The P90X System: What It Is

Options
I have posted this article written by a WebMD contributor for informational purposes only. I am only the messenger.

This is one of the best write ups I have seen on 90 day home workout DVD collections. It reviews P90X probably the most popular method of at home training. As a trainer my biggest concern for beginners is that while any program can help with getting you progress, at home workouts cannot verify that in fact you are doing the exercises correctly or that you are working out at the right intensity level for your particular physical fitness condition. Also many programs claim they are suitable for everyone but that simply is not the truth. I have a client who purchased the package, attempted some of the routines and eventually began working with me when they realized they needed one on one assistance and motivation support. There is a big difference to walking into a gym packed with people and feeling their energy and turning on your TV and trying to feel a distant someone's enthusiasm.

Beyond that as the article mentions you will need to purchase additional equipment and of course they also suggest that you use their supplements. As a person becomes more fit they will need to purchase even greater weights to continue to progress and pretty soon you will have quite an expenditure on your hands. In my case I would have to have a complete set of dumbbells probably ranging up to at least 50 pounds. That alone would cost me about $350 plus shipping to get a quality setup like Gold’s Gym Adjustable Dumbbell's and stand not to mention all the other accessories I would need. So do your homework before deciding on what path is really best for you.

The P90X System
By Michael Esco, PhD, CSCS
WebMD Commentary

The P90X System: What It Is
The P90X system is an intense home DVD program that says it can give you a lean, ripped body in 90 days.
But it's not for the faint of heart -- or the very out of shape. Getting fit the P90X way means working out 6-7 days per week, with each workout lasting about 1-1½ hours. And the workouts are so rigorous that you're asked to take a fitness test before ordering the P90X system, to see whether you're up to the challenge.

What exactly is the P90X system? For $119.85 (made in three payments of $39.95 each), you get 12 workout DVDs, a 100-page fitness guide, a 113-page nutrition plan, and a 90-day calendar to track your progress. (You'll need some additional equipment-- a pull-up bar, dumbbells, resistance bands, and an exercise mat.)

The P90X workout system is sold by Beach Body through its web site and via television infomercials. Beach Body offers a 100%, 90-day satisfaction guarantee, though you'll still have to pay shipping costs if you end up returning the P90X system.

The P90X System: How It Works
Each workout is presented in a circuit format, in which you move from exercise to exercise with little rest in between, thus keeping your heart rate up. The strengthening DVDs target certain parts of the body each day: chest and back; then shoulders and arms; legs and back; chest, shoulders, and triceps; and back and biceps. Other DVDs focus on plyometrics (explosive "power" movements), Kenpokickboxing, cardio fitness, abs/core, yoga, and stretching.

For example, the "Chest & Back" DVD is a 53-minute workout that works the chest muscles with variations of the push-up, including traditional push-ups, wide-stance “fly” push-ups, and push-ups done with your hands close together. It targets the back muscles with variations of the pull-up or pull-down exercise done with resistance bands, including pull-ups/pull-downs with your hands at shoulder width, wider, narrower, or reverse grip. It also includes rowing exercises done with dumbbells or resistance bands.

The 59-minute “Plyometrics” workout is the most intense in the P90X system. After a lengthy warm-up, this cardiovascular routine leads you through a series of jumping moves that primarily work the lower body. You'll need a good pair of shock-absorbing shoes and a soft landing surface for this one. (Because it's high impact, skip it if you have lower back, hip, knee, or ankle problems.)

Even the P90X yoga workout is intense: its 90 minutes long, and quite challenging, especially to those not accustomed to yoga.

The P90X system is based on the concept of "muscle confusion," which means varying the workout schedule and introducing new moves so the body never fully adapts. This is similar to the periodization techniques athletes use to get their bodies in top condition. It also has a basis in science; research suggests that workout programs that offer variation bring greater benefits than those that do not.

What this means is that over the 90-days of the P90X program, you'll change your weekly workout schedule every 3-4 weeks. You can also tailor your routine to the kind of results you want - focusing more on strength, cardio, or going the super-intense "Doubles" route of two workouts in a day.

The classic P90X program involves 13 weeks of alternating the three following weekly routines.

