P90X versus Insanity..

Options
Hey everyone, I've heard about P90X and it's program, but I have just recently been told about Insanity.. My question is, which one of the two are people using? Whats the difference? Is there one that's more preferred over the other? My main goal is to lose weight but I'd like to tone as well, and I'm interested in doing one of the two programs. Any insight from anyone would be awesome. :)

Replies

• CMomma23
    CMomma23 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    They are both great programs!

P90X requires weights a pull up bar, and/or resistance bands. P90x is really good if you enjoy weight lifting combined with cardio.

However, Insanity is complete cardio and body resistance. I just completed my first month of Insanity, on rest week this week, and start Month 2 tomorrow. I enjoy it alot and I'm seeing some really good results and I actually enjoy the workouts. I thought I would hate it, but it's actually kind of fun.

I would youtube some videos just to get an idea of what both are like and see which would be the best fit for you.

(Also, if you like to dance things up a little, there is another beachbody program called TurboFire, it is AMAZINGLY fun stuff)
  • _HeathBar_
    _HeathBar_ Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of the Beachbody workouts, I'm not a coach or anything so this is an totally unbias assessment. I currently have P()X, Insanity and TurboFire.

P90X is a general fitness program, you do some cardio (not very intense) and weights. It will get you in good shape but it's not the best for losing weight.

Insanity is an intense cardio program that uses plyometrics (jumping) and calisthenics (body weight exercises). It will get your heart rate through the roof and it does a good job of toning up too. You won't get ripped but you will definitely get stronger. I think Insanity is a better program for weight loss.

I also got TurboFire last week, I've been having a lot of fun with it. Learning the moves has been a little frustrating since I'm very uncoordinated but after doing the same DVD 3 times I have it down now. The HIIT workouts are my favorite, they are super fun and challenging. This is also a good program for weight loss since it's mostly cardio based.
  • joankpoirier
    joankpoirier Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I personally like P90X but have team mates that use Insanity and love
  • AimeeLynn90
    Options
    Thanks for the insight guys!
  • BryGuy2
    BryGuy2 Posts: 244
    Options
    To me, Insanity is a little more intense than p90x. Insanity has a lot more cardio training from what i've seen, but also has shorter breaks in between sets. I completed one round of p90x and it concentrates on some weight/strenght training and some cardio. You can lose weight with the program, and bulk up later on. I used it mainly for losing weight, but didnt do the classic version. I added more cardio to help lose fat faster. I tried Insanity: Asylum once and it literally kicked my butt. It was a ton of cardio with some strength training in there as well. I think Insanity would help lose weight faster, but its too intense for me right now haha! I want to finish p90x and get back in shape before I go to Insanity..
  • kvissy
    kvissy Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I'm an Insanity and Insanity Asylum user. Love Insanity part 1 SO much better though. It built up my strength and endurance and also helped me drop 40lb!

Sidenote: Shaun T is teaching an Insanity class in the NJ area on 5/4. Of course I'm going b/c I'm obsessed w/ him and what he did for me!!

http://www.crystalgolfresort.com/SportsClub/MineralsFitnessExpo.aspx
  • Fit4Evolution
    Fit4Evolution Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    They are both great programs!

P90X requires weights a pull up bar, and/or resistance bands. P90x is really good if you enjoy weight lifting combined with cardio.

However, Insanity is complete cardio and body resistance. I just completed my first month of Insanity, on rest week this week, and start Month 2 tomorrow. I enjoy it alot and I'm seeing some really good results and I actually enjoy the workouts. I thought I would hate it, but it's actually kind of fun.

I would youtube some videos just to get an idea of what both are like and see which would be the best fit for you.

(Also, if you like to dance things up a little, there is another beachbody program called TurboFire, it is AMAZINGLY fun stuff)

Totally Agree!
  • wxchaser
    wxchaser Posts: 178
    Options
    I found this on WikiHow the other week and I think it might help you decide which one is best for you:

http://www.wikihow.com/Decide-if-P90X-or-Insanity-Is-Better-for-You
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I tried P90x, but was NOT impressed. Way too much yoga and the cardio was weak sauce. I live in the mountains, and going for a walk near my house is more challenging and burns more calories than any of the P90X cardio! The strength and core work in P90X is solid, but in the end, I decided Tony Horton is just not my cup of tea, so I didn't finish the program.

I'm waiting to borrow Insanity from my husband's co-worker. It looks like challenging cardio and definitely more up my alley!
  • lauristewart
    lauristewart Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I have done both programs and agree with the others....I did p90x for 5 weeks and didn't lose a lb. Was very frustrated......once I started Insanity, the weight loss kicked in! I am the smallest I have been my whole adult life and now also workout with Asylum. I would suggest Insanity first then graduate to Asylum....Insanity is intense cardio and it really gets you in shape!!! Good luck!!
  • Skeels
    Skeels Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Insanity The Asylum is the way to go
  • sandy_taylor13
    sandy_taylor13 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    If you have the time, I personally recommend doing both. I do Insanity in the morning and then P90X at night when I get home from work with my husband. This way I get my cardio going in the morning with Shawn T and then my strength with Tony Horton at night. From my own experience with both programs I love both. Which ever one you go with, you wont be disappointed if you Bring It!
  • Lane1012
    Lane1012 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    P90X = overall body toning, strengthening
    Insanity = intense cardio burn

Not to oversimplify but basically that's it. I lost 23 pounds doing P90X the first time and it changed my body.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I have done P90X, Chalean Extreme and P90X2.

I think X2 is by far my favorite. If you are looking to cut fat though, then a program that has more strength training (weight lifting) will provide slightly better results. I have also know people who did both and said they lost strength doing insanity and went back to P90X. Below is some interesting information confirms that WT is better for fat loss. I will say, I don't think you can lose either way. I am not a BB coach either, but love those programs.

http://www.metaboliceffect.com/topic/38-nutrition-lifestyle.aspx
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    I have turbofire for over a year, love it.

would choose p90x as i like weight lifting

then move to insanity, more for fun
  • amysol
    amysol Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I hear really p90x is the best. I personally lost my weight so far with the 90 Day Challenge. I don't do p90x...I work out a couple days at the gym but mostly am losing from the 90 Day Challenge.
  • sawyermark
    sawyermark Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    What ever happened to Tae Bo? 8-)
  • mariobadr
    mariobadr Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I tried P90x, but was NOT impressed. Way too much yoga and the cardio was weak sauce. I live in the mountains, and going for a walk near my house is more challenging and burns more calories than any of the P90X cardio! The strength and core work in P90X is solid, but in the end, I decided Tony Horton is just not my cup of tea, so I didn't finish the program.

I'm waiting to borrow Insanity from my husband's co-worker. It looks like challenging cardio and definitely more up my alley!

If you're going to have both, try a P90X-Insanity hybrid workout. It'll give you the cardio you're looking for and a decently toned upper body thanks to all the pull ups :)
  • Timarling
    Timarling Posts: 80
    Options
    So my fiance and I just finished a full round of P90x. As a guy I found huge strength gains and visible physique improvement. She lost 12 lbs and continue to receive compliments, although feels that she didn't seem to notice where those pounds melted from. That said, for both of us our pants seem to fall around us (time to go shopping!). She is now starting a pure Insanity routine and I'm doing P90x strength and yoga with cardio replaced by Insanity. As everyone else has said, I'm sure you'll notice improvements doing either one.

Assuming you finish one, just do the other. There are many 60-90 day blocks in your life, and if you only repeat the same thing for the rest of your life you'll go crazy. If you do one routine and then quit when it's done you'll end up lazy and fat so...just do both eventually.