Need Support- I quit smoking today!

Options
Hullo MFP'ers!

I need some support today. I quit smoking this morning and I'm feeling it now. It's so difficult to not reach for that smoke. :explode:

I'm using Nicorette gum and have more mints than you could shake a stick at. It's still really difficult. Anyone have any tips or tricks?

I'm allowing myself to eat whatever I want for the next three days. I figure it's more important to make sure I don't smoke rather than if I go over my calories a bit for three days. Am I setting myself up for failure by taking three days off? I'm talking about eating mints, hard candy and lots of diet dr pepper.

Thanks for reading! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• twirlingangel
    Options
    Best of Luck! I have never been a smoker but my husband is. I have seen him try to quite and know it is really a rough go. Keep your mind on your goal and you will be successful. Reward your small achievements with something else that you really want!!! :) Your plan of attack sounds reasonable.
  • TByrd1325
    TByrd1325 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Minty gum and dum-dum suckers.
  • proctor0828
    Options
    Good luck !!! It's a hard road but the best rewards!! I quit little over a year ago. I'm so glad I did before my children were old enough to really know.
  • HeatherMMB
    Options
    Hi- CONGRATULATIONS - a great decision for your health!! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

I stopped smoking 7 ears ago as of Feb 14 this year - I had been a smoker for ~30 years! [now you have an idea of how old I am :laugh: ]

I tried stopping about 8 times - pretty average according to the research.

IDEAS:
    A. drink lots and lots of water - :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: helps get the nicotine out of your system - it can take 3 days for the 'drug' to clear your system if you are nicotine free
    B. stop doing some things you associate strongly with smoking - instead, clean your car - get rid of ashtrays - go smell your clothes day after tomorrow and then start up the washing machine! :laugh:
    C. exercise - lots is you can:happy:

When I got a craving I would do three things:
    1. tell my self the craving was silly as I was a non-smoker so why would I be having cravings
    2. got up and did something - load the dishwasher, clean a drawer, dust, walk around the block - anything to distract myself and the craving did go away
    3. get a piece of paper and just write out - over and over - I am a non-smoker - to get the message into my subconscious - it does work!

Keep working at it every day - get a picture of smokers lungs - hang it on your fridge - anything to help you recognize what a good and important thing you are doing

Make some rewards - I put the money I would have spent on smokes in a clear jar so I would see - every day - what I would have burnt up! If a craving is really bad burn the price of a pack - that helps - because it helps you see - really see - what you would be doing if you gave in.

BE strong - you CAN do this and your body wil love you for it and trust me - life as a non-smoker is SO much better!! I can't imagine where I found the time to smoke. And remember - smokes contain cyanide and arsnic - so why would you want cyanide and arsnic - a question I used to ask myself!!

Good luck - stay connected with MFP to get support - you can do this!! :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • LydiaJay
    LydiaJay Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Well done on making the first leap......you can get through this, just think you will be able to run that little but further and jump that little bit higher when your lungs are cleaner and you can take in more air and hence lose that little bit more weight.

I have watched my mam over the years trying to give up smoking several times, one of her more successfull attempts was the apple diet, she eat nothing but apples! I would suggest having a bowl of fruit on your desk / wherever you are and when you feel the urge for a smoke grab an orange or some grapes. Small healthy snacks will (hopefully) take away the munching / cravings.

Good luck with it all....and dont forget to treat yourself once in a while! :drinker:
  • TuscanySun
    TuscanySun Posts: 3,608 Member
    Options
    Good for you!! I smoked for 18 years and successfully quit 8 years ago. My hints?? Alot of prayer every time a craving hit, Tension Tamer Tea from Celestial Seasonings (has calming herbs in it that I swear work) and fresh green beans by the ton...something about the shape and the crunch...I ate tons of them for the first 2 weeks...kept a bag with me at all times.

You CAN do this and congratulations on your first day toward true health and well being!!
  • FireMonkey
    FireMonkey Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Smoking is both a physical addiction to nicotine and a psychological habit. Since you're using nicorette gum, right now you're working on developing new habits.

Some things that worked for me:

- keep yourself busy, preferably out of the house
    - avoid your usual smoking routines, e.g. if you always had a smoke with your morning coffee at the kitchen table, take your coffee somewhere else or switch to tea
    - learn something new; a new sport, new craft or whatever else interests you, or start a new project
    - carrots and celery sticks keep your mouth busy because they take a bit of chewing
    - lots of water
    - exercise to get over cravings, even short bouts like running around the block
    - brush your teeth a lot
    - if you have a very strong craving, tell yourself "I'll light up in half an hour, but not now"; chances are by then the craving will be gone, if not, give yourself another half hour
    - have a list (or make one now) with all the reasons why you want to live healthy; put it in a prominent place
    - stay away from places where people smoke, like pubs; this is not the time to test your willpower
    - reward yourself every day!!!

Once you feel ready to stop the gum, it will take about a week to get over the physical addiction. You'll probably feel quite irritable but if you learn about it beforehand you will be able to recognize the symptoms and learn to cope with them.

Best of luck; I've been smoke free for almost twenty years now. Best decision I ever made!
  • Rica03
    Rica03 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I wish you the best of luck! I quit 2 years and 2 months ago. I quit using the Chantix and it was easier than I thought it was going to be. But the down side of the whole process which I guess I shouldn't say it was the downside since my lungs are now very healthy is I gained 20lbs. :devil: YIKES, and I am still struggling to get it off!
    But I have absolutely no regrets whatsoever! So good luck:flowerforyou: and if you need to vent I am a good listener!
    Erica
  • jb_sweet_99
    jb_sweet_99 Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    Congrats to you, I know it's hard but you can do it! I've now been a non smoker for a year and a half and it feels so much better!!
    I found that drinking a full glass of water helps to get over a craving, and lots of gum! If you like and have access to cinnamon hearts they work wonders to keep your mouth occupied, that's what helped me out the most I think, they burned the craving out of my mouth!
    Try to remember, it really is mind over matter. No matter how much your brain/body wants that smoke, just don't pick it up and that's your first step.
    Also, I know a ton of people that have quit by reading Allen Carr's "Easy Way to Stop Smoking" I guess it gives you a new way of looking at yourself and smoking.
    Good Luck, and congrats again. You can do it!!! :flowerforyou:
  • Shuutnstar
    Shuutnstar Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    So today is going to be a good day! Make yourself a new goal! Mine is drinking a 16oz bottle of water on the way to work and on the way home from work each day. Send me a comment with your goal, and it will give me an idea and I will try to check in with you and see how you are doing! It will also give you accountibility! Send this comment to your friends and get them to work on a new goal too!
  • FireMonkey
    FireMonkey Posts: 500 Member
    Options

When I got a craving I would do three things:
    1. tell my self the craving was silly as I was a non-smoker so why would I be having cravings

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Love it!

:heart:
  • ontheedge50
    ontheedge50 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    X smoker of 35 years. 17 months smoke free!!!! All I can say is be strong. Get lots of carrots, celery and whatever else you might want to put in your mouth that's NOT a cigarette! Try to keep it healthy. It's tough but you're tougher!!!! Get control of your life!!!! You can do it!!!!
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,550 Member
    Options
    Congrats Gemi!! YOu can do it :)

I quit on May 22, after 30 years of smoking. One thing that helped me was fake cigarettes. Not the kind that have tar in them, but the kind you do not light up. There is no tobacco, smoke, ash, or tar, just looks similar, and most importantly, feels similar in your hands and between your lips. For about a month, I had one with me all the time. Whenever, I'd get the urge to smoke, I'd grab one of my fake smokes and pretend I was having a real one. After the first 3-4 days, the physical withdrawal was over, and I just had the mental battles to go. Here is a link to something similar to my 'fake cigs' - http://www.ioffer.com/i/Smokeless-Non-Tobacco-MENTHOL-Cigarettes-Quit-Smoking--102162731
  • tabbydog
    tabbydog Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Baby carrots. The hardest part when I quit was the hand to mouth habit. Baby carrots and celery are low calorie, and good for you. Excellent substitute! Best of luck to you! :drinker:
  • maurierose
    maurierose Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    You sure got some great tips up there ^ ^ ^ ^

I don't have any different ones, just wanted to say CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!

YOU CAN DO THIS, YOU'RE AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!

You're going to be sooooo incredibly proud of this new change, even when you're climbing over the hurdles of withdrawals.

:smile: :happy: :flowerforyou: :bigsmile:
  • CrystalT
    CrystalT Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Congrats and good luck! The worst time for me when I quit was right after work. So, that's when I hit the gym. It relieved the stress of the work day so I didn't want the cigarette as much. Plus, I felt like I'd just done something healthy, so smoking would just be dumb.

There are still times I want one, but it does get better. Hang in there!
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Just over four months ago I was where you are today. I was posting a thread right here on MFP to tell everyone that as of that day I was no longer a smoker and that I needed everyone's support to encourage me and keep me accountable to my decision. It has been a difficult road but well worth it.

The advice everyone has given you so far is excellent and so I don't have much to add except to tell you 2 things that have helped me. Part of the reason I quit was because I had registered in a 1/2 marathon and had begun training. Running for me is already difficult and I knew that I probably would not be able to complete the race unless I quit smoking (the race is Oct). Also, people in my life were starting to look up to me for the positive changes I have made and I felt like a hypocrit. How could I be a healthy, active person and a smoker? Seemed like a contradiction. It didn't fit with my new lifestyle.
    Also, for me smoking and drinking go hand in hand. So I knew that the only way I had a shot at quiting smoking was if I gave up drinking for a while. I needed to break the association I had between the two. It was difficult (I love red wine) but it worked and now I am able to drink red wine (in moderation) without smoking. I have not had a cigarette since that day I pledged myself to be a non-smoker here on MFP. I do still get cravings (sometimes pretty strong ones) but I just remind myself what I would be giving up if I started smoking again. I have come to far to go back down that road again. Now I just have to convince my hubby to follow me.

Good luck. You CAN do this. Even when your cravings are at their worst remind yourself of why you quit and remember that the cravings will pass. :flowerforyou:
  • GreenEyedMonster
    Options
    All I can say is best of luck. I quit about 6 times and gained about 5 lbs each time and never lost.... It took me moving from FL to AK to finally quit for good. Wasn't worth stopping every 2 hours to smoke driving 13 days. Plus I didn't have time to indulge my cravings too much. So about 9 years laters still not smoking but just now finally trying to get the weight off.
  • Mercede
    Mercede Posts: 21
    Options
    Congratulations. I quit years ago and it was not easy. It helped me to put my energy into working out more. That will help you to not gain weight and keep your mind off of it. Mints helped too. Just remember don't ever think you can smoke just one cigeratte.
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys so very very much for all the tips and well wishes.

I really needed to hear them today. The afternoon is getting a little more difficult and I'm holding on by my teeth lol And about two bowls of grapes, a carrot and some beef jerky.

I'm going to do my best, and keep doing it everyday. Can't tell you how much you've helped me today.

((((((Group Hug That Doesn't Smell Like An Ashtray Anymore))))))) :flowerforyou: