congestion/coughing after jogging-why?

Options
When I have gone jogging on cooler days my chest gets tight and I end up coughing a very deep cough like I have a bad cold or like I smoke (I don't). Does anyone know why this happens and how to get rid of it?

Replies

• JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    Do you have a history of asthma? That's what I sound like if I run outside when it's cold.
  • BorderMommy
    Options
    That you mention having a tight chest makes me concerned that you may be suffering from exercise induced asthma. It is a simple fix with a rescue inhaler and possibly a daily inhaler, though not always.

Please see a Doctor and get their opinion. Better safe than sorry, untreated asthma is nothing to mess around with.
  • whoiskat23
    whoiskat23 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it sounds like exercise induced asthma, in my non-professional opinion. :laugh: I also think it has to do with just minor irritation of more air getting in to your lungs... My theory anyway. Lolol! :laugh:
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    When I have gone jogging on cooler days my chest gets tight and I end up coughing a very deep cough like I have a bad cold or like I smoke (I don't). Does anyone know why this happens and how to get rid of it?

Agree with the other poster, asthma or allergies. One thing my doctor told me years ago when I first found it that I had some activity-induced asthma or some crap like that. I was fine most of the time but when I started running or something I'd start coughing and crap.
  • bitesize786
    Options
    how long have u been jogging for?

if u just started that is the reason, and it will go away if u have been doing it for a while then, take it easy, do a light jog and if it persist then honestly ask a doctor, cos it could be a number of things not enough vitamins, not enough fluid while jogging.

when i started jogging it happen to me too. but now it stopped cos im used to it.

i hope i helped.
  • DG_Allen
    DG_Allen Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I get this too. When I run and it's below about 42 degrees I get a little thick in my chest. I had a physical therapist tell me not to worry about it, it's just what happens with the cold air and the lungs. My chese clears up after I get back in the house and take a shower and warm up.
  • Alicia7896
    Options
    Well...I have asthma and I just *don't* run outside in the winter, and I have to be sure to take albuterol before I go out on chilly mornings or I'll have a problem. But, physiologically, I believe the sudden cold air is going to make your airways constrict a little bit in response to the chill. But definitely check with a physician; I'm a nursing student, not a doctor. ;)

EDIT: One thing to note: a lot of people feel this in the cold weather or when they're out of shape. It is not always exercise-induced asthma. You don't want to be tossing meds at every little thing when, really, you just need to give your body time to get in shape. I have a coworker who is a runner, and he says that, unless he trains in the cold, he has a tough time just going out "cold turkey" on a cold morning.

Hope that makes sense.
  • dwurth2
    dwurth2 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I agree that it sounds like it could be exercise induced asthma. I have that and just stick to the treadmill when it's below about 50 outside. I would def. go to your doc and have it checked out.
  • asharkin
    asharkin Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses. I am half way through. C25k program. It only happens on cold days and only after I quit running-breathe fine during. I guess I should go to the Dr and get an inhaled if that might help. Its more annoying than anything :(
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    EDIT: One thing to note: a lot of people feel this in the cold weather or when they're out of shape. It is not always exercise-induced asthma. You don't want to be tossing meds at every little thing when, really, you just need to give your body time to get in shape.

I might agree with you, but asthma is nothing to *kitten* with. It can turn deadly without much warning. Google the rate of asthma fatalities/year...it's some serious stuff, not just a minor inconvenience. Breathing is sorta important.

asharkin, I would talk to your doctor. Don't blow this off. It could be nothing, or it could be serious. I have asthma that is generally well-controlled with daily inhaled steroid meds, but very cold or very humid weather can really set me off. My asthma is cough-variant, so my primary symptom is a persistent cough, even hours after a workout.
  • itgeekwoman
    itgeekwoman Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Yesterday was the first time in YEARS since I have run or jogged and sure enough I had to get my rescue inhaler and have started my asthma regime. I haven't used the puffer in 8 months, but I'm digging it out now so that I can continue this journey at a faster pace.

get checked, take the meds and keep running!
  • skywa
    skywa Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    if your running outside it might be the air.

i live in hawaii so i dont experience this. but most cities and full of polluted air.

xP
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    EDIT: One thing to note: a lot of people feel this in the cold weather or when they're out of shape. It is not always exercise-induced asthma. You don't want to be tossing meds at every little thing when, really, you just need to give your body time to get in shape.

I might agree with you, but asthma is nothing to *kitten* with. It can turn deadly without much warning. Google the rate of asthma fatalities/year...it's some serious stuff, not just a minor inconvenience. Breathing is sorta important.

asharkin, I would talk to your doctor. Don't blow this off. It could be nothing, or it could be serious. I have asthma that is generally well-controlled with daily inhaled steroid meds, but very cold or very humid weather can really set me off. My asthma is cough-variant, so my primary symptom is a persistent cough, even hours after a workout.

I can not agree with this enough. Do not mess with it. Since you don't know what it is, you dont want to guess at what it is not. I also have exercised enduced asthma, also well controlled. But I know what my triggers are, too. Go see a doctor.