HRM

Options
Vote for your favorite heart rate monitors...i am gonna invest in one because I have low blood pressure, thus want accurate calorie counts.

Replies

• kblu0816
    kblu0816 Posts: 1,627 Member
    Options
    Vote for your favorite heart rate monitors...i am gonna invest in one because I have low blood pressure, thus want accurate calorie counts.

It seems that whenever I go to the doctor my blood pressure is low too...does that decrease the calories burned or the opposite? I never knew this would affect it.
  • jljohnson
    jljohnson Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I have a Precision Trainer XT heart rate monitor. It's made by both the Pro-Form and Reebok brands (same thing, different label). If you watch for a good deal, you can get it really cheap (mine was only $20 online). It does have a chest strap, and I think it's just as good as the more expensive ones.
  • zebras
    zebras Posts: 600
    Options
    My Timex is very good at monitoring the heart rate, but the calculation they use for calculating calories is way too generous.
  • debb1985
    debb1985 Posts: 19
    Options
    I love my Polar F4 :)
  • Laila21
    Laila21 Posts: 12
    Options
    i have a sportline that i got from walmart that works great for heart rate and was way cheaper than most only $30, but the calorie counter is totally skewed. So if you want more features, you're gonna have to invest more.
  • neenaleigh
    neenaleigh Posts: 584 Member
    Options

i want one too! thanks for making this post, maybe we can get some real reviews!
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    A HRM is going to be inaccurate because SO many more factors influence calorie consumption than just heart rate. It uses metabolic equivalents to estimate calorie burn based on your working vs. resting heart rate. But calorie burn is about oxygen consumption, and that is honestly regulated at the cellular level based on how efficient your mitochondria are. The less efficient, the more calories you waste. And there's not reasonable way to measure that. So it's all just an estimation.
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    A HRM is going to be inaccurate because SO many more factors influence calorie consumption than just heart rate. It uses metabolic equivalents to estimate calorie burn based on your working vs. resting heart rate. But calorie burn is about oxygen consumption, and that is honestly regulated at the cellular level based on how efficient your mitochondria are. The less efficient, the more calories you waste. And there's not reasonable way to measure that. So it's all just an estimation.

i appreciate your knowledge on this matter

i looked at your profile and you clearly have a lot of education on this stuff...i was thinking of taking kinesiology just out of general interest, i wanted to make it my elective but the spots were on tight reserve for kin majors

what can you tell me about the kin?
  • maurierose
    maurierose Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I love my polar f11 - I can upload my time spent exercising/calories burned/etc with the mic on my laptop.... easy way to keep a journal of what I did and when, and compare what worked best to what wasn't so good. LOL

Got it new on ebay for about half the price you'd pay in a store..... :smile:
  • foxyforce
    Options
    I love my polar f11 - I can upload my time spent exercising/calories burned/etc with the mic on my laptop.... easy way to keep a journal of what I did and when, and compare what worked best to what wasn't so good. LOL

Got it new on ebay for about half the price you'd pay in a store..... :smile:

that is acctually pretty cool
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options

i looked at your profile and you clearly have a lot of education on this stuff...i was thinking of taking kinesiology just out of general interest, i wanted to make it my elective but the spots were on tight reserve for kin majors

Kinesiology isn't my favorite. That's just the 'parts'. My specialty is more in the area of physiology, which is how the parts work, with respect to exercise. In general, the classes come as two sections--one for kines, one for phys. If you're interested in the systemic aspect, do physiology or exercise physiology/exercise science. I found the class really interesting, but a lot of people found it difficult to take the little packets of information and put them together for a big picture. In general you learn about the different energy systems-- phosphocreatine, fast/anaerobic glycolysys, slow/aerobic glycolysis, and the krebs cycle and oxidative phosphorylation/electron transport chain. You'll also learn about Type I and Type IIa and IIb muscle fibers, how muscles contract, how muscles stretch, a little bit about energy substrate, and plenty about origin/insertions of muscle groups. It's a little heavy for an elective.
  • foxyforce
    Options

Kinesiology isn't my favorite. That's just the 'parts'. My specialty is more in the area of physiology, which is how the parts work, with respect to exercise. In general, the classes come as two sections--one for kines, one for phys. If you're interested in the systemic aspect, do physiology or exercise physiology/exercise science. I found the class really interesting, but a lot of people found it difficult to take the little packets of information and put them together for a big picture. In general you learn about the different energy systems-- phosphocreatine, fast/anaerobic glycolysys, slow/aerobic glycolysis, and the krebs cycle and oxidative phosphorylation/electron transport chain. You'll also learn about Type I and Type IIa and IIb muscle fibers, how muscles contract, how muscles stretch, a little bit about energy substrate, and plenty about origin/insertions of muscle groups. It's a little heavy for an elective.

before i read it all i was thinking...too heavy for my courseload lol. it does sound really informative though, which is what i need. i haven't hated one class i have taken in postsecondary, well, except stats lol. so maybe i will take it in the summer if they let me. thanks a bunch!
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I have a Precision Trainer XT heart rate monitor. It's made by both the Pro-Form and Reebok brands (same thing, different label). If you watch for a good deal, you can get it really cheap (mine was only $20 online). It does have a chest strap, and I think it's just as good as the more expensive ones.

I have this one too and I love it. Though I cannot figure out how to clear the memory. Now that it's full, everytime I go to use it it tells me that it's full and I delete just one entry. I swear I have deleted all of them correctly, but when I go to use it again it says the memory is full. Not a big deal, I just delete each time, but I wish I could figure out how to delete it all.
  • Wecandothis
    Wecandothis Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options

I must have really efficient mitochondria. Maybe I'm a Jedi... (Sorry - that was a joke for the geeks amongst us.) :wink:
  • busymom74
    busymom74 Posts: 3,341 Member
    Options

I have this one too and I love it. Though I cannot figure out how to clear the memory. Now that it's full, everytime I go to use it it tells me that it's full and I delete just one entry. I swear I have deleted all of them correctly, but when I go to use it again it says the memory is full. Not a big deal, I just delete each time, but I wish I could figure out how to delete it all.

I ditto this ditto. I have the reebok one and I LOVE it. I got it for $26. I can save my data and all. (I've had no problem erasing mine though. hmmm) There are so many features that I haven't figured then all out yet. :laugh:
  • Demetria
    Demetria Posts: 178
    Options

So you know for sure that low blood pressure affects how many calories you burn?

Demetria