Eating for two, right?

Options
Ok this drives me freakin NUTS! I was ordering breakfast at my work cafeteria today and the generally nice cook was taking my order and joked that I couldn't order breakfast, to which I jokingly replied- but I'm hungry! And he said " I bet, cause you're eating for two right?" and I said "no." and stonewalled him for the rest of my order. This is not the first time ppl have said I look pregnant when I'm not but it is SO FREAKING INSULTING! :(:(:(:( I hate people like this! I'm just fat! Don't open your stupid mouths and say something like that!!! I ran like 20 miles this week! And I'm still fat! I am BEYOND pissed :(:(:(
way to make me feel terrible about my appearance!

Replies

• Jade17694
    Jade17694 Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    You're a lot politer than me then! I would have said something very unpleasant back!
  • mercurymumof3
    Options
    AAAgh - you know that would have p*ssed me off when I was pregnant - heaven forbid anybody said it to me now (and with my disproportionate belly from 3 kids I wouldn't be surprised if they did either) How utterly rude, I think you did well to stay there and eat your meal. Some people are just totally ignorant. (((hugs)))
  • Ribena145
    Ribena145 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. I had that happen to me after losing like 30 - 35 lbs! But you are so much better than him. You're here, you're working towards being a better you and you are running. Betcha he's no where near you. So let it go and continue on YOUR journey.
  • katy84o
    katy84o Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    This lady that I worked with at my first job, was a bigger women. Not really fat, but she was easily 6'2" and she wasn't a skinny minny. She had a bigger belly, but didn't look pregnant. We went out to lunch one day and the lady behind the counter touched her belly and said "when are you due" and my co-worker replied I'm 55 years old, you're touching fat. The waitress turned bright red and practically ran away! Even when I see a women who is clearly pregnant I would never bring it up unless they did first, if you're wrong it's rude and weird! Sorry that happened to you! Keep up the good work though! :)
  • kateflourishes
    kateflourishes Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Betcha he's no where near you.

Yeah i bet not. he had a good extra 40 lbs on him; more weight than i've ever needed to lose!
  • galegetsthin
    galegetsthin Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    I used to have this happen to me a time or two a week. It made me so miserable. I would cry every time that it happened. My bf pointed something out though. If they think I look "pregnant", that means that I do not look "fat". If you are at all shaped like I was, I had thin arms and legs and *sorta* face. just my belly held all the weight. And I knew the belly was the issue, it is what I was working on. When people would say something after that, I would respond with "no, I am working on losing weight. Feel MUCH better. also, it is not polite to ask about a pregnancy unless you have seen a positive test." It shut them up and made them feel like a tool, and helped me by not really being rude, but still validating that I dont *look* fat. It will stop. It will take time. It took me about 30 lbs before it stopped, but try to remember, it is that they dont look at you and see COW, they see Mamma. Chin up, keep running!
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    My blog post this week was about this very topic because a friend got asked this twice in recent weeks. She ended up donating both outfits she was wearing when asked because they made her look bigger around the middle (not to me, but she said that's what she thought):

http://leah-onesnap.blogspot.com/
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I've had that happen once. In their defense, I was totally leaning back and rubbing my very full food belly (food baby!). I still asked the woman if she asked that of every fat woman she spoke to and suggested that she not as it was a very. dangerous. practice.
  • kateflourishes
    Options
    If you are at all shaped like I was, I had thin arms and legs and *sorta* face. just my belly held all the weight.

That is EXACTLY my body shape- thin arms and legs, alllll the extra 25 lbs are in my belly. i'm sure someday i'll get back to where I was before I had my daughter. its not so much the extra weight as the stretched out muscles that are making me look like this i think. but i'm tackling both at the same time and hopefully will be successful.
  • galegetsthin
    galegetsthin Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    If you are at all shaped like I was, I had thin arms and legs and *sorta* face. just my belly held all the weight.

That is EXACTLY my body shape- thin arms and legs, alllll the extra 25 lbs are in my belly. i'm sure someday i'll get back to where I was before I had my daughter. its not so much the extra weight as the stretched out muscles that are making me look like this i think. but i'm tackling both at the same time and hopefully will be successful.

