Vegetarian/Vegan Diets?

Options
I've been thinking about becoming a vegetarian for a while now, and recently read a book that made me really think about the extra toxins in meats, and the inhumane ways animals are treated. My question really is how hard is it, and how do you feel with that kind of diet(energy levels, getting sick, etc.), and on a health based level, not considering anything else, would you say its better?

Replies

• CollisionofNova
    Options
    I've been vegetarian for 10 years, vegan for seven. I can't really comment on the energy levels because I have chronic fatigue syndrome, but I did feel better when I made the switch.

I also get sick very, very rarely. Even if I do, it's gone much faster than my friends/family.

I monitor my food intake and nutrient counts pretty strictly because ignoring it is the quickest way to feel like crap. I'd recommend seeing a nutritionist once or twice to set up a generalized meal plan, so you can get an idea of what your meals and habits should look like.

I'm not going to tell you that it's better, because we're not the same person. If you want to know if it makes you feel better...try it!
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Just a thought, you could also consider finding sources for animal products which are humanely raised. localharvest.org is a good start. This can be hard to do depending on where you live, vegetarianism might be a better bet.

Or if you're a little crazy like me, you could start raising chickens. :D They are for both meat and eggs, because I decided that if I couldn't do it myself, I had no right buying eggs/meat from somewhere else. But like I said, that's just me.
  • meggiewes
    meggiewes Posts: 19
    Options
    I don't think it would be bad for a person. I have been going on and off eating more vegetarian based ever since I got my gallbladder out. I started when my gallbladder started making me sick and a lot of fat would cause pain. Eating vegetarian helped me get a lot of fat out of my diet and I started eating better as a result. Now I eat more vegetables because of my experimentation with vegetarian and vegan diets. I also plan on incorporating more vegetarian meals when I get my own house because I like the way the food tastes.

So, if you want to try it then do so. You will know if it isn't working for you.
  • angelashay42
    Options
    Your energy levels depend on what you eat. If you consider yourself a vegetarian but only eat junk food and processed simple sugars/carbs, you're going to be exhausted and feel crappy. (Obviously) However, if you watch your protein levels closely and eat lots of fresh fruits, vegetables, dairy (if not vegan), legumes, soy products, etc. your energy levels should be the same, if not better than a meat diet.
    I didn't notice any difference when I first became a vegetarian (over a year ago) because I wasn't eating enough protein. When I started MFP and started watching my protein intake carefully, I felt a lot better. I'm less tired, I have more energy, and I haven't gotten sick once all year. I also take vitamins and exercise a little every day.
    I love being a vegetarian and don't plan on going back anytime soon.
  • islandjumper
    islandjumper Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I've been vegetarian for over 10 years now. I am much healthier, get sick less and have more energy than I did when I was a meat eater...But it's worth mentioning that I've never been big on meat. I've never 'enjoyed' a steak...my primary meat sources when I was growing up were generally breaded and/or processed. When I first became vegetarian it took some time for me to learn how to eat without resorting to lots of breads, pastas and empty calories.
    I love being vegetarian, and can't imagine myself going back to eating meat. It wasn't difficult at all for me to transition but I know that's just me.
    I don't normally take supplements because I do my best to get everything I can from my food, but I have a B12 I do occasionally take, and recently I've added a protein powder (chickpea based) to up the amount of protein I eat everyday.
  • sanjoparolas
    sanjoparolas Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    For more discussions on this topic, search for the vegetarian and vegan groups on this site. My own experience has been great so far so I don't have any interest in the standard American diet anymore.
  • angelashay42
    Options
    It's not that difficult, btw. There are a lot of soy protein based products out there that look and taste just like meat. Gardein makes really good faux chicken fingers and veggie burgers. Use those to help you adjust. Most restaurants offer a vegetarian option... even if they don't, I just order a la carte. After a month or two, it becomes easier and you get used to it. Thansksgiving was difficult for me because my family is big on the meat, (they even put it in the stuffing and mashed potatoes) but other than that, I haven't had any trouble. It actually makes me more conscious about what I'm eating and helps with losing weight.
  • tania2287
    tania2287 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I was a vegan for 15 years now l eat chicken only

I have over 500 receipts if you wish for anything let me know..
  • celticgladiator
    celticgladiator Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    i have recently switched to a plant based diet and have found it pretty easy actually. there are so many great recipes and products that i hardly miss eating meat at all. i actually have more energy and since i dont eat a lot of veg junk food, i have been losing a lot of weight. i read the Engine 2 Diet and thought i'd give it a shot. much easier than i ever dreamed. good luck!!
  • mixedfeelings
    mixedfeelings Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian for 10 years, it would have been 12 years but five years in I started eating meat again, this didn't last long as along with the guilt I felt awful. I think it sounds more restrictive than it is , I mean there are things to avoid but there is just so much food out there. I have more energy but I also noticed other weirder changes, I became less aggressive and my bm's were well healthier :blushing:

