New cyclist here!

Options
So, I have cycled before and when I was a lot younger, I was quite into cycling with my father. He has moved to France now and I want to get back into it alone. I'm a bit worried though about the traffic and also, I am worried about committing massive faux pas', like those mentioned in the 'Bikers' thread.

Has anyone got any advice to get me started? :D

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I'm in the States so I'm sure our rules vary from yours. No matter where I cycle (I've done so thru most of the US, much of Canada, and across Ireland) I find out what the local regulations are. Generally speaking... Ride in the direction of traffic, use hand signals, be courteous, and decide quickly what sort of crossing you plan on doing (in most areas you can either make your left turns and go thru intersections with traffic or in pedestrian walkways).

When I first start road riding in a new locale, I just go out for a short ride first to see how familiar drivers are with cyclists. Where I live (near Chicago) people are pretty kind and relaxed towards bikers. Last summer I was in Cape Cod and the locals seem to HATE cyclists, so I knew I had to have my guard up while on the roads.

Maybe consider checking out a local cycling club, if you have one nearby. I've never joined but they often host invitational group rides and are a wealth of information. Happy riding!
  • Vickyloo
    Vickyloo Posts: 13
    Options
    A cycling club sounds like a fab idea. I hadn't thought of that. It's definitely something I'll look into! Hopefully it'll increase my confidence a bit too. :) Thanks Lisapr123!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Surviving in traffic requires a couple of things (on top of the occasional dose of luck):

1) Be seen - I tend to wear very bright clothing when riding, I also ride with a blinking led white light to the front and flashing red led on the back of the bike. The lights are cheap (the Planet Bike Blaze 2w LED is under $35 in Canada and their SuperFlash rear light about $19) and standout even in full sunlight.

2) Follow the rules of the road. A bicycle is, in most places, considered a vehicle and cyclists are expected to observe and obey traffic laws the same as any other vehicle on the road, which includes signalling turns, stopping at stop signs etc - be predictable.

3) Ride defensively - don't use your mp3 player while riding (your ears provide you with a great deal of sensory input about your surroundings), watch for cars backing out of driveways, while passing a row of parked cars be cautious - too many drivers don't signal their intention to pull out from the curb. Wear your helmet.

I think the idea of joining a cycling club is a great suggestion, many of them offer refresher learn to ride programs, tips on bike maintenance and organized events for riders of all levels. Last, but not least, buy the right kind of bike for your riding (a mountain bike with knobbly fat tires is perfect for riding trails but takes more energy to ride on a paved surface than a commuter or road bike) and have it fitted properly.
  • Vickyloo
    Vickyloo Posts: 13
    Options
    Thanks Brian, that is some fantastic advice! I'm hard of hearing so my ears won't help much lol but the other things are definitely things to take into consideration. As I don't drive, I think I need to swot up on the rules of the road a little just to get me going. I think though getting into it and gaining experience is the only real way I'm going to gain confidence! I'm going to start cycling to work, which is only a 15 minute walk away. That way, I'll get regular little trips that I can build up with time. :D