I hate vegatables!

Options
jgilbey
jgilbey Posts: 79
I do! I hate them.. But I want to "clean up" the way I eat, along with my family. Our meals rarely are colorful. The 'veggies' I like are : Corn & Potatoes & occasionally Tomatos.. I like more fruits but not a whole lot. I like Strawberries, grapes, apples & Bananas.

Some normal meals for us are Spaghetti & Meatballs, BBQ Chicken & potatoes, Tacos (tom,cheese, meat) & Rice.

I can try to health-ify these with low fats, wheats, etc. But I'd really like to incorp. more nutrients into our lives.

Whats your tips, thoughts, or suggestions??

Replies

• renatzc
    renatzc Posts: 1
    Options
    If you don't like vegetables it will be really hard to add more nutrients to your diet. But, I find it difficult to believe that you really don't like all vegetables. Have you tried them all? How about cooking them in different ways? Also, frozen and canned vegetables are not nearly as tasty as the fresh version so try cooking fresh vegetables instead and see if that makes a difference. Look for vegetable recipes online that have a lot of spices/garlic, that might help you develop a taste for veggies as well.

With that said, you can try adding "sneeky" vegetables. This is something friends of mine do who have picky children. You can add fresh spinach to your marinara sauce or shredded carrots to your meatballs. That way your brian doesn't think "yuck I'm eating vegetables" but you are still getting more nutrients. Do you like sweet potatoes? Because those are better for you in some ways then plain old russets.
  • miss_september
    Options
    First of all, potatoes and corn are not vegetables--they are both starches--not trying to be rude or anything, but considering them vegetables is a very common misconception. They are not bad, or unhealthy (except maybe french fries or corn smothered in equal-parts butter, but that is besides the point), in fact, they do have plenty of nutritional benefit--just consider them the "starch" portion of your dinner, not the veggie portion.

That said, sometimes including veggies in your other foods can be a helpful way to cover the taste. For example, add some tiny-diced peppers or grated carrots or squash to your meatballs when you make them (and if you don't make your meatballs from scratch, try it out =-)). Buy veggie pasta instead of regular (my cousin does this to increase her kid's intake of veggies)--and many kids find the colors to be a lot of fun. Adding things like squash to spaghetti sauce can be yummy as well-you still mostly taste the sauce, and they add a lot of nutrition. Try mixing a little bit of shredded spinach to your shredded lettuce in your tacos, and salsa can be quite a pack of veggies too (if your family doesn't do spicy, buy the mild, or make your own pico de gallo style). If you have a food-processor, you can always blend up veggies to add to sauces, soups, etc.

Just somet thoughts--it can be easy to disguise the flavor of veggies and even the appearance, and sometimes that is all it takes to add them =-).
  • nosey_rosey
    nosey_rosey Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I dislike most veggies also! I bought a juicer and started to toss some in with fruits and I love it!!
  • Gosser
    Gosser Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Puree veg to add to the sauce of your dishes.

I'm pescatarian ( a vegetarian who eats fish) and even I don't like piles of veg on my plate. Veg combined in dishes is much nicer :happy:
  • Mira710
    Mira710 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Add spinach to a protein shake. You won't be able to taste it.
  • lax75
    lax75 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    If you don't like vegetables it will be really hard to add more nutrients to your diet. But, I find it difficult to believe that you really don't like all vegetables. Have you tried them all? How about cooking them in different ways? Also, frozen and canned vegetables are not nearly as tasty as the fresh version so try cooking fresh vegetables instead and see if that makes a difference. Look for vegetable recipes online that have a lot of spices/garlic, that might help you develop a taste for veggies as well.

With that said, you can try adding "sneeky" vegetables. This is something friends of mine do who have picky children. You can add fresh spinach to your marinara sauce or shredded carrots to your meatballs. That way your brian doesn't think "yuck I'm eating vegetables" but you are still getting more nutrients. Do you like sweet potatoes? Because those are better for you in some ways then plain old russets.

Agreed on all points, except that I think many frozen veg. taste almost as good as fresh and can certainly be a lot easier and less wasteful. But that's a matter of preference, and what's available in your area, time of year, etc. I think a lot of people who say they don't like veggies have been served too many watery plain overcooked ones. So try raw crunchy ones, add the seasonings, etc. In addition to checking online for recipes, check your library for a vegetable cookbook - there's a big one with international veggie recipes - I found lots of things in there to try with interesting spice combinations.

Some specific ideas - I don't like peas when they're the only thing on my fork, but thrown into a curry or mixed with brown rice they don't bother me. Or try adding to the peas some chopped onions sauteed in a little olive oil with pine nuts and rosemary. Roasting works for almost any fresh vegetable (I've never tried roastin a frozen one) - use olive oil for healthy fat and if you like garlic, throw that on as well, or nuts, to liven the flavor up even more. (My son never ate green beans until I made green beans roasted with red onions and cashews.) If you like tomatoes, try mixing a can of diced tomatoes with sauteed sliced zucchini and carrots. (This is really good leftover as well, not always the case for vegetables.) Throw them into an omelet - especially if there's a little parm cheese in the omelet that flavor will dominate over the veggie taste. And try soups - either ones that are mainly vegetables, or instead of putting noodles or rice into chicken soup, put vegetables - you'll only taste the chicken broth. Add pumpkin pie spice to winter squash and it tastes an awful lot like the pie without the crust!!

For the fruit, make a fruit salad starting with a couple of things you know you like, and adding one "new" type - cut up bananas and strawberries and then throw in some blueberries. Make smoothies with fat free yogurt and a cup of whatever - either fresh or frozen.

I read somewhere (here?) about a woman who was trying to get her family to eat more diverse foods - she got one new food each week to try. In her case, she got the kids involved researching foods and picking the new one, but you could do the same thing yourself. If you don't like it - fine - move on to something new the next week. Also, even if there are only a few types that you like in the end, being able to prepare each of them in several different ways will make them seem less boring.

Don't give up trying - most people don't like *every*thing (I still can't be in the same room with a Brussel sprout lol), but it's worth experimenting until you find the things you *do* like! Good luck!