1 week on Metformin

Options
Hi all --
Just for some background information....I came off BCP about 7 years ago due to a surgical induced blood clot. Since that time, my weight steadily creeped up. About 2 years ago - I got serious -- joined a gym and got a personal trainer. At first, the weight came off. I lost 35 pounds and was 20 pounds away from my goal weight - one year ago. Since that time, I have consistently stayed with the trainer, watched what I ate, yet I have gained back the weight. Now -- I am in shape -- all the work out I do -- I am fit and fat! My sizing has only changed by one size, vs. me losing 4 sizes with the 35 pounds. But I am frustrated.

Also 3 years ago - I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. In comes the first med by family dr. After 2 years on synthroid, the dr decided for whatever reason, that I should see an endocrinologist. This was at the same time as me complaining that I was not losing any weight on a very moderate diet - I think I was doing weight watchers at that time. I tracked my food on WW and on MFP. Gave dr both of my food diaries. I have even seen a nutritionist.

August 2011 - Went to endo - she ordered complete blood work up. Everything comes back good - including thyroid - except Vitamin D. She would not talk to me about anything until Vitamin D was rectified -- Fast forward to March 2012. see endo again. Vitamin D is good. thyroid out of wack again. Up meds for thyroid. Gained 12 pounds. Still working out like a mad woman at gym - cardio and weight training. Dr feels my neck...looks at my blood work...I have a high normal insulin level. Says she suspsects me of one of two things - insulin resistance and/or PCOS. Either way -- treatment is the same. Metformin. She explained in very medical terms both. but long story short - -that between these two - either one can cause my body to hold onto weight.

I began the metformin the next day - last Tuesdsay. I have lost 6 pounds. I no longer feel bloated. I can feel my abdomen shrinking. Due to the exhaustion from my thyroid being off, I skipped a week at the gym. I now can't wait to get back tonight.

I have also learned that insulin resistant people should go low carb - this explains my very good success with Atkins about 5 years ago. duh that I didn't put two and two together. But alas -- went back to carbs, and weight came back.

That's my story. I know I left a lot of details out. but no one wants to read every little thing. :-) Yes, for the first 2 days on, I had the stomach upset. But I had IBS due to the liver producing so much fat and bile before. It was just a little thing for me to go through. Since day 3, that has completely stopped and my IBS is not bothering me either!!

I know its early in the game, but if this is the cure for me, I am thrilled. Thanks for reading.

Replies