How much exercise is too much?

Options
On work days, I'm lucky to get in 20-30 minutes. But on the weekends (and 1/2 days at work, like today) I exercise multiple times a day. For example, this morning I did 45 minutes on the elliptical, ate a banana and did a few household chores, and then did 35 minutes of circuit training. After that, I had a good lunch and had to work for a few hours. I'm back home now, and I'd like to do a JM video, maybe 30 DS.

So, my question is, is there a point where the exercise isn't producing results? This isn't every day, so I don't worry about long term fatigue or becoming an exercise anorexic. I just wonder if there is a point where the fat doesn't burn any more.

Replies

• Pohudet
    Pohudet Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    From my personal experience, too much exercise is when you hurt yourself.
  • Gr8yassir
    Options
    Hmmmmnnn.....i thankful to especially to discuses your practical experience.
  • jennys11
    jennys11 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    If you are enjoying yourself, I don't see the problem. As long as you are eating enough and well hydrated. You'll have to eat more when you exercise more. Be sure your net intake is above your BMR. If so, you'll see the benefits. And have fun!
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    If you are enjoying yourself, I don't see the problem. As long as you are eating enough and well hydrated. You'll have to eat more when you exercise more. Be sure your net intake is above your BMR. If so, you'll see the benefits. And have fun!

This. Listen to your body, eat and drink enough, stop when you are tired. Cardio is fine everyday.
  • callmeabeast
    Options
    in my opinion (with help of a little research) it's only bad when you do this multiple days (like 3 days a week or more).
  • Angelhurt
    Angelhurt Posts: 24
    Options
    aparently you shouldn't say spend more than an hour at the gym (obv going for a long walk might be different)...i can't remember the exact reasoning but basically you then need to give you muscles time to recover...if you just keep at it you lose any benefit as your body gets tired...sorry i couldn't be more precise.......................do what you enjoy and as long as your body isn't hurting your ok im sure :)
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Thanks, guys, this is useful. I don't do things that are likely to lead to injury, and I'm well hydrated with long breaks in between. I'm trying to eat extra, but it does get hard when you burn lots of calories. When I work out consistently, I get really motivated and want to do it all the time.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    it's going to depend on your conditioning. when i was an athlete i worked out 2-3 hours a day (cardio, weights, practice and games) and didnt have any problems in terms of injuries or lack of results. but i was really fit then.

at the moment there's no way i could work out that much that intense and not have it affect me and my knees, ankles, shoulder, sleep, etc. most times i work out 6 days a week for an hour, but i've definitely had weeks where i've gone to the gym twice in day for most days of the week. basically just listen to your body
  • USMCConditioning
    Options
    I have read studies that show than anything more than 40 minutes of cardio can result is losing muscle mass, so if you do a lot of cardio, lifting is essential! low weight - high rep lifting is my main source of lifting because, like you, i do an AM workout and a PM workout. which always contains at least 60 minutes of cardio combined.

You will find different opinions everywhere, some feel that spending anymore than 60 minutes in a gym can be counter productive, also, as someone else has stated, if you are working out to the point where you are in pain, not the good pain like being muscle sore. But pain as in you feel like you need to pop a vicodin or tylenol, type of pain. You may want to take 1-2 days of rest.
  • MeliciousGibson
    Options
    Having read the response with regards to cardio and losing muscle mass...this puts me in a precarious position. I'm teaching Zumba 3 days/week (one hour each) and doing another cardio class on Fridays for 45 minutes. There are days when I add strength training to that mix, so I'm doing 2 workouts a day. Plus rehearsals for Zumba...and I'm probably doing cardio at least 5-6 days/week.

As long as my body feels like it isn't overly tired, I do my strength training that day. Probably 3-4 days/week.

I feel and look better than I have in a long time. I surprise myself constantly when I actually feel lighter taking the stairs because it isn't as difficult anymore. The fact that I can get through a 30DS session without feeling like I'm going to die. Small little victories that never cease to surprise me.

Now I'm becoming nervous that all of this fitness is going to cause my body damage!
  • USMCConditioning
    Options
    Having read the response with regards to cardio and losing muscle mass...this puts me in a precarious position. I'm teaching Zumba 3 days/week (one hour each) and doing another cardio class on Fridays for 45 minutes. There are days when I add strength training to that mix, so I'm doing 2 workouts a day. Plus rehearsals for Zumba...and I'm probably doing cardio at least 5-6 days/week.

As long as my body feels like it isn't overly tired, I do my strength training that day. Probably 3-4 days/week.

I feel and look better than I have in a long time. I surprise myself constantly when I actually feel lighter taking the stairs because it isn't as difficult anymore. The fact that I can get through a 30DS session without feeling like I'm going to die. Small little victories that never cease to surprise me.

Now I'm becoming nervous that all of this fitness is going to cause my body damage!

I'm sure results will always vary, As long as you add weight lifting to the cardio you will be fine.