Is this enough???

Options
I have just recently incorporated exercise into my daily routine. I suffer from severe plantar fasciatis, back injury from a car accident, and bad knees. That along with the large amount I weigh really made it difficult to get going. That being said, I am not completely sedentary as I work 3 - 4 days a week, and am on my feet for almost 8 hours, up and down ladders, stocking, etc. I have the OK from my doctor to do whatever I am comfortable with and I am now riding a stationery bike for 30 to 45 min every day and just started rowing on a stationery machine. I am trying to stay away from impact exercise for now and looking for the most bang for my buck so to speak. I seem to be able to burn a significant amount of calories on the bike, more so than yoga or walking and I am just wondering if that is enough. I don't burn a lot of calories with the rowing machine but I definitely feel it in my legs and arms after 50 or so strokes so it must be doing something. I want to start the Power 90 at the end of the month and having reviewed it, will probably stay at the first level, low weight and no impact for quite a while, at least until my strength increases and my weight decreases. I am determined to lose slowly, I really don't want a bunch of loose skin. Any thoughts or suggestions? Appreciate you taking the time to read this.

Replies

• louisianagirl65
    Options
    Hi, Hanna, good for you for adding exercise to your weight loss plans!! I think as long as you are moving you are burning calories!!I would pick whatever exercise works for you and doesn't create any add'l pain for you. As a person recovering from a total knee replacement, I know how de-motivating having pain can be. I like to do the ellyptical (sp??) machine as it really does give you the most bang for your buck and it is low impact.

Good luck and I wish you continued success!! Donna
  • bubbles1212
    bubbles1212 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I think if you just keep moving, doing what you can when you can. Then start to add a little struggle into it.. make it a little harder each week or so. you will lose and it will be enough
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have a great plan!

I have steel rods in my spine, a bulging disc and I had bursitis and a stress fracture in my hip, so I can certainly understand how physical issues can play a role in your exercise routine. Just go slow and steady. Work your way up slowly. :)

You can do this!

Good Luck!
  • silmeria2
    silmeria2 Posts: 13
    Options
    I would say that whatever your doctor signs off is probably good. I'm low impact as well due to a joint condition. I find that hiking and the elliptical both give me a good calorie burn. Hope this helps.
  • Bomber989
    Bomber989 Posts: 24
    Options
    I'm working through back injuries and weight loss and have found the ellyptical and stationary bike work best for me. My body does sense the additional impact the ellyptical provides but if the body can handle it, it's a great calory burn as well. Best of luck and I commend you for taking things slow. I'm sure you will appreciate that in the long run as you reduce the chance of injury, at least the best you can. Cheers!
  • mindidily
    mindidily Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I switched to doing low impact while I was "super pregnant" and the elliptical was great. The gym also has another machine I like better, though I don't know the exact name of it. It's kind of like an elliptical and stairmaster.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Just keep doing what you are doing! You are burning calories, and getting a great workout by doing the bike. Also the if you are rowing and your muscles are hurting after you are probably burning more calories than you think. Also for anyone like me, who is close the 300 mark or heavier definitely get to your local drug store, and start taking Osteo Bi-Flex with 5 loxin in it. I've had really bad on and off knee, foot, and ankle pain every time I start to workout, and never get a good routine going, but this stuff starts working right away, and is great for your joints! Use the one a day pills so much easier.
  • hanna6774
    hanna6774 Posts: 225
    Options
    Sounds like you have a great plan!

I have steel rods in my spine, a bulging disc and I had bursitis and a stress fracture in my hip, so I can certainly understand how physical issues can play a role in your exercise routine. Just go slow and steady. Work your way up slowly. :)

You can do this!

Good Luck!

Wow! You look amazing!
  • Donnacoach
    Donnacoach Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Congrats on taking this big step forward. Do what your body allows you to do and you
    should be fine. Back injury had me pretty non mobile for about 15 years. Had fusion
    done three years ago and I am now able to do all the things I haven't been able to for
    a long time. I wish you lots of luck in your new journey.
  • stevewynjones
    stevewynjones Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Do your bast and forget the rest - T. Horton:smile:

Great work so far...
  • jackiesaurus
    jackiesaurus Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Biking, elliptical, rowing are all great! Outside of the gym I find roller skating and hiking super fun and a motivating calorie burn on the weekend when I avoid the gym, lol. There is also swimming, the lowest impact you can get!
  • Jennybebop
    Jennybebop Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Do you have access to a pool? Swimming laps is an EXCELLENT cardio and toning workout... So gentle on the body and good for you!
  • hanna6774
    hanna6774 Posts: 225
    Options
    Do you have access to a pool? Swimming laps is an EXCELLENT cardio and toning workout... So gentle on the body and good for you!

Yes - and I am totally a water baby! I just have to suck it up (or in!) and get the gumption to put a swimsuit on.......and go out it public lol!