What Cat Litter Do You Use?

Options
BodyRockerVT
BodyRockerVT Posts: 323 Member
Totally random, I know...and about as far off topic as it gets...

Just wondering what those of you with cats use for litter?

I am using fresh step scoop right now and I love almost everything about it EXCEPT that it is crazy dusty...I have 3 cats, litter is important.

Replies

• SofaKingRad
    SofaKingRad Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    I use generally the cheap stuff. It's so convenient when I put the litter box in the corner of the room. I can pee on it, then scoop the clumps out later when I'm not busy watching tv.
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    wood pellets

100% natural, dust free, keeps the smell down, doesn't smell like 'cat box', and compostable!

oh and SUPER cheap! $5 for 40lbs. I buy about 5 bags at a time, and that lasts me 6+ months.
  • DG_Allen
    DG_Allen Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Wood pellets huh?? We use those mixed with yesterday's news for our bunnies but never tried it with the cats. Your cats took to it okay??

We use Jonny Cat and just got an email that our local PetMart isn't going to carry it anymore. Our one cat is 19+ years old and we don't want to upset her routine if we can avoid it.
  • izzydino
    izzydino Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    my cat like the walmart special kitty.... it's the only reason why we go to walmart anymore
  • BodyRockerVT
    Options
    wood pellets

100% natural, dust free, keeps the smell down, doesn't smell like 'cat box', and compostable!

oh and SUPER cheap! $5 for 40lbs. I buy about 5 bags at a time, and that lasts me 6+ months.

Where does one get wood pellets? They don't clump though I would bet eh?
  • clydethecat
    clydethecat Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    arm & hammer essentials, it smells good, and the cats seem to like it. and you can get it at the grocery store.. :)
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I use Fresh Step scoopable. It's the one that all my cats seem to agree on and it doesn't smell. I've had non-cat owners come to visit and they have told me that they had no clue I had cats. That's important to me!
  • BodyRockerVT
    Options
    I use Fresh Step scoopable. It's the one that all my cats seem to agree on and it doesn't smell. I've had non-cat owners come to visit and they have told me that they had no clue I had cats. That's important to me!

Yep! That is why I am using fresh step scoop now too. I have had non-cat owners say the same thing about it not smelling like we have cats.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I use arm & hammer.
  • DG_Allen
    DG_Allen Posts: 219 Member
    Options

Where does one get wood pellets? They don't clump though I would bet eh?

We get our pellets from a Tack & Feed store in a nearby canyon area. They are sold for use as horse bedding.
  • Kristinemomof3
    Kristinemomof3 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Fresh Step as well, we have two cats and it's the only thing that helps with the odor. If it's not on sale, I buy it at Sam's Club. Also make sure you do the Pawpoints, every little bit helps and they do add up and you can get more free litter.
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Wood pellets huh?? We use those mixed with yesterday's news for our bunnies but never tried it with the cats. Your cats took to it okay??

We use Jonny Cat and just got an email that our local PetMart isn't going to carry it anymore. Our one cat is 19+ years old and we don't want to upset her routine if we can avoid it.

My cats didn't care...they actually didn't like the clumping stuff.

And no, the wood pellets don't 'clump' when liquids come into contact with them, they turn into sawdust, the solid stuff either gets covered in sawdust or pellets (actually the sawdust will dry them out-hence no smell). Once you have mostly sawdust, I toss everything and dump in new pellets.

Most cats will take to the change if you mix new litter with old litter, 75 old/25 new, 50/50, 25/75, for a few weeks.
  • OnMyWeigh464
    OnMyWeigh464 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Walmart store brand clumpable
  • Larry0445
    Larry0445 Posts: 232
    Options
    I have a toilet....don't need cat litter. :laugh:
  • akjmart2002
    akjmart2002 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    World's Best Litter

Made of corn, not dusty at all. It's clumping and doesn't kick up the allergies like a lot of clay-based litter does. Our two large cats love it.

http://www.amazon.com/Worlds-Best-Multiple-Clumping-Packaging/dp/B000QSMQ62/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333754826&sr=8-1

Best of all, it works very well in this magnificent litter box:

Omega Paw Self-cleaning Litter Box
    http://www.amazon.com/Omega-Paw-Self-Cleaning-Litter-Large/dp/B000LVGL1A/ref=sr_1_2?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1333754970&sr=1-2
  • rudegyal_b
    rudegyal_b Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    "worlds best litter" is my fave, but its expensive
  • kissy28wv
    kissy28wv Posts: 74
    Options
    I use the new Arm&hammer but I am now curious about Fresh step and its odor eliminating. I have 3 cats and I hate the "cat smell".
  • CollisionofNova
    Options
    I buy whatever is cheapest, clumping and unscented. I make a point to scoop every three days, max. I figure if I flush the toilet every time I use it, it'd be nice if I could do the same for my kitty.
  • CarolinaGirlinVA
    CarolinaGirlinVA Posts: 1,512 Member
    Options
    We use the big box of Tidy Cat for multiple cats, I have been thinking about using Fresh Step though.

I just wish my male cat's pee would clump. Instead it turns into a clay/paste type texture and is a pain to scoop out. This is nothing new, he just turned 16.
  • PrincessLou71186
    PrincessLou71186 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I used to use anti bacterial litter.

When II started letting him outside he started doing his business there also so we got rid of the litter tray.