Still losing in maintenance mode

Options
ambeer2
ambeer2 Posts: 66 Member
This seems like a not-so-big problem to have, but I reached my goal weight two weeks ago, and my calories shot up to 1,890 daily in maintenance mode. I had been used to eating around 1,500 calories a day for six months, so I'm having a hard time finding 400 extra calories each day to eat. Maybe I'm not used to it yet, but I just don't want to go below 145 pounds (I'm a little over 5'10", medium-framed). I also am a runner, and on days I workout, that problem increases even more, and I find I'm not very hungry but still eat anyway to try to eat back most of my exercise calories. I don't want to lose any more weight, but I've already lost an additional two pounds past my goal weight — even though I've just taken a two-week break from exercise. Can I trick my body into wanting to eat more ... ?

A little background: I am a pescatarian, and while I do enjoy adult beverages, I'd prefer filling up with food instead of booze, just for health reasons.

Replies

• withervein
    withervein Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Add a bit more olive oil when you cook. Snack on nuts. If I don't watch myself I can eat 600 calories of honey roasted peanuts in a matter of minutes.
  • mollydubs
    mollydubs Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Having the exact same problem. Met my goal, love running, appetite has totally shrunk, my outlook on food has shrunk, changed to maintenance, and I'm still losing. I'm also a vegetarian who does a 1-meal-a-week fish something. It is so hard to maintain once your body changes!

(the moral of this story is that I have no advice but I agree, it is a tricky sort-of-not-problem thing to deal with.)
  • ambeer2
    ambeer2 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Thanks, mollydubs. I was starting to feel like a jerk for complaining about it, but glad to see someone else is having the same issues (and noticing them as issues and trying to do something positive about it). I also generally eat fish only about once a week, so I guess I eat mostly veg.

I usually do use a bit of olive oil when I cook, but I also eat a lot of fresh vegetables and sandwiches, etc. Whatever is easiest for work. And I eat a serving of raw almonds every single workday. Sometimes on weekends.
  • athensguy
    athensguy Posts: 550
    Options
    You can manually modify your goals. Add 250 calories per day and see how you do with that. After another few weeks, you might be able to tell if you need to adjust it more. That's what I've been doing anyway.