A Tattoo for constant, permanant Motivation...

Options
13»

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Don't get this one.

3409.gif
    Havana seriously! That could be seen as a white Supremacist symbol!! Please research your tattoo!

This doesn't look like a Swastika to me, but it is a very odd shaped symbol to me.

It's the basis for the symbol used by the SS, actually.

Please refer to my post...where I say that Nazi's coopted occult symbols. It may have been used by the SS but it's not inherently racist. That's like saying stars are inherently american because they are on the american flag.

which is not to say I don't think people ought to know the nazi connection!!! But i'm just saying that it's not *just* a nazi symbol...and not even ORIGINALLY a nazi symbol.

Neither is particular style 'stache. They are both so far entrenched, now.
  • darkling_glory
    darkling_glory Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Hey there!

So for awhile now I have been considering getting another tattoo. This one for the the inside of my left wrist. I am looking for something to represent personal strength. Something that will always remind me how strong I am and how important it is to put myself and my dreams and goals first. And how much pain I went through for the tattoo to help remember where I come from and why I put the tattoo on my body to see in the first place.

But I can't seem to find a symbol to represent this. Does anyone have any suggestions? I don't want some silly Chinese symbol. I thought about my Gemini Symbol, But I don't associate that with my constant inner power. make sense?

Here is a picture of what I have on my wrist. It means a lot of different things to me, but I love that it's a reminder that I can see every single day.

carmtattoo-1-1.jpg

If you want something that signifies strength then just look to your first post. You can do something that signifies your dreams or your goals. Or something that signifies your inner-self. Google fonts and see if a script really appeals to you - the word STRENGTH just written in a beautiful way might be enough.

I am considering getting the word INTENTION on my right wrist as a reminder that no one is perfect and that intention is what matters most. It would also serve to remind me to make my decisions with intention and calm and not irrationally.

Hope this helps!
  • afwatson15
    afwatson15 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    In summary of this thread, I submit the following.

Tattoo whatever you want, and you may or may not be a racist nazi.

I think that is a very succinct and clear response to your original question.
  • msunluckythirteen
    msunluckythirteen Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I'm getting "Fighter" in cursive writing on my inner right wrist once my divorce is final. It symbolizes what I went through and how far I have come. It will also be a reminder to keep fighting for what I want including my health.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Don't get this one.

3409.gif
    Havana seriously! That could be seen as a white Supremacist symbol!! Please research your tattoo!
    Not if you get it on your forehead :)
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Don't get this one.

3409.gif

This doesn't look like a Swastika to me, but it is a very odd shaped symbol to me.

Please refer to my post...where I say that Nazi's coopted occult symbols. It may have been used by the SS but it's not inherently racist. That's like saying stars are inherently american because they are on the american flag.

which is not to say I don't think people ought to know the nazi connection!!! But i'm just saying that it's not *just* a nazi symbol...and not even ORIGINALLY a nazi symbol.

Neither is particular style 'stache. They are both so far entrenched, now.

I'm sorry. Maybe the coffee hasn't kicked in yet, but I don't get what you are saying.

I get the "entrenched" part, and I don't completely disagree...but on some level it bugs me that we collectively allow the nazi's to tell us that this symbol is evil when it has meant so many good things to so may for so long:

ganesh.jpg
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options

I get the "entrenched" part, and I don't completely disagree...but on some level it bugs me that we collectively allow the nazi's to tell us that this symbol is evil when it has meant so many good things to so may for so long:

I completely agree with the sentiment. Having to explain that you've got the 'good' swastika on your wrist to basically everybody just seems so tiresome, though.
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    Options

I completely agree with the sentiment. Having to explain that you've got the 'good' swastika on your wrist to basically everybody just seems so tiresome, though.

oh hell yeah! I concur! I'm not saying "do it" i'm just saying don't assume everyone you see with these symbols is invoking racism and not something more ancient and awesome! The folks who do this are dedicated to speaking out about the symbols (there is some guy who is COVERED in swastikas, but he writes books and tours and talks about it all the time). I certianly wouldn't do it...but I do have ancient symbols and if one of my symbols were coopted by white supremacists (like Odin's rune), i'd be pretty bummed if everyone assumed I was a racist rather than recognize the symbol meant something else originally.
  • 2012asv
    2012asv Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    If "I" were to ever get a tattoo it would be:

"Strength of will" in Arabic scripture... I didn't know this, but Angelina Jolie has that on her forearm, go figure.
  • afwatson15
    afwatson15 Posts: 39 Member
    Options

oh hell yeah! I concur! I'm not saying "do it" i'm just saying don't assume everyone you see with these symbols is invoking racism and not something more ancient and awesome! The folks who do this are dedicated to speaking out about the symbols (there is some guy who is COVERED in swastikas, but he writes books and tours and talks about it all the time). I certianly wouldn't do it...but I do have ancient symbols and if one of my symbols were coopted by white supremacists (like Odin's rune), i'd be pretty bummed if everyone assumed I was a racist rather than recognize the symbol meant something else originally.

You're a better person than me. If I see somebody with a swastika tattoo, they are forever and irrevocably emblazoned as a nazi in my mind. Sorry.
  • Mina133842
    Mina133842 Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
  • dinovino_59
    dinovino_59 Posts: 1,700
    Options
    Native American and Celtic custom regard Wolf as the way of find the deepest levels of self, of inner knowing and intuition.
  • elsalily
    elsalily Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of the infinity symbol on the wrist. I find it beautiful, and it can be done relatively small so it would fit there, it's rather discreet too.
    So of course it doesn't mean strenght exactly, but you could look at it as infinite strenght :)
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    Options

You're a better person than me. If I see somebody with a swastika tattoo, they are forever and irrevocably emblazoned as a nazi in my mind. Sorry.

Perhaps I just don't have a eurocentric view of the world. I certainly would be suspicious of someone with it, and would likely have to look at what other tats they have. I would consider a lot of factors. I've actually been assautled by nazi's before, so I actually find it funny that I'm the one defending the swastika tattoo as being more than a racist symbol!
  • NikkiPsuedoDupuis
    NikkiPsuedoDupuis Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Don't get this one.

3409.gif

Actually I'm a Signaller in the CF and the lightning bolt is the symbol of the Communications Branch lol
  • LordBezoar
    LordBezoar Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Don't get this one.

3409.gif

I see your point there. Though, it definitely bothers me that people immediately associate this and the swastika with white supremacy/nazi-ism. They are ancient symbols and were around LONG before some crazed jacka$$ decided to co-opt them. In any event, if I were to get a tattoo, this would be it:

fma__flamel__s_cross_by_coocookat-d31apq9.jpg

Specifically because of the multiple meanings. It is used in one of my favorite manga/anime, but it is actually full of symbolism. It is a modified Flamel's Cross. The crown symbolizes the successful completion of an alchemical operation or the achievement of a magisterium. It also signifies chemical royalty or the perfection of a metal. The wings refer to the final step in the creation of a Philosopher's Stone. And there some debate on the cross & snake, but one of the most popular theories is that it is a nod to the Caduceus and a symbol for Health and well being.