Lifters.. What program do you..

Do? there are so many out there, NROWL, 5x5, pyramid, superset, full body, split days.. the list goes on...How did you decide which one was for you?

Do you ever mix programs?

What are your lifting goals? Increased strength? Endurance? Tone/Fat burn?

How do you judge progress?

I always wondered these things. I don't even really have a goal besides the fact I like lifting. I like the feeling it gives me. the clarity, the pump. However I have no set plan, I just concentrate on working all the muscles that need to be worked. I try for variety a lot and try for compound movements. Thats really the only thing I am concerned with when lifting and I was curious about everyone else.

Replies

• gdunn55
    gdunn55 Posts: 363
    I'm not looking for bulk, I look for endurance so I swap mine out every so often. I'll do full body workouts for so many weeks, then I change to another kind.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,805 Member
    Doing a plan laid out by my trainer with a focus on Powerlifting (the big 3.) Squat Day/Bench Day/Deadlift Day. I do a 3 week cycle where the first week I do a shorter ROM of the main lift, then a longer ROM on 2nd week, and full ROM on 3rd week (e.g. high-box squat, parallel box-squat, full squat). Assistance exercises each day that relate to the main lift; with a bit more reps (max of 12 reps). After each 3-week cycle I drop the reps and try to up the weight. I've only been doing this for about 6 weeks now (2 cycles), but I like the programming. Hard to judge strength progress since I'm still worried about my form.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    After a lot of research - Starting strength. General feedback is it's more sustainable to do 3x5 than 5x5.

I judge progress by being able to add plates to the bar.

My goal is strength.
  • holthaus30
    holthaus30 Posts: 58 Member
    I stick with 5x5 and have saw great results. Up to 255 all while in a cut.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,749 Member
    I don't do any particular program. I work one body part a day (with legs and abs on the alternating days) and shoot for 3 sets of 10, going heavy on each set. I don't usually hit the ten on each set because I'm pretty fatigued but I try like hell, with my husband spotting me or sometimes I have to "assist" myself when using the cable machines.

My goals are strength and muscle building.
  • GoldspursX3
    GoldspursX3 Posts: 516 Member
    I do SL 5X5. Did the split body routine for years with very slow progress. I personally like SL and have made very good progress on it.

My goal is strength and I judge my progress by hitting the same amount of reps/sets, loading 5 lbs more everytime I go to the gym.
  • Natx83
    Natx83 Posts: 1,298 Member
    I don't know the name of the program. I'm not that clued up :p

Big 3 also with rows, overhead prs, chin/pulls all six, every work out day 8 x 3.

I want to gain strength, but at the moment I'm aiming to maintain/tone muscle whilst sliming down. Still about 14lbs to go before I'm around my goal weight.
  • aj_31
    aj_31 Posts: 994 Member
    I'm having the same issue right now. Currently I'm doing the Jamie Eason plan but its been brought to my attention that her workout is more of an isolation vs compound workout. After reading up it seems I'd be better off with a compound workout since I need to build muscle and burn fat.

So what workout is best for that? NROL or something else? I don't know. I also found this program and thought maybe I should try this one.
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/beginner-to-advanced-bodybuilder-in-12-weeks-phase-1.html
    Any thoughts?

Also - for guys who want to build up their upper body more than anything what workout program would you suggest? My husband does a lot of walking and stair climbing and latter climbing daily so his legs are pretty tight but he wants to get is upper body more cut. Any suggestions for him?
  • aj_31
    Oh and can anyone give me the link to the SL 5x5 program? I've googled it and come up with a few different things but I'm not sure which is correct.

Thanks!
  • medennison123
    medennison123 Posts: 191 Member
    I like to stick with a program for at least 8 weeks.

I have been on a high volume low frequency over the winter months. It was ok. But I find that I grow better on a high frequency low volume routine. Most naturals do. I tack my process using a binder with the 8 or so weeks of workouts and my weights I got. That way I can say that over the winter I added 100 lbs to my deadlift.

Rate now I am on a 4 day push/pull.

Current goal is to lose some weight for summer. But still lifting heavy.

Overall goal is 6'3" 210 at 10% body fat.

Currently 6'3" 190 12-13% body fat. So That is a lot of muscle but no rush.

Once I get to that size I will focus solely on strength.

But I do strength and hypertrophy within my workouts.
  • aj_31
    Looking at the StrongLift program it surprises me how people have so much overall body success with only doing 5 different exercises. I would think you'd have to do a lot more than what this program offers but that just goes to show I know nothing about lifting. :blushing:
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Just started NROL this week. Sore all over after the first workout on Tuesday and the second is tomorrow!
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,870 Member
    Um... I just sort of do whatever I feel like...

(please don't smack me!)
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    I did NROlFW before I got into crossfit. Both are great in giving really good results. I did p90x several times but wasn't impressed with those results. I definitely think Multi joint exercises (squats, cleans, deadlifts, push jerk, etc) are where it's at! So I'm not a fan of splitting things up or isolating muscles....your body was desigined as a unit so train it as such!
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,805 Member
    Looking at the StrongLift program it surprises me how people have so much overall body success with only doing 5 different exercises. I would think you'd have to do a lot more than what this program offers but that just goes to show I know nothing about lifting. :blushing:

Quality over quantity. As long as you keep up the intensity (read: weight), you'll see some good results.
  • spartacus69
    spartacus69 Posts: 235

Those exercises work the biggest muscle groups, making it a very efficient program for strength training. And don't let the "5 reps" fool you either; if you're doing it properly with all the recommended warm-up sets, you're moving a lot of iron around.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    I've been doing StongLifts for 5 weeks now.

BTW, ladies, we have a new group:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/4618-stronglifts-5x5-for-women
  • StartingAnewDay
    StartingAnewDay Posts: 319 Member
    Think I might give the SL a try for a couple weeks. Lil worried about the squats though. Have had 2 knee surgeries for meniscus tears. Not sure I'm ready to squat heavy. Guess I'll have to see...