Too Much Protein: Beneficial or Not

Options
As of today, I have upped my protein intake in hopes to build a little more muscle. By the end of today, my protein intake will be in the red -32.
My question: is there such a thing as TOO much protein? Is more protein allowed? What should I set my intake to?

I'm currently trying to lose 8 more pounds, but looking to build (a little) muscle in the process. Once I reach my goal, I plan on lifting weights more.

Also, I'm having horrible shin splints. Anything to do for that?!

Replies

• TanyaDelAngel
    TanyaDelAngel Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    If you build muscle maybe you won't lose weight, because you are gaining weight in muscle, Do I explain my self?, but you will be able to notice it. I like to go to GNC and ask somebody that looks really bulky questions about how much protein, it usually says in the bag how much you need after training. Hopefully somebody here will be able to tell you.
  • gastankerdriver
    Options
    If you want to add some muscle, I recommend upping the protein intake. It is also very important to spread it out over the day. I read on Bodybuilding.com that the body can only process about 20 grams of protein at a time (not sure if that applies to women, men or both). Consistency, and small protein rich meals spread out through out the day will give you your best results. Also, try to increase your diet of complex carbohydrates--yams, peas, brown rice, kidney beans (ew!), whole wheat bread, etc. Some additional products that I use to build and retain muscle are Universal creatine chews and Allmax Aminocore. As far as how much protein should you take in, I would go on one of the bodybuilding sites for that answer. Just guessing, I would say close to your bodyweight every day, but do the research yourself. It also depends on how much excercise you are getting. There are many factors and it is not an exact science. I am still learning every day. Good luck to you. Add me if you want support or have questions.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    If you build muscle maybe you won't lose weight, because you are gaining weight in muscle, Do I explain my self?, but you will be able to notice it. I like to go to GNC and ask somebody that looks really bulky questions about how much protein, it usually says in the bag how much you need after training. Hopefully somebody here will be able to tell you.

LOL most people at GNC are seriously clueless.

Set your protein to your LBM number. So mine is around 100 grams a day. More protein will help protect your muscle mass.
  • MaryPhillips90
    MaryPhillips90 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice :)
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    In my nutrition class they say anything over 45% of your daily intake can start to cause problems but 35-45 is ideal :)
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    ahah, no, 40% is HUGE :noway: :noway: :noway:
    There is no rule, but when we calculate macros, we usually start by the fat :
    from 15 to 35% of the total intake
    followed by proteins, based on bodyweight (in kilos), for a non lifter, 1,5 g per bodyweight in kilos is enough (that goes from 15 to 20%)
    and we complete with carbs, used for hitting your daily goals
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    Percentages are not the best to go by i think.
    There will be a crazy difference between someone eating 1300 calories and 2,000 like me!

Set protein in g of LBM
    set fat to .35 time bodyweight
    ^^these are minimums
    Rest in whatever (yummy carbs!xD)
  • lizzys
    lizzys Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    good question
  • USMCConditioning
    Options
    Well, it really does depend on what you're trying to accomplish. As far as too much protein, it's not BAD, but it's wasteful. Your body will only absorb roughly 30grams of protein at one time. Generally, anymore then that and it just comes out of your body. For me personally, i should be consuming my body weight in protein on a daily basis. everyone has a different objective when it comes to protein, though.
  • PercivalHackworth
    Options
    yes, but for most people, overgoing in proteins is often useless, and ends up in the belly zone ;D
    Since you lift you won't have that issue.
    It's always funny how recurrent associations exist :
    protein <---> muscle gain
    fat <---> will make me fat
    carbs <---> avoid certain/ avoid em all
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    This what I do

1 gram per pound of lean body weight for protein.
    .25 grams per pound of lean body weight for fat
    The rest I fill up with carbs to meet my daily calorie goal.

If I work out and need to eat back calories I just eat any combination of carbs/fats/protein until I reach my calorie goal as long as my daily minimum has been met for fat and protein.

I found this video very helpful
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLhtjYoU9aQ
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Anything over 1g/lb of body weight cannot really be beneficial, but isn't doing any real harm, either.
  • PercivalHackworth
    Options
    Well, it really does depend on what you're trying to accomplish. As far as too much protein, it's not BAD, but it's wasteful. Your body will only absorb roughly 30grams of protein at one time. Generally, anymore then that and it just comes out of your body. For me personally, i should be consuming my body weight in protein on a daily basis. everyone has a different objective when it comes to protein, though.

Both statement are false
    #1 - http://www.liftbigeatbig.com/2011/10/protein-absorption-myth-of-30-grams.html
    #2- http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/excess-protein-and-fat-storage-qa.html
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    I read on Bodybuilding.com that the body can only process about 20 grams of protein at a time (not sure if that applies to women, men or both).

Myth.
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    Every day I exceed my protein allowance, and I'm not really sure I eat all that much! I do have two servings of yogurt, usually scrambled egg whites, and maybe a small amount of lean meat during the day. I don't really want to cut out much more protein. Does anyone else have this issue?
  • rfarinha
    rfarinha Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    According to Joy Bauer, the nutritionist on the Today Show, we need about 50% of our weight in grams of protein. That means if a person weighs 150 pounds they would need 75 grams of protein each day.

I think MFP really "under allocates" the amount of protein on our target macros...
  • USMCConditioning
    Options

Both statement are false
    #1 - http://www.liftbigeatbig.com/2011/10/protein-absorption-myth-of-30-grams.html
    #2- http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/excess-protein-and-fat-storage-qa.html

Thats actually good to know, thanks for the links.
  • PercivalHackworth
    Options
    :drinker:
  • Ash_76
    Ash_76 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I read on Bodybuilding.com that the body can only process about 20 grams of protein at a time (not sure if that applies to women, men or both).

Myth.

that is a average set for the average person, a 20 stone person will absorb more than a 10 stone person.
  • MaryPhillips90
    MaryPhillips90 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    According to Joy Bauer, the nutritionist on the Today Show, we need about 50% of our weight in grams of protein. That means if a person weighs 150 pounds they would need 75 grams of protein each day.

I think MFP really "under allocates" the amount of protein on our target macros...

Ok, this makes me feel better, but seems a little outrageous for the everyday person! I'm TRYING to up my protein and reached close to 80g (I weigh 143) by the day was over. This was by specifically drinking protein shakes and I had chicken for lunch. How would the everyday person (who is not trying to lose weight/gain muscle) get this much protein in their diet without trying?!