Coconut Oil?

Options
Ive never heard of this before, but I saw it in the store, and I've seen it in peoples diarys. Is this better then EVOO???

Replies

• tony1307
    tony1307 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Yes.. It is. I use it ANY TIME i have to fry anything. Get Virgin coconut oil.
    I would even melt some, and mix it with honey or jam and put on my toast.
    There is a huge list on a website for recies using cocnut oil.
  • NickPineault
    Options
    Yes, coconut oil is awesome. The MCT's in it are fats that are used for energy. The best fat source you can get!

BTW: don't worry about the saturated fat content... those are actually good for you!

Nick
    Nutrition and Weight loss coach
    Ive never heard of this before, but I saw it in the store, and I've seen it in peoples diarys. Is this better then EVOO???
  • CherylAnne1988
    Options
    awesome guys thank u!!!
  • AmberLeannnn
    AmberLeannnn Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    It is also great to put on your skin! Stretch marks, scars, wrinkles... I love it! It has saved me after my pregnancy.
  • weathergirl320
    Options
    i want to know where you people get your coconut oil from!!!! i have read/heard of people using it for everything from cooking to lotion to coffee. but where do you get it???? the only kind i have found is ridiculously expensive!!! if i actually bought some i would treat it like liquid gold lmao
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Coconut Oil is AWESOME - make sure you are buying cold pressed VIRGIN coconut oil...not refined....

I usually buy mine from Trader Joes since they have their own version for about $6-7 or so a jar. You can usually find it in the Grocery Store isle in the organics section - usually anywhere from 7-12 a jar.

It will be solid at room temp - I use it mainly for sauteeing veggies or when i fry up my salmon cakes (I use a smaller pan so I use less oil overall) so a jar lasts me about a month...
  • sabinecbauer
    sabinecbauer Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    It' wonderful stuff, and very healthy. Even healthier than EVOO, though that's hard to imagine :wink: Be sure you get the extra virgin coconut oil, not the refined stuff! And yes, that is expensive, but it's worth it. You may want to check with your health food or organic food store if they can order in a large tub--I got a 7.5 lbs tub, which works out a little cheaper.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Good stuff! I get mine at Trader Joe's - use it to fry my eggs every morning, it goes on my popcorn, and I'm finding more and more ways to use it. I also keep some in my bathroom & use it as a smoothing/glossing treatment for my hair each day - way better than any leave-in conditioner or smoother/glosser I've ever bought!
  • CherylAnne1988
    Options
    i saw it at food lion
  • jared767
    jared767 Posts: 76
    Options
    Aside from their suggestion, you can also mix some chocolate on it and pour it on top of frozen fruits to get a crunchy chocolate toppings.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    just be aware, for some purposes it's not the best choice, it has a different smoke point then EVOO and it goes rancid at different times and temperatures.

Smoke point for coconut oil is 350 where as it's 375 for EVOO (both are pretty low), which means high heat cooking is out for them. Once an oil reaches it's smoke point you've destroyed all the goodness in it (basically).
  • RosieWest8
    RosieWest8 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Also make sure to buy a brand that if packaged in an opaque package…not a clear one.
  • JenAiMarres
    JenAiMarres Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I LOVE it!! Barleans cold pressed extra virgin...by far my fave....it has a very slight coconut flavor that is only detectable with sweeter foods (like in my protein shakes)...but I also use it to make veggies...and the flavor is undeteclable. This brand also has the best consitancy IMO and blends very easily and has a really silky texture.

Make sure you buy the cold pressed extra virgin...Do not buy refined...the nutirents are lost in the heating process..
  • xraylady33
    xraylady33 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    mix it with oatmeal
    soothe a sunburn
    helps with mosquito bites

The uses are endless, but CAUTION...if you choose to mix it with anything without cooking, start slow, it cleanses you!
  • Mandired78
    Options
    The best deal I have found is at Vitacost.com. We use it as a substitute for butter or shortening in recipes, sautéing veggies, on toast, popcorn,etc! So yummy!
  • JenAiMarres
    Options
    I also dry brush my skin and apply coconut oil after wards before bed every night....(I use the refined kind for this purpose)...It absorbs quickly and you are not a greasy mess but wake up with extra soft skin!
  • TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    i saw it at food lion

Chances are, that one is refined. That means that it was heated, so its nutrients were cooked out. NOW, I would still buy that one to put on my skin. I use LouAna from Walmart to put on my skin and to shave.

But the kind that I eat is Virgin Coconut oil. It is cold pressed, so the nutrients are not cooked out.

Just Google the difference between refined and virgin coconut oil.

I swear it has helped my skin so much. I also dry brush my skin (Google it too) and I have seen a huge difference in just the past 5 weeks of doing it. My SIL saw me at New Years and then this past weekend and she said my tummy skin looked so much better (I have 6 kids, so I have stretch marks and loose skin) It is not perfect, but it is a lot better.

So, I give coconut oil a HUGE thumbs up!!
    The best deal I have found is at Vitacost.com. We use it as a substitute for butter or shortening in recipes, sautéing veggies, on toast, popcorn,etc! So yummy!

This is the exact one that I eat, I buy it off of Amazon
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    I've read that it can also be used as a personal lubricant. No kidding! :blushing:
  • JenAiMarres
    Options
    i saw it at food lion

Chances are, that one is refined. That means that it was heated, so its nutrients were cooked out. NOW, I would still buy that one to put on my skin. I use LouAna from Walmart to put on my skin and to shave.

But the kind that I eat is Virgin Coconut oil. It is cold pressed, so the nutrients are not cooked out.

Just Google the difference between refined and virgin coconut oil.

I swear it has helped my skin so much. I also dry brush my skin (Google it too) and I have seen a huge difference in just the past 5 weeks of doing it. My SIL saw me at New Years and then this past weekend and she said my tummy skin looked so much better (I have 6 kids, so I have stretch marks and loose skin) It is not perfect, but it is a lot better.

So, I give coconut oil a HUGE thumbs up!!

yep..this girl ^^^^^^^ gave me all my coconut oil ideas! and I love them all!! I buy it in bulk now!