toe cramping?

Options
For a while now I've had an issue with my toes cramping. It's usually my left foot, but, I have had toes cramp on my right.

Does anybody else have this issue? I don't know why, or what's causing it, but it's incredibly painful and can destroy an entire workout, because my toe cramps and I literally can no longer walk or move. It's happened with all different kinds of shoes, no shoes at all, sitting, standing, walking, anything - even skating.

It's really horrible and I don't know what to do to fix it :(

Replies

• JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    I get the same thing. For me more water and more potassium helps.
  • Smelerz
    Smelerz Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I get them too, I usually take my shoe off and just walk around until it stretches out. I have been told by a few people that it could be due to dehydration but I drink a lot of water so I'm not sure that I believe it
  • valenief
    valenief Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    water and bananas!
  • nwoww
    nwoww Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    This happens to me all the time, and usually when I've worked out hard, sweat a lot, and need to replace my electrolytes. What I have found works for me is Vitalyte...it's a powder you pour in water that helps replace what you sweat out. It doesn't have as much sugar as other replacements, and it's 40 calories a scoop. On my heavy workout days, 2 scoops will do it! Good luck:)
  • eleanoreunson
    Options
    I sometimes get toe cramp, I used to get it all the time then I started eating a banana a day, something to do with the potassium?
    It seemed to help and I hardly ever get cramp anymore and when I do I usually haven't eaten a banana for a couple of weeks!
  • hanniejong
    hanniejong Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I used to suffer really bad cramps in my calf and toes and also my ankles, I use magnesium tablets and I hardley ever suffer them now. We can just them over the counter here in Australia, I don't know about where you all live that.
  • lax75
    lax75 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Whenever I get cramps in my feet I know I've gotten dehydrated - even if I otherwise don't feel like it. Lots of water will fix it (not instantly - lol - but it's a reminder to me to pay closer attention to making sure I get enough fluids.)
  • kburns0709
    kburns0709 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    It doesn't happen to me often, but the few times it does I've just immediately come out of whatever I'm doing and I grab the toe and kind of squeeze them and move them all around. That helps for me but I don't know what you're supposed to do.
  • nickyskins
    nickyskins Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Up ur potassium intake.
  • 951heather
    951heather Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I have been getting that too, lately. I figured it is just the boots I wear to work. I am not sure, but I wish it would go away
  • pac1211
    pac1211 Posts: 1
    Options
    I find a pinch of salt helps.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    how does lack of potassium cause cramping? Anyone know?
  • krisrpaz
    krisrpaz Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I used to suffer really bad cramps in my calf and toes and also my ankles, I use magnesium tablets and I hardley ever suffer them now. We can just them over the counter here in Australia, I don't know about where you all live that.

Ditto!
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Couple people have already said it....dehydration.

You need water AND electrolytes to be properly hydrated. Sodium, potassium and magnesium are the big three for electrolytes. If this is a regular occurrence, more water by itself probably won't change things. Look for a low sugar content electrolyte supplement. I personally like Nuun because it's got basically no sugar, just the minerals and a faint flavoring. It's also in tablets you drop in a bottle of water, so no scooping and measuring.
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Nerve synapses and muscle contractions.....pretty much all internal bodily functions...are induced chemically. By rather low or rather high on certain minerals your body can't create those reactions as quickly or in the exact way as when your body chemistry is in the right balanced zone.
  • bearxfoo
    bearxfoo Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the replies!

I'm slightly confused because in the past I've taken a magnesium, potassium vitamin/supplement and saw no difference.

BUT! I will try again, and try to be more hydrated stuff.

Thanks again! :D
  • celticgladiator
    celticgladiator Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    i had problems with this too and it turned out to be gout. if it persists, see your doctor.
  • saxnviolin
    saxnviolin Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    It only happens to me when I use the elliptical for too long. My toes on my right foot get pins and needles.
    It's irritating. I stop using the elliptical and switch to treadmill or Spinning bike and it goes away.