What's a good 5K time?

Options
I have never done a 5K race but have done them on the treadmill. The last one I did took me 35 minutes.

I know everyone is different so I know I shouldn't compare myself to others but is 35 minutes a decent time? I just have absolutely no idea what a realistic goal should be.

Replies

• Gogo
    Gogo Posts: 9,942 Member
    Options
    Well, a 5k is approx 3 miles, so when you break that down it is about 11.5 mins per mile......I'd say that is a really decent time!!:drinker: I am still working my way up to being able to do one mile. :grumble:

Great Job and keep up the good work!
  • jacqueline0821
    jacqueline0821 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I think that is a really good time. I ran a 5K back in July and it took me 38 minutes.
  • s_sanchez
    Options
    I have heard 30 min is good, 10 min/mile is a nice steady pace. 35 min is definately a decent time.
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Yeah. Pleanty of seasoned runners go in with a goal of a 10 minute mile, so an 11 minute mile for a first timer sounds pretty super to me. :smile:
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    I think it sounds good - that's what I am shooting for with my first 5k in October.
  • fitzfour
    fitzfour Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    I did my 1st 5k in July and did it in 29 minutes. However, I am short and was running with my much taller sis in law, so I had to really push it to keep up with her. I'd say if I ran it on my own I'd have been closer to 35 min.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    I recently started training for a 5K but 35 minutes sounds good to me. By the time I get around to being able to run one, it'll probably take me 3 hours as slow as I'm running so far. :laugh: :laugh: