Snacks before and after workout

I am doing Bootcamp at 5:30 am. I typically eat a banana before and either 2 hard boiled eggs or oatmeal afterwards. Is this okay or are there better options out there?

Replies

• to be honest, whatever works for you in my opinion.

seems intense, u will need something with energy. before i cycle i have a big breakfast. 2 eggs, beans, toast and mushrooms, then i can cycle very hard.

but if it works for you keep it up!

bootcamps r awesome i always wanted to do that
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 833 Member
    Just do what works for you, everyone is different!

I know when I workout, I need a peice of toast with nut butter and honey or I just do not have the energy to workout, but some of my team mates can do ride on just coffee or huge breakfasts.
  • bethlouw
    bethlouw Posts: 1
    Banana is good but I would try to get in some protien. It is hard when boot camp is that early. I did it for a year and found out I could push myself more when I ate protien anhour before. I had Chobani, a protein bar or a protein shake. But I woke up at 4am for the 5:30 class so I digested the food well. Try different foods and see what works for you. Everyone is different.
  • OvOv
    OvOv Posts: 50
    Before:

Banana is good. Depends if you feel you need more energy or not during your workout. If you feel you need more energy try and have some slow-releasing carbs like wholegrains as well.

After:

I'm not really familiar with what Bootcamp is, but, depending on how strenuous it is on your muscles, you definitely want to get a decent amount of protein in to help rebuild and recover your muscles. Eggs and oatmeal are decent, but if you find your muscles are constantly aching the next day, then maybe up the quantities a bit.

Just my thoughts - that's what seems to work for me :)
  • shamrck44
    shamrck44 Posts: 91
    I like to have a Greek Yogurt before a hard workout, usually an hour before. I have tried different brands and they are between 12-14 grams of protein.