Tips on adding calories, but not necessarily carbs.

Options
I'm not trying to eat low carb by any means! But I'm also not trying to go over what MFP is recommending for me to eat for carbohydrates. I'm probably just being paranoid--I have 60-100 carbs left most days--I should just eat them, right?

What are some foods that add calories, but not carbs? I don't want to feel like I'm eating pounds of spinach everyday!

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    oils

eggs

butter
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Cheese :P~~~
  • JonathonMars
    JonathonMars Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Thanks...I've been eating quite a big of eggs, but I'll add the other two.
  • Acg67
    Options
    Thanks...I've been eating quite a big of eggs, but I'll add the other two.

So what's with the Carbophobia?
  • TinaCleg_cancel
    Options
    Technically this is not food to eat, but I use IDS Whey protein shots. They have no carbs or sugar and lots of protein. I also get very low carb protein shakes to work into my day.
  • enginerd81
    Options
    Have you adjusted your macro's for what you want or are yous till using what MFP defaults to?
  • JonathonMars
    Options
    It's years of listening to the media. I am definitely trying to work on it. I don't want to eat low carb by any means, but still unsure about eating over my carb limit. I am not an athletic or active person. I guess I should just shut up and become one, though, huh?
  • JonathonMars
    Options
    I'm using MFP's recommendations for the carbs, fats, etc. I set my own calorie goal, but am trying to eventually eat 200+ calories than that. I really don't know enough to adjust the macros on my own. Tried to read some recommendations for carbs, but they seemed kind of low to me.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I eat 250-300g of carbs a day. Unless you have a medical condition and have been advised to watch your carbs, you'll be just fine eating your allotted amount of carbs for the day.

Don't listen to all the media hype about carbs or fat or blah blah blah being bad for you. As I said, as long as you don't have any medical conditions - no one macro will make you gain weight or remain overweight. Overeating makes you gain weight. Calories in. Calories out. :)
  • JonathonMars
    Options
    Yeah, I've started using whey, too lately. It's great. Had a bit of trepidation, because it's always been in my mind, something for guys trying to bulk up that lift all the time. But, another thing I guess I need to get over, cause a lot of ladies trying to slim down seem to love it, too!
  • Acg67
    Options
    It's years of listening to the media. I am definitely trying to work on it. I don't want to eat low carb by any means, but still unsure about eating over my carb limit. I am not an athletic or active person. I guess I should just shut up and become one, though, huh?

The mainstream media isn't the best source of nutrition information. Try to shoot for a minimum of 1g of pro per lb of lbm and .35g of fat per lb of bw, fill in the rest of your cals as you see fit. You can eat as little or as many carbs that will fit into the rest of your cals if you wish.
  • heatherk0908
    heatherk0908 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I like the Atkins products. The shakes are good and have 160 calories but only 2 net carbs. They have a good amount of protein. Same with their bars. I also tend to have about that many carbs left over. I just feel a LOT better when i eat lower carb.

Also of course lean proteins like chicken breast or fish will have lots of protein, no carbs and not many calories or fats.

eggs and cheese are good too, but not TOO many of course.

Pistachios are a good nut choice (and almonds too but you really have to watch your portions on these, it's easy to overeat them!)
  • JonathonMars
    Options
    I am currently eating 40-45 almonds/day. :)
  • JonathonMars
    Options
    Acg67, didn't quite get that, but I'll figure it out and try to use it.
  • pobski
    pobski Posts: 42 Member
    Options

The mainstream media isn't the best source of nutrition information. Try to shoot for a minimum of 1g of pro per lb of lbm and .35g of fat per lb of bw, fill in the rest of your cals as you see fit. You can eat as little or as many carbs that will fit into the rest of your cals if you wish.

I get the protein requirement for preserving muscle, but what is the .35g of fat /lb of bw for? I would assume for hormone production?
  • Acg67
    Options
    Acg67, didn't quite get that, but I'll figure it out and try to use it.

So everyday you should shoot for a minimum of 1g of protein per lb of lean body mass (total weight - fat weight) and around .35g of fat per lb of body weight.

Let's assume you're 200lbs with 25% bodyfat, and you're eating 2500 cals a day. You'd shoot for a minimum of 150g of protein per day and 70g of fat. 150g of pro = 600 cals, 70g of fat = 630 cals. So you have 1,270 cals left and you can spread those cals over pro, fat and carbs however you'd like.
  • JonathonMars
    Options
    So, in this system I am not concerned with going over limits, but at least reaching a minimum when it comes to fats and proteins. Okay.
  • Acg67
    Options

I get the protein requirement for preserving muscle, but what is the .35g of fat /lb of bw for? I would assume for hormone production?

It'd cover your bases for getting in your EFAs and hormonal regulation
  • Acg67
    Options
    So, in this system I am not concerned with going over limits, but at least reaching a minimum when it comes to fats and proteins. Okay.

Yup, instead of setting ceilings on macros, you're setting floors. Gives you more room to play around with your diet and figure out what works best for you while covering your bases in pro and fat
  • JonathonMars
    Options
    Hmm. I think I need a personal trainer and nutritionist. Ha.