Dear scale - piss off

Options
2»

Replies

• chelseelovesyou
    chelseelovesyou Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I don't own one anymore. That's how hardcore I was when I said I divorced mine. I just eat right, work out, & use my clothes as a measurement to success.

Screw the scale.
  • sehrler
    sehrler Posts: 89 Member
    Options

Anyway, I know how you feel. I used my new digital scale this morning and learned I was 14# heavier. Logically, I still lost the same amount of weight, but emotionally, I'm fatter than I thought I was. Instead of being 12# to my mid-goal, I'm 26#. Just keep in mind that you're not the only person who feels like that.

Exact same thing happened to me when I changed scales last week--only a 2 lb difference but still, it really bugged me! Mostly because it meant I was over a certain weight when I started which for me was a sore point. But I made myself get over it, and the week long plateau afterwards...scale is now moving again.

I just kept reminding myself that lean muscle weighs more than fat and I've been working really hard, eventually it will HAVE to show up on that scale--and my measurements are changing so I know it's progress! I don't know why I get so bent over that stupid scale!
  • dlpnrn2b
    dlpnrn2b Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I feel ya. I stepped on the scale this morning hoping to be in the 134s and was 137. FU scale.

^^^^LOVE IT^^^^
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    So I've been eating better for two weeks. Started Zumba this week. Counted calories. All that good stuff. I got on the scale today and am 2 pounds heavier. Now, LOGICALLY I know there's no way that I ate 7,000 calories over what it takes just to maintain my weight this last week. I know that. But EMOTIONALLY, I want to throw my scale through a window or at a brick wall. So can somebody help calm the voice in my head screaming profanities? Has this happened to anyone else? WHY is it happening? Water weight? Alien sabotage?

Pertinent facts - my BMR is 1,741 and my TDEE is 2,417 (that's the lightly active selection to cover my work outs). I eat at or around 1,800 - 1,900 a day. Zumba is twice a week, other than that I do some light walking but nothing I'd consider actual exercise.

Oh, I remember these days....

Stick with it. It will shift. But in the meantime, keep it up. Take measurements. I did 30 Day Shred and didn't lose a pound, but lost 4 inches off my waist alone. Then I did Ripped and I lost a few more inches, and like 2 pounds. Now it's shifted though, and I'm losing pounds (but not so much in inches anymore!)
  • zambodiare
    Options
    You know what? Go outside, find an unsuspecting person...and KICK THEIR *kitten*!! I'm kidding. Don't do that. I'm sure the scales in jail are a lot worse! :)

This happened to me recently and I was beyond pissed! Everyone says not to pay attention to the number, but when you obviously have enough weight to lose, you think that there's no way it could come back on! So I refused to weigh myself for two weeks....I scowled at the scale. It paid off. I think I needed to put it behind me and focus on what was important; actually being healthy. I'm not going to tell you to forget the numbers because I don't believe that is possible. Let's be realistic. I can just say that I know you can overcome this. You have the strength. If I can do this, anyone can.

Plus, I'm pretty sure it was aliens....
  • coffeebydesign
    Options
    I'll agree with everyone mentioning the water weight as well as starting Zumba being a shock to your body. You should also keep in mind, that Zumba, while it is mainly a lot of cardio, you are going to develop muscles that haven't been used before, or perhaps not recently. That along with water weight and other factors, will most likely be an explanation for the two pounds. Instead of telling the scale to piss off, tell the two pounds to piss off. and keep doing what you're doing.
  • jovz10
    jovz10 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    seems like you just started... i would suggest to eat your TDEE # but don't eat your exercise back.... worked for a lot of people.... :) good luck!
  • BlueInkDot
    BlueInkDot Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Sorry about the scale. Scales are jerks. Stupid scales... D:<

But in all seriousness, the scale is only KIND OF a good measurement of how well you're doing. There are so many things that factor into that stupid number, you can only go off of it over a long term.. general... sorta kinda... trend.. type deal. Short term mini-fluxuations don't mean a darn thing.

If you're eating wholesome foods, fueling your body well, staying under your calories, and getting a good work out at least every few days, then you are doing it right! Don't let the jerk scale get you down and keep at it. Eventually the scale will be more lenient with you. :P

And like other's have said. Going by the mirror and how well your clothes fit is definitely a better indicator of your progress. It's just not as measureable. :P

Don't give up and good luck!!
  • acresfield
    acresfield Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I put my scales in the attic a week ago and bought some body fat calipers instead.
    We all need a number to focus on and weight can change for many reasons as some people have mentioned. Body fat is less complicated!
  • aknavychic
    Options
    The number can go up for a while as your body transfers muscle for fat. I don't check once a week because of that. I do notice my clothes fit better and I have more energy and to me that means wayyyyy more than the numbers. Hope that helps.
  • DFWTT
    DFWTT Posts: 374
    Options
    1. Divorce your emotions from the scale. It's just a number. Not a judgment. You are more than a number.
    2. Establish a weigh in day and only care about that number.

This cracks me up every time I read it. "Ignore this number, but pay attention to this number instead".

Anyway, I know how you feel. I used my new digital scale this morning and learned I was 14# heavier. Logically, I still lost the same amount of weight, but emotionally, I'm fatter than I thought I was. Instead of being 12# to my mid-goal, I'm 26#. Just keep in mind that you're not the only person who feels like that.

Digital scales are finicky when it comes to the surface you place them on.porous floors, such as plywood and/or covered in linoleum, can produce inconsistent results when moved around. Find a way to keep it from being moved around day to day. Also, it is the consistency you are looking for. step on and get a number, off and allow to reset, repeat 3X....could be that this scale is generally out of calibration as well. Fell out of the box and hit the floor or something. 14# is a huge difference scale to scale. Most deviations for quality load cells is ~5# or less. Something is fishy with this one or the one you were previously using.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    More and more I rely on how I look in the mirror and how my clothes fit. Both of those things make me really happy, and as time passes, the scale has less and less hold on me. It's a journey when you're used to weighing every day like I was, but man, it's so nice to be free of that nonsense.
    THIS. The scale can fluctuate so much. Drink 8 oz of water, and you gain 8 oz on the scale. While it may be a tool to HELP monitor your progress, you're much better off with the mirror and how your clothes fit as well as your fitness level, how you physically feel, and how you physically look as better gauges of success.

A.C.E. Certified Personal & Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
    Here is an article I submitted a while back on the scale:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/350212--why-scales-lie?hl="why+scales&amp;page=1#posts-4730712

Read and enjoy

A.C.E. Certified Personal & Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • meljaniya
    meljaniya Posts: 22
    Options
    I feel ya. I stepped on the scale this morning hoping to be in the 134s and was 137. FU scale.

@FU scale

:laugh:
  • V44V
    V44V Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I am not a religious man, but amen...