Weeks 1-3 and weeks 9 and 11:
• Day 1: Chest& Back and 16-minute Abs Ripper DVD
• Day 2: Plyometrics
• Day 3: Shoulders & Arms and Abs Ripper
• Day 4: Yoga
• Day 5: Legs& Back and Abs Ripper
• Day 6: Kenpo
• Day 7: Rest, or stretching workout
Weeks 5-7 and weeks 10 and 12:
• Day 1: Chest, Shoulders, and Triceps; Abs Ripper
• Day 2: Plyometrics
• Day 3: Back& Biceps, Abs Ripper
• Day 4: Yoga
• Day 5: Legs& Back, Abs Ripper
• Day 6: Kenpo
• Day 7: Rest or Stretching workout
Weeks 4, 8, and 13:
• Day 1: Yoga
• Day 2: Core Synergistics
• Day 3: Kenpo
• Day 4: Stretch
• Day 5: Core Synergistics
• Day 6: Yoga
• Day 7: Rest or Stretching workout

To determine whether you're capable of completing this regimen, Beach Body offers a fitness test on its web site. The test suggests minimum requirements for various exercises, such as push-ups, sit-ups, and pull-ups. If you don't meet the criteria for P90X, Beach Body recommends that you begin with a less intense program, such as their Power 90 workout DVDs.

The P90X nutrition plan that accompanies the fitness DVDs has three phases you can follow at any time, based on your current fitness and nutrition level:
• Phase 1, the "Fat Shredder," is a diet high in protein and low in carbohydrates and fat.
• Phase 2, "Energy Booster," calls for a more balanced mix of protein and carbohydrates, along with a small amount of fat.
• Phase 3,"“Endurance Maximizer," has higher levels of complex carbs, a moderate amount of protein, and a small amount of fat.

The P90X System: Pros
If you're already fairly fit, the P90X system is an excellent workout for losing body fat and increasing muscle tone.
Instructor Tony Horton does a nice job of explaining each exercise. The workouts can easily be done in your home, without a lot of equipment. Although the workouts are tough, you can pause the DVD if you need more rest.

The variety of DVDs allows you to change your workout frequently, which keeps you on your toes and prevents boredom.

The exercise and nutrition regimens are easy to follow, as workout schedules and daily eating plans are laid out in the booklets. The nutrition booklet also includes a variety of recipes.

You'll get a great workout with each DVD if you can maintain such an intense level of exercise. If you're a fitness enthusiast, you’ll enjoy the challenge of completing the 90-day program.

The P90X System: Cons
The P90X workouts are designed for healthy people in good physical condition. They're not intended for people with chronic diseases, the obese, or people with physical limitations.

In addition to the $120 cost for the P90X system, you'll need to buy some basic resistance training equipment if you don't already have it (the weights, bands, pull-up bar and mat). And, as with any home-based exercise regimen, distractions can often interfere with your workout.

If your fitness goal is primarily to gain muscle size and strength, you'll likely see greater benefits with traditional strength training that includes a variety of types of resistance exercise equipment. Because of their circuit format and minimal equipment, the P90X workout DVDs is mainly geared toward improving muscular endurance, muscle tone, and cardiovascular fitness.

The circuits target one body part right after another, which is great for a muscle-pumping/toning workout, but not ideal for increasing strength. For optimum development of muscle strength and size, it's recommended that you rest at least 1 minute between each set to fully recover so you can lift maximum weight on the next set.

As for the P90X nutrition plan, phases 1 and 2 are essentially low-carb diets, which most nutrition experts don't recommend for the long term. The nutrition program’s designer does not appear to be a registered dietician, and the diet plan is not based on the standard Food Pyramid recommendations from the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

The P90X System: Bottom Line
The P90X workout system sounds simple -- just follow the program for 90 days and you'll be more muscular and leaner than you ever imagined. But these challenging workouts require lots of dedication to complete.

Beginners, or those who are seriously unfit, probably will not make it through the rigorous schedule and should instead begin with a less intense workout.

If you're fairly fit and dedicated to completing the program, you will see results. But, as with any exercise program, the quality of those results will depend on how much effort you put in.

(Michael R. Esco, PhD, CSCS, HFS, is an assistant professor in The Department of Physical Education and Exercise Science at Auburn University Montgomery, in Montgomery, Ala. His opinions and conclusions are his own.)

