Best exercises for lower belly and love handles?

Options
Hey everyone!

Just curious what you have had luck with to help tighten lower belly and love handles area. Trying to do sit ups with a yoga ball but just trying to get some ideas so I can change things up.

Thanks ahead of time!

Replies

• Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I don't know how much you're actually carrying there, but you can't get rid of fat from just one area. However, heavy (relative to your strength level) squats help with core strength. Planks are also something people recommend a lot. Also, I liked Bicycle Crunches when I did direct abwork.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I've been really pleased with Brazilian Butt LIft - there is even a Tummy Tuck video with the program.
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    I wrap a warm towel around my waist, then I do about 132,457 sit ups.

:bigsmile:
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    The trick to belly fat is to not eat any food that is round.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,679 Member
    Options
    Spot reduction of fat with exercise isn't possible, however just doing strong ab work helps to give you stronger abs. Believe it or not, compound movements like squats, bent over rows, deadlifts, military press give you a strong core if you are lifting heavy since you need to stabilize your mid section to hold up the weight.
    Direct training would be exercises like crunches, leg lifts and side bend of various types.

Bodybuilding.com's exercise cache has a lot of them with videos.

A.C.E. Certified Personal & Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • kateroot
    kateroot Posts: 435
    Options
    Can't spot reduce. Cardio, strength training, clean diet, and perhaps most importantly.. patience.
  • KPainter70
    KPainter70 Posts: 152
    Options
    Make sure your diet's on point, then lift heavy using compound movements. They're great for working your core.
  • fakeplastictree
    fakeplastictree Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    cardio...cardio...cardio...??? yes, that's it. cardio.

Oh, and yes a good diet.
  • Elizadolots
    Elizadolots Posts: 178
    Options
    Try Jillian Michael's 30 day shred. Really makes a difference!
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options

I was going to suggest Jillian's 6-week to 6-pack video. I just started doing it and can definitely feel a difference.
  • CrazyLazyStylist
    CrazyLazyStylist Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I knew I was doing something wrong. Yesterday I stopped at 132,456
  • heatherlindsays
    heatherlindsays Posts: 12 Member
    Options

I agree with pp! I just started the 30 Day shred 2 weeks ago and I already see great results. My "baby pouch" is slowly going away! I run also, but in time it will get smaller! Good luck!
  • karendsmith
    karendsmith Posts: 167
    Options
    That is a problem area of mine also. My stomach has been improving in appearance. I stay within my daily calorie goals. I eat all my fruit (sugar) early in the day, lots of cardio and plenty of crunches, planks, side crunches, anything and everything that targets those muscles. You can google ab exercises and there are lots of different exercise suggestions to keep it interesting. I think its a combo of diet, cardio, and ab work.
  • Tara1090
    Tara1090 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I knew I was doing something wrong. Yesterday I stopped at 132,456

^^^ LOL
  • Acliff510
    Acliff510 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Burpees!! google video them you haven't seen them done before. Great for cardio , upper body, & abs. Great to include in a circuit workout!!! :)
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    cardio...cardio...cardio...??? yes, that's it. cardio.

Oh, and yes a good diet.

I don't mean to sound like a jerk by contradicting you...but this has been proven repeatedly to not be true. Or, rather...it can work, but it's quite counter productive. Cardio is really only good for your heart and lungs. You can lose weight from it of course, but much of it will be lean mass, which is what you've got to KEEP if you want to reduce bodyfat and don't want to spend progressively more and more time on your cardio machine.
    Spot reduction of fat with exercise isn't possible, however just doing strong ab work helps to give you stronger abs. Believe it or not, compound movements like squats, bent over rows, deadlifts, military press give you a strong core if you are lifting heavy since you need to stabilize your mid section to hold up the weight.

This is 100% accurate. Additionally, working major muscle groups (particularly your legs!) burns more overall calories (directly), along with burning calories in repair after. It spikes your growth hormone production which tells your body not to store fat to begin with...and specifically to maintain your lean mass.

Win/win!
  • beccbailey
    beccbailey Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Why the warn towel?