    I have two boxes in my closet, one full of shirts, the other full of jeans. I've never called them my boxes of shame, though. They are my "too fat to wear" boxes. Once I lose another 6 lbs I'll be taking a look at what's in there.

At one point, when I was doing a half-@ssed attempt at weight loss, I had a pull up bar in my closet door. As I kept getting fatter, that bar is where I would hang up all the clothes that still fit me. I ended up with a closet full of clothes that were then too small, and only a handful of jeans and shirts that still fit.
  • BobbieLee1959
    BobbieLee1959 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    In my closet is a pair of pants that was part of a three piece suit that my first boyfriend's mom bought for me, Christmas 1977. These are very nice polyester, high waist pants in a khaki color, size 11 and they represent my ultimate goal!...I know, laugh at me if you will, but when these fit, I will be a happy camper. I will wear them proudly, despite their age and possible out-of-styleness, because I CAN! and I am now publicly proclaiming :c) I can do this!!
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    I have a pair of Roxy jeans from when I weighed 140lbs. I have kept them and looked at them every time I clean my storage room. I think they're going to have to come out and be hung in my room somewhere for inspiration. Can't even get the damn things up my thighs. (And yes, I was stupid enough to have tried at 20lbs heavier...)
  • JSheehy1965
    JSheehy1965 Posts: 404
    Options
    My favorite jeans of all time...Levis, real Levi 501. Not those jeans made with stretchy material. Real 100% denim, I wore them in highschool when I weighed 115 pounds. I love those jeans...I have them hanging on my treadmill as inspiration, I may never get back into them but I know I will get close.

Yep - my real Levi 501 button fly jeans. They may have a wee rip in the knee but once I get back into them, I know I've done it!
  • lookinglasslass
    lookinglasslass Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I too have a selection of clothes I just can bare to get rid of and have kept for years "until I lose enough weight".:blushing:
    They currently take up one of the storage drawers under my bed and I have to guiltily admit that I have slowly been adding to the collection for years as I have gotten bigger and bigger.
    I hope that I'm now on the right track to actually get into some of these soon.
    It will remain my goal for the time being! Can't wait to have a "new" wardrobe again! :happy:
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    My wife has a box of "Skinny Clothes"...I suspect she'll find that once she's able to fit in them again she'll want different stuff.

I didn't keep much...There's 1 shirt that I love that I've never been able to wear but my wife wears it now as pajamas. I would like to be able to wear it. I also had a couple pairs of shorts that were size 36's I hadn't been able to wear in years...though now i'm into 34's and if I still have them I'll be wearing them soon.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!