Ladies...P90X?

Options
I really love the idea of a 90 day plan to keep me focused and motivated daily so i'm thinking about starting the P90X program.

I don't know any girls who have completed P90X but i know several who have tried it and gave up because it was too hard. That discourages me a little bit.

I did insanity for a week. I was not a huge fan because I want more variety. I think I would like P90x because supposedly, you do different things every day? I hope? I want a challenge/variety. I am looking to loose 15 lbs and be fit and toned. Right now i'm a little overweight and weak. I'd love to be strong instead of flabby. Not looking to be a huge, muscle woman.

Any success stories, photos or advice would be wonderful.

Thanks girls!

Replies

• 86_Ohms
    86_Ohms Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I'm a guy but I've looked at the P90X videos. There are variations to what each exercise with usually one doing a "toned-down" version, one a normal, and one with an advance form for more resistance.

That being said, P90X is for those who are already fairly fit (have had some time to train a little muscle with weight).

If you feel fairly weak now, you may want to do some weight training/sit ups/squats before you attempt P90X. Not only will the videos throw a fairly intense work out, but if you feel like you're not ready for it, you might waste money by getting burned out way early in the 90 day process. And that's no bueno.
  • 86_Ohms
    86_Ohms Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Oh, and Tony Horton, the loud energetic creator of the P90X system has older videos that aren't so intense.

I believe the names of them are: "Tony Horton's Power Half Hour" and different videos for working different muscles. Check them out online.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I did P90X successfully, and completed P90X2. I enjoyed both programs, but I also liked Insanity too. You don't really do different things every day - you do a different video a day for 7 days, then repeat for 30 days - take a recovery week - and do a different set the next 30 days, a different one everyday for 7 days, repeating - then you take the first set for 2 weeks and last set for 2 weeks. It was enough variety for me.

I didn't lose weight, I lost inches and body fat.
  • ATLMel
    ATLMel Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I did P90X while on deployment. Awesome way to pass the time.

I def agree that you need some level of fitness to get through the 90 days but I don't think it is insanely difficult. I love the challenge and still throw in the yoga video about once a week if I can't get to my class at my yoga studio. I say go for it. You can get it on ebay for a pretty good discount off the sticker price.
  • FitMama2013
    FitMama2013 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I loved P90X - it gives great variety. The cardio isn't nearly as hard as Insanity though...I am doing Insanity now and plan a hybrid program afterwards. The strength training in P90X is awesome - I pushed a bit too hard and injured my elbow, though, so just be smart about it. It's not too hard so long as you are realistic about what you can and cannot do!
  • legrangetackett
    legrangetackett Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone!

I'm fairly in shape so i should be okay as long as i'm realistic.

Good for you - better to loose body fat and inches rather than weight!
  • CALake
    CALake Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I love P90X. As another poster said, you can modify every move to make it work with what you're capable of. The cardio routines aren't nearly as fast paced as Insanity, but the weight routines are great. Stick with it and you'll see great results.