Protein powder ?

Options
crazydv
crazydv Posts: 183 Member
I have never used this product before but would like to give it a try

If I purchase a vanilla and add fruit, does it just taste like the fruit? Is it really thick like a smoothie or is it more like a milk shake?

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Cris

Replies

• soonernick
    soonernick Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Start by buying small containers! A lot of them are nasty and you don't want a 5 pound jar of it. I use Gaspari nutrition pro-biotics. I don't put fruit in mine but it is drinkable and fits my needs.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    We use the Cytosport Whey protein powder(chocolate) and it is AWESOME. I make it with unsweetened almond milk. I also add some berries from time to time.

I was drinking the premier nutrition protein shake with soy, I like this one much better.
  • crazydv
    Options
    Do you buy protein powder at a health food store or the grocery store?

Thanks for the tip on buying small jars to start!
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    I really like the pure protein chocolate powder mix. (25g protein and 140 calories). It is low in sugar too. It mixes pretty good with just a spoon and a glass!
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options

I get it at costco because it is way cheaper than the health food store. As for the consistency, it is going to be according to what you put in it as to how thick it is. If you just use a regular liquid, it is going to be just a little thicker than that liquid. If you add frozen fruit or ice, you will have more of a milkshake effect. If you add regular fruit, it will be more like a smoothie.
  • crazydv
    Options

I get it at costco because it is way cheaper than the health food store. As for the consistency, it is going to be according to what you put in it as to how thick it is. If you just use a regular liquid, it is going to be just a little thicker than that liquid. If you add frozen fruit or ice, you will have more of a milkshake effect. If you add regular fruit, it will be more like a smoothie.
  • crazydv
    Options
    Thanks...I understand now :D
  • lunamare
    lunamare Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I was just talking to the guy I sit next to about this. I use the EAS Lean 15 powder in both chocolate and vanilla. When I mix it with fruit you can definitely taste the flavor of it. If I use frozen fruit it comes out thicker than if I use fresh, but either way it does thicken up like a smoothie/milk shake. I put either almond milk or if I'm out of it cow's milk in with mine. I'm not a fan of just water. The vanilla with banana, strawberries and OJ is good too, sort of like a creamsicle.
  • crazydv
    Options
    I have never liked any powders that are mixed with water or milk, although I have never tried a protein powder I was assuming it would be the same. That is why I wanted to mix with fruit. Thanks for your help
  • s0ready
    s0ready Posts: 99
    Options
    i buy mine at Walmart (fortress) for $15 for big tub of it! You can mix with water, milk, whatever you perfer....i usually add mine in a smoothie for extra calories and protein. Otherwise i just mix with water or if i know i need to add more calories i will add milk. Its not a thicker drink so to say...more kinda "frothy" if thats a word
  • ekwood221
    ekwood221 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    hi ive tried a few different types. walmart,gnc,pureprotien. but imo syntha 6 is the best.. using chocolate cake batter right now.. strawberry milk shake is also bomb. and it good with water.. and really good with milk.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Which is the nicest in the uk? X
  • crazydv
    Options
    MFP people are just the nicest...thank you all

I really, really need to bump up my calories and hope this is going to help! I'm not really hungry. I just have been eating WAY to little for the way I workout now

Thanks again!