Replies

• classycouture
    classycouture Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Very interesting article, Ron! Thank you for sharing. I found P90X to be a little too much for me. I also didn't care for the extra equipment it required. I do agree with the article that P90X is definitely intended for a healthy, fit person. I have a minor knee injury that really hindered my ability to complete the workouts.Thanks for posting!
  • ronadams52
    ronadams52 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your candid response. Most of my clients begin with me at a low fitness level and would certainly have to work up to that type of exercise intensity. Several purchased the package and there it sits. They also need someone who can teach them (with great patience) how to do the exercises properly and watch their form, breathing, stamina level and adjust exercises on the fly when something does not feel right on any particular day. While it works for many it is certainly not a one size fits all solution.
  • Focusonfifty
    Focusonfifty Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    No, everyone definitely is not strong willed enough to work out at home (alone); and some are too intimidated to work out in a gym. Either way suits me fine. Currently I do not attend a gym, I have my workout days scheduled and my motivation is the image in my mind of what I want to feel and look like (inside/out) not the person on my television screen. My son gave me copies of P90X, which I felt to be challenging, but not overbearing. I already have the required equipment but would have had to purchase more dumbbells eventually. I usually don't stick to one "routine" very long, I like to switch things up and I felt the Yoga dvd to be very boring. On yoga days I did the Jillian Michaels Yoga Meltdown (a vigorous yoga dvd) instead. When I do structured programs such as P90X I never partake in their "diet plan". I continue my normal healthy eating habits. Don't believe in these "low carb/high protein" programs.

I totally agree if one is not used to proper exercise format they should make certain they're squatting/lunging properly (knee over heal), doing pushups properly (straight back), etc etc., and don't overexert one's self while drinking adequate amounts of water. In this case they may want to start off with an experienced person such as yourself to train them on format, reps, rest period, etc etc. The system definitely is not for the inexperienced person who is new to this journey or someone with limitations.

BTW I never completed the program, went half way through. Will go back to it at some point.
  • ronadams52
    Options
    Thanks Ms. Focusonfifty. Your comments are appreciated and I could not agree more!
  • Jessintherain
    Jessintherain Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I'm on about week 4 of the actual P90X routine. I started doing core and cardio workouts about 4 months ago when I was living in Central America where I didn't feel comfortable going running outside, and I didn't have access to weights, pull up bars, etc. Now, back in the US I have access to a pull up bar, yoga mat, etc and I am really appreciating the results that the "whole package" can deliver. While I'm not shredding pounds, I'm also not following their meal guide, but I am feeling much stronger and my stamina has definitely increased.

I have to agree that the yoga routine is daunting. I recognize the importance of flexibility, but I don't care for yoga, so an hour and a half of sun salutations over and over is not for me. However, the P90X2 yoga is only about an hour and not quite so boring.

I am starting to feel like its about time to use bigger weights (I only have 5 and 8 pound dumbbell sets) and while I'm looking forward to better toning, I'm not looking forward to how expensive the equipment will be!

I wish I did have people to do the daily workouts with, though, for advice and commiseration. So far, everyone is too intimidated!
  • ronadams52
    Options
    @YessiOR. Thanks for your open and honest response. As I mentioned getting additional weights and accessories for my fitness level to use at home would be very costly. I myself also prefer seeing other human beings next to me at the gym working out, sweating and groaning. Like Myfitnesspal it provides a social aspect that I would not get standing in front of my TV. It really pumps me up just feeling all the energy!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    My dad ordered this program a couple of years ago and it's been sitting in his office ever since. He never did it. He just told me I can use it if I want and I would like to. I'm in better shape than he is, I work out but I have mostly just been doing cardio up until now. As far as strength/weight training I am not strong. I was under the impression that he shows you modified versions of the exercises in p90x....
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    <<< 46 years old.. doing P90x...started at 315 lbs.