You will be! Just stick with it. Try not to get upset. People will say that when trying to be polite and start conversation. They truly think you MUST be pregnant because you are NOT fat. In a strange way, i learned to look at it almost as a complement and it became easier. Then it just stopped. You are a very pretty girl and just from face, I would not assume you were overweight either. You will get there. I was 342 at one point. This morning, I was 163....... It takes a lot of work, and you will notice imperfections more trying to lose weight, for everything bad you think when you look in the mirror, say, out loud, 2 good things about your body. I have the muscle issue too from my little girl and the c-section, and gallbladder surgery 4 months after. You will get there!!!!!!
  • russeljames
    russeljames Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    NEVER NEVER NEVER Ask a girl when she is due, if she is eating for two if she is pregnant, never, why do people do this...unless you see a baby's arm coming out of her uterus, do not ask if she is preggo, why is this so hard to understand
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    That is the curse of the apple shaped women. Pear shaped women have saddle bags, fat thighs, knees, calves but still an hourglass shape when we gain weight.

Fortunately, you have fabulous arms and legs!!! I would wear short empire summer dresses if I were you!!! Show off these long slender legs! Wear less tight fitting clothes around the mid-section till you are closer to your goal.

I'm sorry people say inconsiderate things. I wish you the best of luck in your journey.
  • kateflourishes
    Options
    NEVER NEVER NEVER Ask a girl when she is due, if she is eating for two if she is pregnant, never, why do people do this...unless you see a baby's arm coming out of her uterus, do not ask if she is preggo, why is this so hard to understand

SERIOUSLY!!! Why people think this is a good idea is BEYOND me!!
  • MJ7910
    MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Say something like "well I was, but i lost my baby last week. thanks for bringing it up"

it makes them feel really bad about their comment and might teach them to keep their mouth shut.
  • kalynn06
    kalynn06 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    A lady asked me when I was due at my grandmother's wake, while I was standing in front of her casket . I did look tired and puffy, and I had on a loose dress top, but I also had size 4 pants on, and you could not see any belly, just kind of a flowy top. It was an utterly appalling way to make me feel worse at a time I didn't think anything could.

It's a horrible question to ask anyone unless they come out and say they are pregnant.
  • terrie_exercise_mom
    Options
    Ok this drives me freakin NUTS! I was ordering breakfast at my work cafeteria today and the generally nice cook was taking my order and joked that I couldn't order breakfast, to which I jokingly replied- but I'm hungry! And he said " I bet, cause you're eating for two right?" and I said "no." and stonewalled him for the rest of my order. This is not the first time ppl have said I look pregnant when I'm not but it is SO FREAKING INSULTING! :(:(:(:( I hate people like this! I'm just fat! Don't open your stupid mouths and say something like that!!! I ran like 20 miles this week! And I'm still fat! I am BEYOND pissed :(:(:(
    way to make me feel terrible about my appearance!
    My sister is asked this all the time and mind you she had 10, yes 10 kids, with her youngest being 2 year old twins. She is like 143 lbs and I just think it is rude of ppl to assume things. I would never say such a remark. To me if the person is pg and wants to say something that is her right but in no way is it anyone else's right to touch ur stomachs period or make remarks. People need to learn to think before they speak! That simple.
  • terrie_exercise_mom
    Options
    This lady that I worked with at my first job, was a bigger women. Not really fat, but she was easily 6'2" and she wasn't a skinny minny. She had a bigger belly, but didn't look pregnant. We went out to lunch one day and the lady behind the counter touched her belly and said "when are you due" and my co-worker replied I'm 55 years old, you're touching fat. The waitress turned bright red and practically ran away! Even when I see a women who is clearly pregnant I would never bring it up unless they did first, if you're wrong it's rude and weird! Sorry that happened to you! Keep up the good work though! :)
    Love that response!!!
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Who in the hell touches some random stranger's stomach? Every time I read this it horrifies me more.

I swear if anyone ever touches my stomach, pregnant or not, I'll snap. This is MY BODY, keep your HANDS OFF ME.
  • kateflourishes
    Options
    Who in the hell touches some random stranger's stomach? Every time I read this it horrifies me more.

I swear if anyone ever touches my stomach, pregnant or not, I'll snap. This is MY BODY, keep your HANDS OFF ME.

True!!! When I was pregnant, luckily I never had a stranger touch my stomach. However, if they had, I would have been pretty upset. Why people think that is acceptable is beyond me too!
  • melissan84
    melissan84 Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Sadly, I know how you feel. I have a huge pouch leftover after my two kids and I get asked all the time: How many months are you? Oh, let me carry that for you, a lady in your condition shouldn't be carrying this?

It doesn't make me angry but makes me sad that I did indeed look at least 3-4 months pregnant. No joke especially around that time of the month. :(