Random question!

Options
Why is it ok to take ibuprofen and drink alcohol but not ok to have cough medicine and drink alcohol?

Only as I have on more then one occasion had ibuprofen and a couple glasses of wine and be fine yet I have also had cough medicine and wine and ended up not really remembering much afterwards lol!!

Any ideas??

Replies

• chantel14
    chantel14 Posts: 128
    Options
    The only reason your not suppose to take ibuprofen with alcohol is because they both effect the liver. Taking them together would only hurt you if you did it like every day it would eventually cause liver damage. Other wise, I really wouldn't worry about it. And I am sure it depends on what kind of cough medicine it is, the good stuff that is prescription has contains codeine and is a narcotic, therefore the alcohol is intensifying the narcotic and will really put you out :)- Kinda like taking painkillers and drinking at the same time, it will get you drunk twice as fast.
  • chantel14
    chantel14 Posts: 128
    Options
    Oh, and ibuprofen is just a blood thinner
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    there's already a wee bit of alcohol in cough medicine but not prob not enough to get you drunk - you were mabey just really run down
  • MinkyMoo13
    MinkyMoo13 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    It was vodka and benilyn (sorry wrong spelling) and I couldn't remember anything lol have never taken cough medicine with alcohol since.