Eating 1 ounce????

Options
How much is a ounce?
Isnt an ounce equals to 1 bite?
I see it on the food entries and I always wanted to know.
Yes I'm serious.

Replies

• SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Do you have a measuring cup - or a food scale. you need to get serious about measurements or you won't have an accurate calorie count.
  • SunshineT83
    SunshineT83 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    A food scale will really help you in this journey but here are some basic ideas of portion sizes:

http://www.webmd.com/diet/printable/portion-control-size-guide
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    How much is a ounce?
    Isnt an ounce equals to 1 bite?
    I see it on the food entries and I always wanted to know.
    Yes I'm serious.

You put it on the scale.

Considering most of my meats (chicken, steak, pork chops, or fish) are about 4 OZ servings, it is no where NEAR one bite.
  • bluebirdbeetle1202
    Options
    I just bought a kitchen scale a couple days ago. LOVE IT!!!!!! It's pretty sensitive, and I can choose between measuring ounces and grams. I weigh everything now. And let me tell you, before I started weighing what I ate, my serving size estimate was WAY off base, lol. Now I can easily weigh things and do quick math to figure out exactly how many calories I'm eating :)
  • Seraph1120
    Seraph1120 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Ugh...I really need to break down and get a food scale. I'm bad at guesstimating portions. (On a side note - excited that guesstimating actually shows as a word in spell check! Small things like this make me happy! =D)
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    You do need to weigh it, because an ounce is more bites of some things than others.

An ounce of lettuce is quite a lot of bites!
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I just bought a kitchen scale a couple days ago. LOVE IT!!!!!! It's pretty sensitive, and I can choose between measuring ounces and grams. I weigh everything now. And let me tell you, before I started weighing what I ate, my serving size estimate was WAY off base, lol. Now I can easily weigh things and do quick math to figure out exactly how many calories I'm eating :)
    I discovered that before I got my food scale, I was probably underestimating 1/2 my foods and going a little over on portions even using measuring cups. The scale is so much more accurate.
  • kris4chloe
    kris4chloe Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    yep need to weigh it. i put a handful of dried cranberries on my oatmeal and it weighs an ounce, more then one bit. same thing with cheese, you get quite a bit of shredded cheese for an ounce.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Buy a scale! Some foods are heavier than others so an ounce varies depending on what it is!