Obese people CAN do it with proper modifications. yeah, I cant do plyo yet but I can attempt it and modify to keep the heart rate up. I can lift weights though and with increased muscle comes weight loss.
  • cdngrl81
    cdngrl81 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I have done P90X a few times (never the full 90 days) and I have never had an issue with how hard it is. I started it the first time without any training beforehand. I basically went from being a total couch potato to working out 5-6 days a week with no problems at all. I like how Tony shows you the correct way to do the exercise and how you can modify it to fit your needs or abilities. My husband just finished 90 days and is going through it again. He lost a little over 20 lbs the first time and is looking to lose another 20. I love the workout, but I find it hard to find 1 hour or more to fit into my day. I have just started bodyrocking which fits my lifestyle better (only 12 mins a day!!).
  • 5Goodyz
    5Goodyz Posts: 10
    Options
    On Day 37 of my first round of P90X. While I am not following the nutrion plan I am using this site to help cut some pounds prior to doing some races/events this year.

I do have plenty of physical training experience from 20+ years in the Army. I have my wife doing P90X with me and while she is not in the same shape as I am, she is making huge gains.

I like this article as it shows as honest assessment of the program. I love the motivation and humor that Tony brings. I have not seen that in other programs.

As with a lot of business programs - they are going to market ALL of their products whenever they can. I am not a fan of creatine added to my recovery meals/drinks. I use Gatorade Series drinks, low fat chocolate milk and the other stuff - water.

I agree that you need a lot of equipment, but you dont have to buy Beachbody's stuff. I have a pull up bar in my basement that is made frmo a 4' piece of black iron pipe, suspended by 1/4" cable from two eye hooks in my ceiling joists. I have 5,8 and 30# dumbbells. If I need more weight I take a resistance band and tie it to the dumbbell and it gives me more resistance.

Yes this is a hrad program and it is expensive but it doesnt have to be. Look for alternative (safe) ways to get the same result with a different product. During Desert Storm I was using .50 cal ammo cans (35#) to curl with. We were bench pressing 25mm ammo cans (60#). We didnt have weights, but we had things that were heavy that could be lifted.

If you open up your mind to what you HAVE and not what you dont have - you can Bring It! MOST IMPORTANT THING OF ALL - just start moving!
  • ronadams52
    Options
    @5Goodyz - Thanks for your response. I too served in the military many years ago during the Vietnam Era and the training we received was brutal by most standards. 25 mile marches with full battle gear and combat boots of course with heavy wool socks. No Brooks Ravenna 2 running shoes with cushioned socks. We sang cadence, no IPods to listen to. We had a canteen of water with salt tablets, no Gatorade or energy type bars. Later I trained Special Forces (Airborne Rangers and Green Berets) in the swamps and mountains in gorilla warfare tactical survival, no gym, P90X, machines or free weights. So I kind of know what you are talking about.

About Tony, you probably know he started out as a comedian making people laugh, and then he found out that it was much more financially rewarding to use his talents to produce exercise videos and instead of making people laugh he himself could laugh all the way to the bank.

Yes there are ways to save money and be creative as you did. I saved even more by buying the Supreme 90 Day System by Tom Holland which came with a 10 disc DVD set plus some extras. It cost me only $29 plus shipping and is basically the same routines minus the comedy and a little less choreography.

You are also right that the main thing is to begin an exercise program consisting of cardio and strength training and get a well-balanced nutrition system to support your energy needs and goal attainment. I have found that with that in place it does not matter much whether you are doing P900X, the Supreme Day challenge, going to a gym or even doing body weight calisthenics. You will make progress if you just show up and put forth some intensity!
  • must4chec4t
    Options
    Its a Really intense workout! My sister-in-law and her dad did it and my sis lost all her baby weight and her dad looks just like the guy from the commercial.
  • ronadams52
    Options
    That is great to hear!
  • cincymomof3
    cincymomof3 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    My dad ordered this program a couple of years ago and it's been sitting in his office ever since. He never did it. He just told me I can use it if I want and I would like to. I'm in better shape than he is, I work out but I have mostly just been doing cardio up until now. As far as strength/weight training I am not strong. I was under the impression that he shows you modified versions of the exercises in p90x....

They do give you modifications! You should give it a try. I'm finishing up week 2 and loving it!
  • vichm
    vichm Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Great reading and helped me alot with making a decision on this workout. I am currently working through the insanity workout and it is tough but was wondering if this alone will tone my muscles and leave me more defined?!- Therefore considered this one, however with the added expense of equipment and the longer workouts think I will leave for now as with the children and soon to be returning to work I think I will struggle to find a full hour to complete this. I will reassess after my insanity program and see If i feel the need.. :happy: