Ladies: Hungry during TOM?

Options
Ladies,

Do y'all get hungrier than normal during your time of the month? Cravings aside (because we all know those are HELL), I notice that even if I try to eat healthy and eat my scheduled food like normal, I get hungrier and am physically not satisfied. Does that happen to any one else? Do you know why?

Replies

• jenna_laurelle
    jenna_laurelle Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    i get sugar cravings, not nessarily hunger. I eat dessert like everynight during that time, its a stupid excuse i use to justify all the extra sugar
  • janorris82
    Options
    I get terrible chocolate cravings! If I have any chocolate in the house, don't put it past me to eat 500-800 calories in that. Awful I know! But I just have to go work my a** off after!
  • ans08a
    ans08a Posts: 2
    Options
    YES it's my TOM right now and I feel like a bottomless pit. Meals that will usually keep me full for hours have my stomach growling after 30 minutes. It's so frustrating! Not to mention that it's twice as hard to want to workout when youre cramping and bloated.
  • CallieM15
    CallieM15 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I want to say that right before your period hits, you burn more calories... So it makes sense to be a little hungrier then.

Im always feeling hungrier during my TOM though. My issue is I lack in Iron already, which makes me moody and fatigue which I think I link to hunger.
  • Abigaillee15
    Options
    YES it's my TOM right now and I feel like a bottomless pit. Meals that will usually keep me full for hours have my stomach growling after 30 minutes. It's so frustrating! Not to mention that it's twice as hard to want to workout when youre cramping and bloated.

YES! Normally a handful of almonds can last me until dinner time. But I had a banana, almonds, and trail mix for my afternoon snack and I feel like I could eat more. I don't know if I can wait until dinner. It's horrible. Does anyone know why this is?!
  • SWEETS1234
    SWEETS1234 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Yes always just before my TOM I become a bottomless pit.
  • mester09
    mester09 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Not during but always the week before.
  • CollisionofNova
    Options
    I think it's natural. Your body is about to do some serious work and it wants extra fuel. I think if you snack sensibly, it's okay to go over your calorie limit just a bit. An extra 200-300 calories won't kill you.
  • kalynn06
    kalynn06 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Yes! If I eat about maintenance the day before and the first day , I don't worry. The alternative is to to cave and eat anything in my path. I also keep an eye on my iron and get plenty of water. I have historically had problems with iron deficiency around that time, for obvious reasons, and low iron really sends my appetite out of control.
  • FitSuga
    FitSuga Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Yes, I'm having this problem right now! Apparently today my stomach is Incapable of being full or satisfied. Very frustrating. It's not even just wanting treats I literally feel hungry.
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    least im not the only one who wants to shovel anything and everything in my mouth the week before TOM. DD is the same, and since we're sync'd, its really bad that week. Hubby always 'has to work over' and is more than willing to run out and get us craving food, which probably doesnt help my weight any....because i could eat a full meal from taco bell, and an hour later a full one from mcdonalds and then a 1/2 gallon of ice cream
  • Alexia_E_K
    Alexia_E_K Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Yes! I crave sweet food like crazy. I found a great recipe to help with my cravings. Chocolate Chip Clouds. I would leave them in a bag over night. They taste way better the next day.

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/11/chocolate-chip-clouds.html
  • mysterylover
    mysterylover Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am ravenous during the first few days. Almost the same as when I was breastfeeding lol. I usually want sweet then salt. This past month I joked that if I had a salt block, I would stand there and lick it.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I don't think I get hungrier or have cravings during my TOM.... I also never have had issues with cramps. I think I'm lucky lol.
  • Kebby83
    Kebby83 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I gorged on pizza last night, and I am a 1200/day kinda girl. Mmm, pizza fixed it.
  • Jade17694
    Jade17694 Posts: 584 Member
    Options

You took the words right out of my mouth :bigsmile:

Quite often i have to literally force myself to stay in the room im in and not go in the kitchen because i'll just continuously eat - im never full when its my TOTM
  • violetfrosts
    Options
    I always get ravenous a couple of days before, then I usually lose my appetite or get really bloated when it starts. It's so much hassle because my sugar cravings go off the chart -_-
  • saverys_gal
    saverys_gal Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately yes...I can just keep eating. Normally hits the week before TOM and goes away a day or so after I start. My hubs just sits back and watches with amazement at how much food I can cram in me at that time. Going thru it now and am HATING it!!!!!! :angry:
  • SweetSammie
    SweetSammie Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    YES, but I have noticed that if I focus on making sure I eat enough iron, I don't crave as much. Discovered this when my Doctor discovered I was borderline anemic. Since we are trying to get pregnant, I am taking a prenatal vitamin, plus I try to make sure to eat higher iron food during TOM. I also budget in a Ghiradelli 60% cocoa chocolate square DAILY... it has helped with the desire to eat the entire pantry. I actually stayed under every day during this month's TOM.