Pool Workouts?

Options
My pool is just about ready to rock. I'm looking for some good workouts to do while in the pool. Since this is not a lap pool (only 26' long) I need something intense.

I've thought about using resistance bands in the pool, as well as running back and forth the length of the pool.

Any other tips?

Replies

• CristinaMunoz
    Options
    my grandma used to use empty gallon jugs with the lids and jog in place but hold the jugs in her hands under water pushing them while she ran for resistance. I tried it once, it actually is quite a workout!!
  • maurierose
    maurierose Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    You can put your littlest in a baby-boat (not sure what they have, but my son sits in his and it kinda looks like a boat made out of little innertubes with a seat in the middle) and push her back and forth while you swim (great workout, and keeps your baby in sight)....

You can also do an exercise where you stand shoulder-deep with your arms straight out on the water, and bring your knees to your chest, touch the pool floor, knees to chest, pool floor... no idea what it's called but it wears me out after tons of them and it works your core.

You can hold on to the edge of the pool and do scissors with your legs - the resistance of the water when you open and close your legs as far as they'll go helps with your leg definition.

You can get a swimming buoy (it's a cushion that is shaped kind of like an hourglass) and put it between your thighs while you swim exclusively with your arms - gives your shoulders a workout.

You can also get a kickboard and swim just with your legs....

There are tons more, those are a few I can think of off the top of my head. :happy:

All depends on what you're targeting and what you feel the most comfortable with.

Congrats on your new pool!!! I'm jealous!!! :sick: :bigsmile: We go to our association pool and I get the best workouts in the water. :smile:
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips.
    Yeah, I'm pretty excited to incorporate my pool and workouts together. This fall our local recreation center iss offering deep H2O workouts. I'm signing up for that for sure!
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    another thing you can do in the pool is bicycling.... You use a pool noodle, and straddle it. Sort of like this, only with one noodle instead of 3 :laugh:

YMCA203.jpg

I prefer my noodle higher in the back, but I see some ladies in water aerobics doing it where the noodle is even front and back, and some where it's higher in the front... but you stay in an upright position, like if you were sitting on a bike. And you pedal your legs like crazy. You add in arm movements, pushing the water back to go forwards. When you get to the end of the pool, go backwards, using your arms to push the water forwards. It works your shoulders and legs, and some core too, to balance.
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    you can do push-ups on the edge of the pool. I used to have to do this on the water polo team. Also treading water egg-beater style is good. Hold a lawn chair over your head and use legs only for a variation. Another variation of the egg beaters is to do "intervals" where you rise high out of the water for the hard interval. Have fun w/ the pool!!
  • justmegan
    Options
    I'm glad you asked this question, and even more glad everyone answered! I love to swim and I'm never quite sure how to turn it into a full-blown workout. Believe it or not, I get bored just plain swimming. Thanks again!:flowerforyou:
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    I have a whole long list of pool exercises from when I went to water aerobics this past summer.
    I'll look them up after dinner for you.
    :flowerforyou:
  • AlysaDixon
    Options
    I use the resistance bands in the pool and find that they help me tremendously~~ Let me know if you come up with anymore that are good~~ I have read some really great suggestions and will try those.... Im always looking for more tho~~
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    I did butt kicks, jumping jacks, scissors, and high knee jogging. The butt kicks and scissors gave me a great workout!
    I was reading an article on Gabrielle Reece and she does pool workouts often - she takes 60 pound weights and does jumping squats with them. SOunds like a good one, the heaviest weight I have is 15 pound dumb bells, but you gotta start somewhere.
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I just did an awesome one y'day!! A friend and I really mixed things up. We started w/ 10 straight laps (400 yds) to warm up. Then we used the diving stands at the end to do pullups, (we would swim down, do a set of pullups, then swim back). Then we jumped out of the pool and did a set of pushups, swam back for a set of chinups, back for a different set of pushups, etc. So we were getting in cardio and some resistance. Then we used the kickboard for legs and then used the pullbuoy between our legs for arms. It was awesome!! Much more fun than straight laps!