MFP calories burned vs the gym equipment

Options
I have noticed a significant difference in the # of calories MFP calculates versus what the gym equipment says. Which is more accurate? I have been using the gym equipment totals...but I don't want to cheat myself...doing more research but I thought I would put this out there and see what others thought..thanks in advance!

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    To add to the confusion - get a heart rate monitor. Get one with the chest strap, set it up properly (age, height, weight etc and that should give you the most accurate calories burned. (Generally I've found MFPs numbers to be reasonably close to my HRM)
  • bjfrezell
    bjfrezell Posts: 241
    Options
    I don't trust the gym equipment. I have a heart rate monitor to track how many calories I'm burning. MFP is closer to what my heart rate monitor says, but it's still off. While my heart rate monitor may be off a little, it's no where near as off as the gym equipment.
  • btm03
    btm03 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I just posted something yesterday regarding this. My treadmill states I burn like 2000 calories when I exercise then when I type it in to MFP it says about 200. From the responses I received, I would go with this website over the gym equipment. That way, like you said, you're not cheating yourself!
  • shonuff221
    shonuff221 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input! Any specific brand HRM?