My Journey for the United States Marines.

Options
Just a little back round story, for those who are wondering "why?".

Well, it all started as a child, learning about the USMC, what they stand for, what they do, and most importantly, doing something bigger than ones self. Out of all of my brothers, I'm the only one who actually struggles with being a big kid. I have always been a bigger kid, though, not a weak kid. Just a naturally bigger kid. Anyway, I don't ever remember being brain washed or told that if i joined the military, the Marines was my only choice. It just feels like the only good choice...

Being 23 years old trying to get into the marines, is not something that you see often. In fact, I have done weekly poolee functions every weekend, and i haven't seen a single person there *who isn't already a marine* that is old enough to legally consume alcohol. roughly 6 months ago my wife finally understood what it means to me that i do this. It took years of convincing, even going for reserve branches! So i went to a recruiter, and he told me that i have to lose weight, the marines will not take me *which then i was 245 LBS, at 70' * Among other things, i had several piercings and such. So that night, i decided to change my lifestyle. I took out all of my piercings, started shaving every other day, so on and so forth.

Fast forward 6 months, and i am currently bouncing from 215-218. The biggest reason why i joined MFP is because at this point i can take all of the help i can get. I can't afford a gym membership, so i go to my local apartment complex gym, which works for me. The problem is that, i can't seem to get passed 210LBS. I have gone to an extreme to even going on the "Master Cleanse" which basically is fasting from anywhere from 7-15 days. I have have my days, or even week(s) of lazyness and becoming incredibly discouraged, eating trash food. But i always bounce back twice as hard knowing that, giving up is not in my blood, and nothing will stop me from becoming a Marine.

My Diet/Regiment's are as follows, and of course, they vary, i'm just giving the most solid parts here.

Breakfast varies day to day with these items... These are all pre workout.
Hard Boiled Egg(s)
Fresh Fruit Smoothie
1/2 Cup Oats w/ handfull of raspberry's.

45 minute Cardio workout - Treadmill/HIIT/Elliptical

weight lifting (low weight-high reps)
Pushups - Hindu/incline/decline
Varied Dumbbell Squats - 35LBS 2-3 sets 12-15 reps
Varied ab workouts/crunches
Lunges - 30/35LB weights. 2-3 sets of 15reps
Ammo Can lifts(40LBS) 2-3 sets of 30-25-20
Dumbbell Press- 2-3sets 45-50LBS at 12-15 reps.
40 count military jumping jacks
8-10 count body builders.
45Second-1Minute Planks

Post workout- snack/lunch
8-10oz Protein shake
Whole wheat bread (2slices) with 1 can of tuna mixed with honey mustard
1/2 cup of cashews/almonds.

Dinner will always contain some form of all of these items.
Chicken
turkey
Salmon
brown rice/brown pasta
Romaine salad w/spritzer
bokchoy
zuchinni
celery
carrots
Broccoli
onion
bean sprouts

My PM workout consists of half of the cardio workout, and about half of all the weight lifting. My problem is, i don't feel like i'm getting any closer. i need help! Kind-of a long post, and it may seem a bit unorganized or may not make sense. please feel free to ask questions.

So i suppose the most important part here is im wondering if fellow MFP's have diet advice, other exercises, best ways to help fat loss.

-Josh

Replies

• badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Run. On pavement, grass, sand. Go for walks, weighted, about 50 lbs or so, fast pace. Try doing an obstacle course, time yourself, do walls and crawls. Dig sone trenches, swim. Above all just prepare yourself mentally for the mind**** you are about to receive. Just remember that what does not kill you will only make you stronger. Oh and enjoy yourself, work hard party hard.
  • Stephanie198907
    Stephanie198907 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Run. On pavement, grass, sand. Go for walks, weighted, about 50 lbs or so, fast pace. Try doing an obstacle course, time yourself, do walls and crawls. Dig sone trenches, swim. Above all just prepare yourself mentally for the mind**** you are about to receive. Just remember that what does not kill you will only make you stronger. Oh and enjoy yourself, work hard party hard.

What she said. It sounds like you've hit an exercise plateu. It's time to switch it up and the workouts she suggested are perfect for preparing for the usmc. I'm preparing for the navy myself. Good luck!
  • Tempe729
    Tempe729 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Hey! I'm on a similar journey. I am training and trying to lose weight for the Navy. I'm turning 23 soon and MFP has been the best thing that's happened to me! I've lost a lot more weight & have gotten alot of encouragment & help from others. Feel free to add me! Love to help out!
  • USMCConditioning
    Options

I generally make a note to run on pavement once a week, and that happens every Sat. I haven't ran in grass for awhile, but i generally go 70-100 yard sprints in grass, and i do about 10-12 reps of those. I don't live close to any sand :( but if i did i definitely would.
  • Lora0626
    Lora0626 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Hey there. Please make sure that is something you're willing to keep up for your entire military career. I'm sitting at 19 yrs, 4 months, active duty Air Force. It doesn't get easier when you join. There are a lot of folks coming in that had to lose weight beforehand, and they are still struggling. I don't want this to sound negative, just please realize that it's a hard rode once you join too.
  • USMCConditioning
    Options
    Oh yes of course, i love being fit, i love sweating and i love being exhausted! i'm fortunate enough to get that runners high, otherwise i'm afraid i'd be in a much bigger world of hurt.
  • fitzie63
    fitzie63 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    As one who also served in the Marine Corps Reserves, many years ago, I SALUTE your dedicated efforts. You're a WINNER! Please check your email.

Oo-RAH!
  • USMCConditioning
    Options
    As one who also served in the Marine Corps Reserves, many years ago, I SALUTE your dedicated efforts. You're a WINNER! Please check your email.

Oo-RAH!

my hats off to you for your service, it's appreciate.

Also - i'll take whatever help i can get. Semper Fi.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    just wanted to wish you luck!
    lots of marines and former marines in my family.
  • USMCConditioning
    Options
    just wanted to wish you luck!
    lots of marines and former marines in my family.

Thank you :) BUT!

there is no such thing as a former marine, once a marine, always a marine. You don't go through 13 weeks of hell to only keep the name while you're in!
  • rjbalcer
    rjbalcer Posts: 57
    Options
    WOW!! I have so much respect for you...Good Luck on your Journey...And thanks in advance for your service to our AMAZING COUNTRY!
  • SaedElhadri
    Options
    Josh, I must say your dedication and determination really inspires me. Honestly I dont know you but man am I proud to know that there are still young adults like ourselves that believe in our rights and our freedom. I am also on this journey similar to yours and I want to wish you the best. LET'S GIVE EM HELL!
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I'm by no means an expert, but that's an awful lot of training. Do you take any days off?
    You mention cardio, but mainly HIIT, talking of running you say you do sprints. I'd suggest to switch it up a bit, go running outside, longer distances, maybe 5-10k 2-3 times a week, a bit of swimming and cycling wouldn't hurt either...

Good luck.
  • ariant23
    ariant23 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    WOW!! I have so much respect for you...Good Luck on your Journey...And thanks in advance for your service to our AMAZING COUNTRY!

This. :-) Thanks to all of you who are serving, and thanks in advance to all of you who plan to serve.