I was a big meat and fish eater before but I really don't miss it, there is plenty of fake stuff out there which is nice enough. If it's something you think you want to do then go for it there isn't that much you are missing by not eating meat that you can't get from other food.
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian for a while. I was never a big meat eater so I don't know how hard it is who does like meat. I'm never tired, I eat a balanced diet to get everything I need. My diary is open if you want some food ideas. I don't use meat replacements really much anymore. I did tonight though ;). Most my meals don't use it though. I use protein powder because I'm trying to get more in my diet.
  • shan_0517
    shan_0517 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ktrauzzi
    ktrauzzi Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. I have largely omitted meat from my diet but I still eat it. I would miss it far too much to give it up completely. The vegetarians I know do not eat healthy and they are large people. My husband is one of them and while his health is fine, I find that my brother in laws family (which is my husbands brother, wife, and two young sons) are more sick than everyone else I know. So I'm not sure if that's connected to their diet or if it's just that they have a worse immune system. I would say try it for a bit and see how YOU feel.
  • Ttopeka
    Ttopeka Posts: 160
    Options
    Without knowing what you eat now, it's difficult to say how "hard" it is. I didn't find switching to a vegetarian diet to be difficult at all, but like a previous poster, I was never big on eating meat in the first place. Any meat I had was "in/on" something - i.e. tacos, in a hamburger, etc. -- I was never one to just munch down on fleshy pieces like chicken or steak. The hardest part for me was to not fall back on too many carbs (pizza, pasta, etc.) but that's mostly because I'm a pasta-holic.

Since I had a largely vegetarian diet (remember, not a big fan of meat) even before I "converted" I can't comment on a change in healthy, energy levels, etc. -- but my boyfriend has since converted to a vegetarian diet, and he does agree that he feels healthier and less bogged down ever since he stopped eating meat.

You shouldn't have to worry about energy or getting sick as long as you eat a healthy, well-rounded diet. Simply cutting meat out does not make you healthier; making healthier choices does.

I'd definitely say it's better. One completely random and insignificant reason but I've always enjoyed as a little perk: I get my food on airplanes first ;) I know airplane meals aren't exactly wonderful, but I've always found that the veg options are MUCH better than the non-veg options, plus...they give out "special" meals first. So instead of waiting until the attendant goes through EVERYONE on the plane first, I get mine brought straight to my seat at the beginning of meal time...haha. If you don't travel much that won't make a difference but I do personally get a bit of a kick out of it!
  • Red7Basil
    Red7Basil Posts: 36
    Options
    Your energy levels depend on what you eat. If you consider yourself a vegetarian but only eat junk food and processed simple sugars/carbs, you're going to be exhausted and feel crappy. (Obviously) However, if you watch your protein levels closely and eat lots of fresh fruits, vegetables, dairy (if not vegan), legumes, soy products, etc. your energy levels should be the same, if not better than a meat diet.

This above states it pretty well. Don't eat more carbs just because you're a vegetarian. As for being ill, I have had NO adverse effects from not eating meat. In fact, I feel much, much better. I have never been sick after not eating meat and I did when eating meat (even while using MFP).

I have severely limited my meat intake but I cannot say I am a strict vegetarian. At the most, I eat meat once a week, for one meal. When I decided to eat a more vegetarian diet, one of the rules I set for myself was to not inconvenience others. For example, if I am visiting my family, I eat what is for dinner and not make anyone feel guilty about eating meat and/or make me a special meal.

Good luck! You should give it a try!
  • caramelbaloney
    Options
    Regarding health, they don't seem inherently better, or worse, than omnivorous diets. For human and environmental health, it's best to eat low on the food chain. For some this means vegetarianism, for others this means grass-fed, free range animals. Also perhaps the way to go if you're concerned about inhumane treatment. Let's not kid ourselves, though; there isn't enough grass in the world for everyone to eat free range animals, which is why only a very small percentage of our meat is produced this way. Being vegetarian or vegan isn't hard if it's something you really care about and want to do. Then again, it's not a huge deal to eat meat once in a while if you aren't vegetarian for ethical reasons.
  • Rollingstone74
    Options
    I was vegan for 5ish yrs, and only recently started eating fish and chicken. Seem to have a lot stronger immune system, if I do get a cold it's gone within a day. I was constantly getting colds, flu, respiratory infections that lasted for weeks. I finally went to a nutritionist and first suggestion was vegitarian. I found lots of online support and soon after went to a rice based vegan diet intead of soy. I worked a very physically demanding job with regular 18+ hr shifts and never had a problem with energy. The only supplement I took was spirulina.